Does Social Anxiety Have You Wanting to Conceal Your Identity When You Go Out? Carnevale May be For You.

Although Italy may not be the most ideal destination of travel currently, it is still important to consider this wonderful place in future travel plans. If you are unsure of what to do leading up to lent, I would suggest making a trip to Venice, Italy to see what “Carnevale” has to offer.

If you have never had the slight fantasy of attending a masquerade ball or any large event where people’s identities are concealed until a final reveal, you should seriously consider how fun it would be. Carnevale is a two-week-long celebration leading up to Lent, either in the streets of Venice with candle-lit parade boats, concerts, and street performers, or at opulent masquerade balls that tend to require invitations and have steep ticket prices, there is something for everyone to enjoy and take part in, regardless if you are looking to splurge or simply have a free spectacle. This may sound like a free-for-all, but this festival is deeply rooted in Venice’s history. During the 40-day Lent period, parties were off-limits, and so was eating foods like meat, fats, and sugars. This festival acted as a “release” of these sorts of cravings so people could get everything out of their systems before committing to Lent. In fact, the word Carnevale may come from the Latin words carne and vale, meaning “farewell to meat”, so it makes sense that this festival is named as such. It is said that it started in 1162 when the townspeople celebrated a victory over the Patriarch of Aquileia. Although many societal factors over the years since caused fluctuations in the Carnevale festival, the tradition has managed to stay celebrated even today.

A large part of this celebration is the Venetian masks. Although wearing masks has been a strange and specific target of bans over the centuries, including Mussolini’s ban of the celebrations altogether, it did not stifle the mask tradition. Masks were historically worn during promiscuous endeavors, and even when carrying out daily tasks. While wearing masks out in the streets, state inquisitors and spies could question citizens without fear of their true identity being discovered, and citizens could answer without fear of recognition. The morale of the people was maintained through the use of masks. With no faces, everyone had voices. This practice stimulated the society of Venice to allow it to develop into such a rich culture with elaborate history. The masks are handcrafted from paper-mache and wildly decorated with fur, fabric, gems, or feathers. They can be very expensive depending on how much detail is included in it, so make sure to choose a mask based on your budget. Overall, this event, with its rich history and unique events is something that should definitely be included on your bucket list. Make sure to hold on tight to your friends at this festival because it is easy to lose yourself, and them, in this incredible masked Italian celebration.

5 thoughts on “Does Social Anxiety Have You Wanting to Conceal Your Identity When You Go Out? Carnevale May be For You.”

1. I have always been intrigued by the concept of masquerades or Carnevale, but I never knew the rich history surrounding it. This insane spectacle of excess is one which I would one day like to attend.

2. I can’t imagine the amount of work that goes into the making of these masks — they are individual works of art. Like Tess, I am also fascinated by the idea of a masquerade, so I’ll make sure to stop by if I am ever nearby at the time. It is also interesting just how integrated the practice is in their culture and history.

3. Masks are definitely something that a lot of different cultures take pride in. It’s definitely evident through the elaborate features and the handcrafted intricacies that the makers put into their work.

4. This event is crazy cool! I especially loved how you worded this line “With no faces, everyone had voices” because it really exemplifies the nature of this festival.

5. Carnevale seems like a really awesome way to “release” after the cleanse of a strict lent. The art and history involved in this festival is awesome!