Why “Friends”?

At first glance, this blog can seem a little obsessive. Yes, I think it is not too far of a stretch to say that I am a fan of the television show, Friends. This show is without a doubt my all time favorite television program. It makes me smile when I’m having a bad day, and I can recite almost every episode verbatim. My reasoning behind theming this blog about Friends is driven by my love for the show, but it is also enforced by all of the critical acclaim and pop culture influence the series received and bestowed during it’s decade of syndication. Yes, I just said it, and its true, Friends was in primetime syndication from 1994-2004. While some people say its too long, or not enough I think it was perfect. This show influenced so many people. From people casually using the status of a relationship as “on a break”, to the millions of ladies getting the “Rachel” hair-do. From guys using the pick up line, “How you doin'”, to busting out the guitar and jamming to “Smelly Cat”. Friends did something for everyone who took the time to tune in. Even today it is still making an impact, Nickelodeon’s Nick at Nite recently picked up syndication of the show and airs at least two episodes every week day. The show can also be found on TBS and it is still one of the highest grossing TV on DVD sales item of all time. This November, Friends fans will get to see the episodes for the first time in Blu-Ray High Definition. I myself already have a copy reserved on Amazon. Even the fact that the company is rereleasing the series shows how timeless it is. Well that’s enough for the boring stuff. Starting next blog post I’m going to introduce all of the characters and begin my take on the wonderful story that is Season One of Friends!