Print Shortlink

This I Believe Draft

As the sun begins to dull

As the moon begins to shine

When the streets start to empty and

When the skies start to bustle

Such is when my reality closes to an end

and there opens an even greater land existing purely in my mind.

Exactly how great this land is, I will never know. For there are simply way too many possibilities of different places to go.

I’ve ventured in the vast and measureless deserts and explored the ancient mysteries that encircle the almighty pyramids and sphinxes.

I’ve ridden spike-encrusted dragons through all the clouds, while fighting for my life against dark figures who I will never see again.

I have also ruled seven kingdoms over and over again, spreading my law ever so rapidly throughout the lands.

I have even sailed the seven seas on the best ships of all, waging battles and witnessing, for the first time, the most horrid creatures ever to exist in the deep pits of the oceans.

I have lived. I have died. I have been in the bloodiest of all battles, clashed against the fiercest of all swordsmen, sailed amongst the cruelest of all pirates, and rushed through mystical lands atop seemingly unthinkable creatures.

But it doesn’t end there.

I, too, have lived more realistic lives but in many different ways. Sometimes, I was the richest man in the world, carelessly squandering my money anywhere I went.

Other times, I was as poor as a pauper, struggling through daily tasks, and pulling my seemingly heavier body weight around just for survival.

I have experienced the life of the leader of a nation. I’ve even been an NBA player before, endlessly scoring on the opposing team. Companies I created have resulted in being more expansive than Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and beyond. Olympic swim races I have been in have awarded me numerous gold medals.

And then there are times when I’ve seemingly stepped back into reality, but not quite.

The times have shown me, simply me, right where I was at the time.

I’ve once been the better swimmer on my high school swim team that I’ve always wanted to be.

I’ve once performed flawlessly in each of the exams that I previously thought were impossible.

I’ve even been the more confident man that I needed to be in the most dire of school situations.

Best of all, I have been in situations never to be forgotten.

And that is all as the moon begins to dull

As the sun begins to shine

When the skies start to empty

and when the streets start to bustle

Such is when my dreamland closes to an end

and there opens an even greater land existing right in front of me

Where I can control each action that I do

Each path that I take

And how successful I turn out to be

Anything, even those seemingly only existent in dreams, can be made possible in reality.

And This I Believe.

3 Responses

1. Your piece is really unique, I like the organization and flow. Ending with your “I believe” statement works nicely, but you may want to make it more deliberate or direct. Regardless, you captured my attention and kept my interest.

2. I really like how you organized it kind of like a poem and used the paragraph from the beginning at the end too. At the same time, I’m a little confused about your topic. Is it “I believe that I can be anything I want to be”? Or is it “I believe in the power of imagination” or “I believe in dreams”? I’m not sure. That gets lost somewhere among the fluff of poetic words and vivid imagery. Definitely specify what you actually believe in at the end. Other than that it is very strong. There seem to be a few repetitions with some of the fantastical imagery so definitely try to keep it concise at some parts and be careful not to repeat. I do like how you also described your more realistic dreams, that added a lot. Good stuff!

3. This is a really good script. It flows really well together and has a sense of longing about the dream world that we rarely get to make reality. Dreams really do make our hopes come true, at least for a time and the script really personifies that. The only thing that was a little confusing for the first 7 lines was what the topic was. I would maybe include something that hints towards dreams, maybe something about how the scene just ends and your back in the real world. Other than that, its a really good script.