Penn State Sports – Show Some Team Spirit!

Welcome back to another passion blog of the semester! 

For this week’s installment of After Hours At State we are going to focus on some of the various sporting events that take place around campus throughout the year!

Now a quick disclaimer I have yet to attend any of the games in person but I was able to watch some online and on tv. For my rankings, I will be focusing on how interesting I found the sport and how strong the school spirit through the student section was.

See the source image

Football – 10/10

Starting off strong with most student’s favorite sport team Penn State’s football team. Being part of the Big 10 conference our team is good at what they do. Now being from Ohio I try my best to stay impartial on football politics in order to not become a target of their football propaganda. At the beginning of the school year our floor would spend the day together and go tailgating then head back to the dorm to watch the games together and this was so much fun. You could see the fireworks from our dorm building and you could feel the energy radiating off of the stadium. This has to be the most inclusive school sport. I feel as though almost all students can have fun whether they like football or not.

Image result for penn state sports

Ice Hockey – 10/10

For our second sport I am a little biased as I grew up watching hockey games. I love to watch the men’s hockey team and I especially love the energy that comes from the student section when our team scores. I am always indulged in the game and get super competitive. This has to be my all time favorite but a close second with the football games.

Baseball 9/10

I absolutely love baseball and the cheering that comes from the stands as you yell to your team to run faster. I was friends with a lot of people who played baseball back home and it was so much fun. I cannot wait until I can watch some Penn State baseball games here on campus. 

Basketball 8/10

I watched a few games in our dorm lobby while making dinner and it was fun! I can always tell when a basketball game is happening as the Bryce Jordan Center roof lights up like a light show. The first time this happened I was amazed and blown away. I am not really involved in watching basketball but it is still fun to watch and especially with the NCAA tournament coming up. 

Wrestling 7/10

Now wrestling games I am also somewhat biased as my high school had a great group of wrestlers who even made it to states. I also have a couple of cousins who wrestle so I am obliged to be somewhat familiar with the sport.

See the source image

Questions of the day:

• What is your favorite Penn State team to watch?
  • What does your NCAA bracket look like/ who do you think will win?
  • Did you play any sports in high school and do you plan on playing in college?

5 thoughts on “Penn State Sports – Show Some Team Spirit!”

1. Hi! I think your blog topic of choice is so interesting and that you do a great job each time expressing honest views upon a particular part of campus. My favorite part is your rating out of 10 for each and the question of the day at the end. I think it makes your post more interesting than it already is!

2. I love to watch the basketball games, but do not really care about the result, just the sport. Which also means that I do not have a bracket. I used to play basketball competitively for a travel team, so I am very biased with the sport. However, baseball is my second favorite sport to watch, along with rugby.

3. Hey Kayla I realled enjoyed reading your post today! I definitely agree and feel like football is top of the list with the most school spirit. It it one of my favorite games to go to especially the white out game!!

4. Football has to be my favorite sport to watch whether that be professional or collegiate. The intensity and energy are unmatched except in basketball. I am actually currently training to get onto the team in the near future.

5. My favorite/the only Penn State team that I’ve seen play this year would be the football team. I didn’t get season tickets so I could only go to a couple games, but it was a great experience both times. I did not fill out an NCAA bracket this year + do not know any of the teams. In high school I did football and track and do not plan to continue either in college.