RSS Feed

The Best Defense is a Good Offense

February 22, 2015 by Josh Cetnar   

If the best defense is a good offense, then the best way to save money is to make money. As loyal followers, I’m sure you’ve all read my blog from last semester outlining the issues involved with getting a job on campus. If you haven’t, you might find it interesting if you are thinking about pursuing a campus job. I worked as a tutor at psuknowhow last semester, but I found the time commitment to be too much to handle. So instead of pushing an hourly job on you, here’s a few ways to make some cash without committing to a job.

Courtesy of Open Clip Art

1. Online Surveys

Do you want to make your opinion heard? Well, here’s a way you can do just that and make a little cash on the side. I signed up with mysurvey.com and it’s been a great way to earn a little money while watching TV or when I need to blow a little time. You can even do some of them on your phone. If you want more examples of survey sites check out The Penny Hoarder. It’s a great blog that has some great ways to earn and save money. Kyle Taylor, the founder of The Penny Hoarder, says, “I often find that with survey companies, I’m working for only $7-8/hour. But, it is easy work and if you’re interested in this type of work.” If you want something to do during commercial breaks, this is a nice way to earn some cash.

Courtesy of Wikimedia

2. Start a YouTube Channel

Ok, I’ll admit that I really don’t have much experience with making YouTube videos. However, maybe you like making videos or doing things that others might like too! The main question is how do you make money. If you’re serious about starting a channel, check out this article which clearly explains how you get paid. The short answer is that you get paid a share (about 50%)  of advertising money rather than by the view on your video. This means that maximizing your viewers’ interaction with the ads is what will pay you the best. You will start collecting money as soon as you have a $100 balance.

Courtesy of Missoula Chamber

3. BioLife

Got blood? Well plasma actually. If you do, (which I really hope you do) that means you could make between $250 – $400 a month by spending two hours a week donating plasma at BioLife, conveniently located at 321 West Beaver Avenue. It sounds kinda weird that you are selling your bodily fluids, but it’s actually a great system. It allows patients to get the treatments they need, and you get a prepaid debit card. Unfortunately, I cannot speak from experience, but I encourage you to talk to other people who have done it. Check this site to view an FAQ about plasma donation.

4. Use Your Skills!

There are so many ways to uniquely use your own personal talents to make a little extra money. Many students can make some cash tutoring whether it is with an organization or solo. Other things might include giving instrument lessons for those who are musically inclined. Maybe you know photoshop and you can do a little graphic design work or touch up prom pictures for a small fee. Think of the things you can do well and there may be something you can do with those skills. If you can’t think of anything, go learn something! There are tons of online tutorials to help you learn whatever you want to know!

2 Comments »

1. Jess Thompson says:

I’ve always wanted to try doing those online surveys to make money, but never knew if it was worth the time. I’ll have to check it out! Also, I remember walking by that Biolife building and wondering what it was talking about with blood plasma. If I wasn’t so queasy around blood I would probably do that too because thats a lot of money.

2. jow5365 says:

I have some experience in trying to make money online, and I can honestly say that the best way to make money is to get an in-person job. I’ve found things like surveys to be worthless; if you break it down to the amount of time you spend on it, you’re getting paid way below minimum wage. Another way to make money I would suggest is selling stuff you already have. We as Americans tend to have a lot of stuff, and it’s nice to get rid of it through eBay, Craigslist, etc.

You must be logged in to post a comment.