One component in particular that I find beautiful and powerful about pride parades is the complete inclusivity. Pride parades provide a very unique and indescribable sense of unity for the LGBT community. All identities on the LGBT spectrum are celebrated in these parades, therefore my archive will include all identities as well. No single LGBT+ identity is more central than others in a pride parade, however, some may appear to be more common, or more often discussed. Since the focus of my archive is the events and planning prior to the Christopher Street Liberation Day March, it will, by nature, be set in older times, around the 1960’s to be exact. In these times, it appears from my research that gay and lesbian identities were most common of all identities on the LGBT spectrum. Therefore, my archive may reference to gay and lesbian identities more often, although overall, I’ll be discussing the LGBT community as a whole.

Being set in the 1960’s, there are several prominent intersectional concerns. This time in history was a significant one f0r diversity expansion in society. Not only was the LGBT community beginning to be more widely accepted and celebrated, but the same went for races, ethnicities, religions, and more. This increased acceptance of diversity, however, came with challenges. Intersectional concerns within the LGBT community at this time existed within individuals of multiple stigmatized identities, such as black gay men, Muslim lesbian women, low-income transgenders, etc. I will try to find items to further discuss the intersectional concerns present in the times leading up to the Christopher Street Liberation Day March, in order to make my archive as wholesome as possible.

Identities on the LGBT Spectrum (Prompt A) – Blog Post #2

One thought on “Identities on the LGBT Spectrum (Prompt A) – Blog Post #2

• June 4, 2018 at 3:37 pm
    Permalink

Hello Sofia!
    I love the pictures on the side of the archive because they really do add a sense of pride and allows individuals to see what pride parades and marches are typically like. Many individuals in the LGBTQ community have actually not even attended a pride parade, so I think that learning and seeing what they are typically like is great! There is definitely not a single LGBT+ identity that is more central than others in a pride parade because this is a time of unity and representation of the entire community with all of the subcultures of the LGBT+ community as well. I think it would be interesting to see how the archive is able to include intersectionality with the Christopher Street Liberation Day March because intersectionality has been a fairly new concept in regards to being studied.

Reply