Advocacy Project Plan

So for my topic of jury nullification, I’ve decided to go out and inform citizens about this power that juries have, but do not often know about. The Advocacy Fair at the HUB is a great platform for me to spread this information, so I plan on working from a  table on April 18th and 19th. My audience is all U.S. citizens, but specifically those who are eligible to serve on juries. Most of the people here at Penn State fit this profile, so I have a large audience in that regard.  As for who I am in all of this, I’ll be advocating for my fellow citizens, trying to inform them about a right they have as jurors. One advantage I have here is that I am on the same level as them, so I’m not appealing to a higher authority or group, nor talking down to a group below me.

The purpose of my time at the Advocacy Fair is to get information about jury nullification into the hand of potential jurors. I’ll give them a little background, explain what jury nullification is, hand them a pamphlet, answer any questions they have, then rinse and repeat for as long as I can. I think the audience will be able to handle all the information I give out, and if not then I will be sure to be well-informed enough that I can either answer their questions directly or point them to other materials that can.

The advocacy here is situational, as I will be defining how jury nullification has been used for good in the past, and how people should know more about it. I plan on printing out pamphlets that interested members of the audience can take with them, and having a display stand that has most of the relevant information on it. I’ll need to summarize the history and controversy surrounding jury nullification for the sake of space and so the audience doesn’t have to read and read and read a tri-fold display.

Overall I’m feeling pretty good about this project, I know I have a lot of work to do but the cause is a worthy one!

6 responses to “Advocacy Project Plan

1. I think that HUB is a great place to reach a lot of students. I also like the idea of your project. You are informing students of a little known right they have as jury members, and I think that will help you capture a lot of students’ attention about your topic. I recommend having a visually appealing display board to capture attention to your project.

2. Having a pamphlet in addition to the display is a great idea. That way, people won’t just forget what you said. Seeing how passionate you are about the topic will definitely help keep viewers’ attention. This is a pretty unique topic, so I’m sure you’ll generate an audience with curiousity.

3. This sounds like a great idea, having it at the advocacy fair, because there will be so many people to target. Also, I think the idea of a pamphlet is great because people will be able to take something with them! It sounds like you’ve got a good start so far!

4. I agree, the HUB is an AWESOME place in which you can hand our information to members of the university! I think that people will take interest due to the fact that it is so different! Bah, this is exciting!

5. This is good that you are spreading genuinely important and empowering information to the people can use it. I do think there is a slight barrier in getting the viewers’ attention, as we don’t really think of ourselves as potential jurors that often nor have a positive/exciting association with jury duty.

6. I think the advocacy fair would be a great place to advocate for jury nullification. This allows you access to a large audience of people from the same college aged demographic. It’s good that this allows you to reach out to a large number of people because I feel as though this is an issue that people don’t really know too much about.