OPA!

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has that country in Europe where they are dying to visit. For me, I would love to have the opportunity to go to Greece. Learning so much about Greek culture over the years in school has increased my passion to visit this beautiful country. It’s one of those countries that holds so much history that I’m sure you can’t do everything on one trip. This is kind of like my trip to Italy that I wrote about in a previous blog post. There is so much one could do but it would take a lifetime to get it all done. Okay, maybe not a lifetime but definitely a long time. Here are some cities and activities tourists could do on their visit to Greece:

Milos island - Kleftiko bayGreek Islands: Want to see clear, blue waters with white sand beaches? This is where to go. Not only could you do many different aquatic activities including scuba diving, water skiing, and sailing, but one could visit the many archeological sites these islands hold. In Prehistoric times as well as others, these islands contained many different civilizations. The islands are mostly located in the Aegean Sea but there is one that is found in the Ionian Sea. Each island is split up into different sections. To find out more about these divisions, this website will sum it up for you.

Athens_TS_tcm530-378194Athens: Being one of the world’s oldest cities and the capital of Greece, Athens is a big tourist trap. It is one of the most visited cities in Greece. This is because of all of the ruins it holds. Yes, one could do a ton of shopping and dine at nice restaurants here. It also has some of Greece’s most visited museums, has the old Royal Palace, and has Pireas which is the ancient port of Athens where one could travel to the Greek Islands by water.

city_hotel_thessaloniki_events_3Thessaloniki: Second largest city in Greece. Has ruins from the Greek, Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman eras. This city holds a lot of history so if your in the mood to see ruins and visit museums, this is the city to go to.

thessaloniki-museum2Museums: Greece holds more than 200 state museums and 107 private museums. They range from Archeological museums to Science and Technology museums. One could view a ton of art and artifacts that date back more than 6,000 years! It’s incredible how much history this one country holds.

This country has beautiful sites to see and a ton of history one could learn about. Have any of you been to Greece before? Being a fan of all of this and of course, the food (I’m sure the Gyros are even better there!), I really hope to one day get the opportunity to visit!

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to OPA!

1. Sarah Summers says:

As someone who studies the Ancient Greeks, I’ve always wanted to go there! I think it would be interesting to see all the ruins and the links to ancient rhetoric, philosophy, and democracy. Plus, I love gyros, so that part would great too!

Have you seen the movie “My Life in Ruins”? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0865559/) It has the woman from “My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding,” and she plays a tour guide in Greece. It’s kind of cheesy, but it also shows the sites and their history. Might be fun to watch if you’re interested in going there one day!