If You Don’t Have Anything Nice to Say..

As we get older face-to-face contact decreases while social networking is constantly on the rise. Social networks like Twitter and Facebook have become the place to go when you need to know the latest gossip or see what is on a person’s mind. However, when do social networking posts go to far? I believe that social networking is being turned into a place where teens can posts all their opinions without having to see the reactions of whom the opinions effect. Just recently a teacher died who taught at my high school and instead of these girls expressing their condolences via twitter they were saying “hey wasn’t she that B****y teacher who yelled at us for getting cookies in the lunch room?” and unfortunately the conversation continues from there and does not increase in sympathy at any point. What I don’t understand is how people, to begin with, can talk bad about someone who was just killed in a car accident and then go and post those opinions on a social network where all of the students who are suffering from the loss can see it. I mean I knew this teacher and if she yelled at these girls for getting cookies she probably had a reason to yell at them. People think that it is okay to post whatever they want because they don’t see or hear the reactions of the people they are harming. This post angered a lot of students and I don’t blame them. I feel like when it comes to such a serious situation like a teacher dying then people should abide by the kindergarten rule that ‘if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all.’

This entry was posted in RCL and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.