Home Sweet Home

I know I usually use this blog to share ideas and inspirations that can help any college freshman make their room feel like a home, yet today I am going to stray away from this format. Instead I would like to share an observation. This past weekend I went home for the first time since coming to college. Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed being back in my house and with my family. There is honestly nothing like not having to swipe your ID card to get into a building, or not having to wear flip-slops when taking a shower. Let’s face it, no matter how much fun one is having at college, there is no place like home. No matter how many personal touches one adds to a room, a dorm is never going to be one’s home. On Sunday afternoon, as I packed up my things and prepared to make the three hour car ride back to school, I’ll be honest, I got a little teary eyed. I was less than thrilled to be returning to school and my dorm. Spending the last hour at home with my parents, my dad brought something up that I took to heart.

As I sat on the couch, sad and glum, my dad reminded me that my home would always be waiting for me. No matter how old I am or how long I am away, my home is not going anywhere. I think that in the back of my mind I had this idea that things would not be the same after living at school for a few weeks. This ended up being true to a certain degree. Being at home was not the same without all of my friends being around and not having to go to high school on Monday morning. However, all of the things I love about being home were the same. I was still greeted in the morning by my golden retriever, wagging her tail and happy to see me. I still went to sleep in the same bed I have had since I was three years old. I still was expected to empty the dishwasher and help with the dishes. Looking back, I realize that no matter where I am in my life, my family and my home will always be there for me to come back to. My life, the people, places, and experiences in it, are multiplying. I am not giving anything up, merely adding to it. At some point during this freshman year, I believe everyone will experience a little homesickness at one point or another. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and I hope that when it does remembering that you can always go home makes you feel a little better. In the mean time, we should all try to make our dorms as cozy and reflective of our personality as we can! Next week I’ll be back with more tips to help you do so!

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Home Sweet Home

1. I have recently started a web site, the info you provide on this web site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. “The inner fire is the most important thing mankind possesses.” by Edith Sodergran.

2. Great – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, web site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task..

3. Maureen Gallagher says:

I think your dad gave you great advice. This might sound horrible, but I haven’t been homesick at all since getting to college. I miss my family every day, but when they came to visit me this past weekend, I realized I don’t miss my actual home as much as I thought I did. I was really just missing the people in it. I think this is because I know I can always go back home whenever I need to. Right now, I am still having fun exploring a new environment, but I know that the knowledge that my own bed is waiting for me at home is really contributing to my lack of homesickness. In fact, the only time I got even a little worried or upset was when my younger sister and former roommate joked that she had already taken apart my bed and moved it to the basement. Knowing that your family and familiar surroundings are there for you when you need them provides a lot of support. That being said, I can’t wait to follow your blog, because my dorm room is severely underdecorated. I think you have a great idea for a blog, and I’m interested to see what else you come up with!

4. Shelby Foster says:

Not gonna lie, I got a little emotional while reading this post because it reminded me so much of how I feel, too. I also went home last weekend and it seemed to go way too fast. I wasn’t ready to leave my family and my dogs. I was really anxious to get to college, make new friends, have new teachers, and just turn over a new leaf in most of the aspects of my life. I really never thought I would be as homesick as I am. Even though I’m homesick, I know that this is where I’m supposed to be at this time in my life. I often talk to my family on the phone and tell them how much I miss home when I’m here and they always tell me that nothing is different there and that I’m not missing anything. Then they ask me if I want to transfer to the Penn State branch campus that is five minutes away from my house and I immediately say “no!!!!”. It’s a big change for anyone and a lot to adapt to. I’ll have to follow your blog a little more to get some tips on how to make myself more at home here. 🙂

5. Sarah Jordan says:

Omg ! I felt the same why when I went home the first time since I have been here. It was lovely not thinking about our new common worries, Do I have my room key? Where did I put my ID? Did I forget my shampoo again ? It felt good just to relax for a second and be at HOME. But I admit it was weird not going home to same friends because half of them are away and going to high school but your right everything else was still the same, family will always be there. I really like your post Allison, I thought I was the only one that thought that when I went home 🙂
    How did your dog react when she saw you ?

6. Colleen Tygh says:

I understand exactly where you are coming from. During SHO Time, I was a mess. I missed home so much and it had only been about three days since I had moved into my dorm. I missed my friends from high school and had a hard time adjusting to the fact that they do not go to the same school as me anymore. Since I am an only child, my parents and I are very close; this made my homesickness grow even more rapidly.

I am so happy that you got to go home this past weekend! I cannot even explain how jealous I am! My birthday is next week, so I am going to go home next weekend to see my family. I think that not having to wear shoes in the shower is going to feel weird since it has become a habit now. I especially cannot wait to sleep in my own bed!