RCL Post- Devastation Caused By Hurricane Sandy

Of course everyone has heard about the destruction Hurricane Sandy caused to the east coast especially states like New York and New Jersey. To add to all of this madness, New Jersey was hit with a 2.0 magnitude earthquake at 1:19AM on Monday, November 5th. Hadn’t they had enough? With it being not so likely to get earthquakes or even hurricanes on the east coast, no one was as prepared as they could’ve been. Because of this, many people lost their homes, or their homes were severely damaged. Damages that cost a ton of money to do repairs. A civic duty I have noticed over the last couple of days is the effort of Penn State students to start fundraisers, and raise money to donate to the people affected by Hurricane sandy. I know many organizations have taken part of this but I recently heard from a sister in my sorority that we are now collecting for the victims as well. Many students here at Penn State are from New Jersey. They must be totally devastated from hearing all of the news from back home. I think it’s great to hear how many people are trying to do their part and help friends and families in need.

This entry was posted in RCL and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to RCL Post- Devastation Caused By Hurricane Sandy

1. Natalia Tyndall says:

As someone who has lived in New Jersey all of her life it’s really hard to see places that I’ve grown up around completely ripped to pieces. The shore is completely gone and all of the fond memories I have are too. My father just recently got power after trees fell and knocked out the power lines. It will definitely take a lot to restore all of the damage caused by this hurricane and not to mention the snowstorm that came after it. There are so many stories of communities coming together to help those in aid and I think that in times of crisis you can always count on good Samaritans to help their fellow neighbor.

2. Allan Lin says:

I think it’s terrific that people in college are so actively involved with sending money to charity and storm relief efforts. It’s something that’s pretty rare in places outside of college where just about everybody seems to be eager to help. It’s a difficult situation for the entire northeast coast because most of the time I don’t think we’ve had to deal with extreme hurricane weather. Even people living a decent distance from the coast had to deal with damages. Penn State is so great because along with THON, people are still contributing more to charities and they don’t think that just one cause is enough. I really liked how I saw booths in the HUB for not only THON, but also hurricane Sandy relief. It really shows that Penn State is a multi-faceted school.