Blog 6

(B) Discuss how lived experiences are documented in archives. Is there something essentially queer about that kind of archiving?

In my archive, I have some lived experiences that are documented as an article or a bibliography. Those documents are used to talk about their life experiences and stories about their partners. One example is Billy Tipton, a transgender jazz pianist, who hided his first “sex” from everyone he knew for the whole life until he died.  In the article, the author wrote about how he spent his life as a transgender jazziest, and as a father in a family. Such articles are essential queer because they can express the attitudes of the society that toward the LGBTQ+ community at that time, and what LGBTQ+ people feel about themselves at that time. Articles could give readers about summarized stories of a moment, place, time, and people. These are important in my archive because they will show the reality of the society at that time, which could be a criteria to compare with other countries. Moreover, articles are simple to read, which the readers can understand, and take the information in easily and quickly. So these documented articles are essential in my archive.

This entry was posted in Blog.

2 thoughts on “Blog 6

1. I love how you include lived experiences and I agree that they are very essential to your archive. In my opinion, they are also able to bring forth the distinction between Western and Eastern Asia even more. They are able to help the reader navigate more between these differences and, overall, help keep your archive very well rounded.

2. Place is a very important aspect of your archive! This shows the correlation between society and the individual perspectives of each person in your archive. This could show the impact society had on their feelings and viewpoints at the time. Did you notice a difference in these relations over the years when creating your archive?