Blog 5

(A) What subculture(s) are involved in your Archive Project topic? What defines the people in this subculture, and how do they recognize one another? What codes or special language helps to differentiate who is inside and outside of the subculture? Referring to the readings for this lesson and the experiences of people in those subcultures, discuss how the status of a subculture is beneficial to or detrimental to the people involved in your Archive Project topic.

In my Archive Project, I have items of literatures, articles, musics, and movie. In these subcultures, people are defined by the value of its society, which the majority group in the society is the absolute. Everyone has the same standards like the appearance, food, living standards, and more. However, some of the subcultures are fictions, so the characters would act whatever they want in their society (but the society is still against the minority). From these fictions, artists want to express the gap of fiction and reality of “value” in the society. In the fiction, characters will be criticized, however, they will find a true love by the end, which won’t happen easily in the reality. Since these subcultures are pop cultures, it is easy to define the inside and outside of the subcultures. For example, music and movie have special languages; lyric and script. Subculture is something to encourage people to “face up to a hostile world” (Radclyffe Hall, “Why Did I Write The Well of Loneliness”, page. 171), the author expected to meet an unpleasant consequence, notoriety, in the society, but she believed that it could be a power for the readers and LGBTQ communities. Similarly, most of the items in my Archive, the artists are also encourage the audiences to be who they are, whether the society do or do not accept them.

This entry was posted in Blog.

2 thoughts on “Blog 5

1. I agree with you that a common trait of the artists in your archive have an overall value of encouraging audiences to be who they are. As for fictions, I agree that always having a “happily ever after” moment may not be reflective of society. I believe these stories could be models that encourage the love from society the LGBT community currently lacks. Love always wins, and we all deserve a happily ever after when expresssing who we truly are. How do you think we as humans could model this love in society? What morals could we pull from these fictional stories in regards to acceptance and love to the LGBT community?

2. I love how you defined and explained all the areas where your subcultures reside. I like how you were able to also bring forth how each subculture had its form of special language, even when the item you described was a fictional item. This helps to bring forth my better understanding of your project. I am interested to know what would happen if, for example, an outside party found out more about these subcultures and their codes and special languages. Would something similar happen to these people as would happen if gay people’s subculture back then was exposed and found out?