Epic Confusion… A Black Adam Review-Blog #6

I want to preface this review by saying that my experience with projects in the DC comics universe has been a mixed bag. In recent years, I have enjoyed Shazam!, fallen asleep halfway through Aquaman, dozed off during The Batman, disliked Wonder Woman 1984, and absolutely adored Peacemaker. So, coming into Black Adam I sort of just went in blind. It is difficult enough for me to understand the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so trying to understand the choppy connections of the DC films is just too much for me. As soon as the movie began, I felt an instant realization that I should have done some research beforehand to get me up to speed, because the audience is automatically thrown into a story with “pre-established” characters and little context. With that being said, there should be little spoilers but again I have a bad background with this comic universe, so I apologize in advance. Let’s get into it.

Black Adam (2022) - IMDb

Black Adam is led by Dwayne Johnson, with a supporting cast of Aldis Hodge, Pierce Brosnan, Noah Centineo, Sarah Shahi, Quintessa Swindell, and Bohdi Sabongui. The film is set in an other-world city known as Kahndaq in which numerous supporting characters accidentally let out a 5,000 year old god (Black Adam). Appearing to be a bad guy, Johnson’s character fights the supporting characters in an effort to keep his newly re-establish power. The audience watches as Adam goes through his family history backstory and other characters have flashbacks that all connect as well. As everything wraps up, Johnson makes the  audience question what “side” he is on, potentially leading to another story in the future. I apologize for not being more thorough, but again this film is choppy and hard to follow.

I have lightly been watching this film’s development process and am well aware of how much Johnson was involved along the entire way. If my memory serves correctly, I believe he was the one to pitch this movie to the executives at Warner Brothers. He basically set up himself being the star, and it is so abhorrently obvious. Much like Don’t Worry Darling, this film thinks it is smarter than it is.  It tasks the audience to grapple with the idea that not all those with superpowers have to be good or be on one side, they are complicated beings. This part of the concept is executed clearly I suppose, but with little substance. I honestly think this is because of The Rock. I generally find him to be a bad actor, but he is just so blank in this film. Obviously, Johnson is best known for his physicality and prior wrestling career, but he should not be starring in this movie just for his pretty face, money, and recognition–it greatly takes away from the story.

Box Office: 'Black Adam' Repeating at No. 1 - Variety

Hodge, Brosan, and Centineo’s characters specifically have obvious ties back to prior DC films, but I could not tell you what they are. This creates a barrier for those less-committed audience members because there is no context on their back story which leads to an even more confusing story. DC often just throws groups together, but this group of supporting characters seems even farther a stretch than usual.

The story and plot itself simply have issues in my eyes. It is hard to follow yet feels familiar, like something that someone has done before. Key plot points like saving the citizens of a certain place, hero revitalization, and family reconciliation in this film feel as though they came from a template. The writing is rough, generic, and lazy–likely due to the film’s process–which hurt my attention span while watching. I suppose the best way to describe it is that nothing is genuine, which isn’t a great feeling to have about a story.

I will say that the action in this film is heavy and I greatly enjoyed that aspect. Unlike some recent DC films, I didn’t get a quick nap in at any particular point which is a positive. The costumes look very cool and the CGI is not appalling, which many superhero movies can have issues with. This film also seemingly moves the overall storyline of many of the supporting characters in a subtle way, which I appreciate.  The non-leading actors actually throughly did their job to act, which is a plus. I would watch this movie again if I had to, which cannot be said about some of its predecessors.

Black Adam Box Office Day 2: Dwayne Johnson Starrer Stays Decent On Friday, It's The Top Performing Film Amidst Competition

Ultimately, Black Adam falls flat but no one should really be surprised by that. A movie self-promoted, heavily funded, and pitched by its own star can often lead with ego over quality. The supporting actors tried their best and I do still love The Rock, but I simply cannot recommend this movie. Stick with Marvel like the rest of us.

• https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6443346/
  • https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/black-adam-projected-second-weekend-prey-for-the-devil-1235417560/
  • https://www.koimoi.com/box-office/black-adam-box-office-day-2-dwayne-johnson-starrer-stays-decent-on-friday-its-the-top-performing-film-amidst-competition/

Corporate Synergy, a Conglomerate’s Dream-Blog #5

In recent years, I keep hearing the word “synergy” from companies in the Entertainment and Media Sector. Disney, Comcast (NBC-Universal), Paramount, and even Netflix have steadily been increasing their corporate synergy machines; mashing/mixing their different businesses in order to appear as one connected unit in the public eye.

The greatest example of this to me is The Walt Disney Company, as they have recently added 20th Century Fox, Hulu, and Searchlight Pictures along with Disney Plus to their mega business. Because of the acquisition, Disney finally had total hold of The Simpsons and last November (for Disney Plus’ second anniversary)  the series released a special named “The Simpsons in Plusaversary” on Disney Plus, which practically was a mix of all of the intellectual property on the streaming service shoved into a 30 minute Simpsons episode. It was funny I suppose, but also directly cited in the episode that its purpose was to better push corporate synergy. I find it funny that the writers and those in charge of this lower-level special were able to directly make fun of their corporate managers who are pushing for this kind of content.

The Simpsons In Plusaversary”: New Animated Short To Premiere On Disney+ Day – Deadline

This type of synergy goes way beyond media as well and into the various theme parks and cruise ships that Disney operates. Disney’s hit Frozen opened in theaters in late 2013 and less than 3 years later a ride based on the film opened at Disney’s EPCOT in Walt Disney World. Disney just premiered its newest film, Encanto, at the end of last year and there are already rumors of a new attraction based on the soon-to-be franchise in Disneyland Park. Disney Cruise Line unveiled their newest ship over this past summer that features a Marvel-themed restaurant with a film starring Ms. Marvel, a marvel character whose show premiered on Disney Plus literally less than a month before the new ship set sail. These connections, this “synergy” is happening more quickly to try to immerse guests in the stories they see on the screen. It is sort of crazy how much trust and finances go toward projects based on intellectual properties that have no true evidence of longevity.

Frozen Ever After Attraction Set to Open at Epcot in June | Disney Parks Blog

This type of corporate synergy is not exclusive to Disney though, with Comcast-owned NBC-Universal focusing more and more on synergy of their multiple brands. This past summer, Universal Pictures’ Minions: The Rise of Gru premiered as the first film in the infamous Despicable Me franchise in over 5 years. To celebrate and promote the film, NBC’s morning show, Today, showed drawings done by Universal artists of the anchors portrayed as minions. This helped advertise the film and connect the two brands that are not always seen as one.

See the TODAY anchors minionized!

Comcast is also pushing synergy in their Universal theme parks. NBC’s popular late night host Jimmy Fallon received his own ride in 2017 named “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon”. This attraction is screen based, riding along with Fallon as he goes through his show stage, Rockefeller plaza, the Statue of Liberty, and other NYC icons. They have done similar attractions with the recent revitalization of the Jurassic Park franchise and kid-favorite The Secret Life of Pets. Entertainment and Media companies are striving right now to push their products to as far means as possible, but this could actually end of hurting the consumer’s perception of the company.

Of course, this corporate synergy is nothing more than marketing in the name of the bottom line. But, when this marketing/advertisement for a certain product is encased within another, it puts a bad taste in the mouth of the consumer. When going to theme parks or watching media, there is an expectation, at least generally, to have new and original content that is more than just advertisement with little substance. While I do think that this gives these big conglomerates more money in the short term, there is a cap on how much the consumer will take. There can be too much of a “good thing” and in this case I think synergy has hit that mark.

• https://deadline.com/2021/11/the-simpsons-in-plusaversary-new-animated-short-to-premiere-on-disney-plus-day-1234866340/
  • https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/wish/
  • https://wdwnt.com/2022/06/entrance-tree-to-tarzans-treehouse-fully-removed-for-retheme-at-disneyland/
  • https://www.today.com/video/see-the-today-anchors-minionized-143160389514
  • https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/04/frozen-ever-after-attraction-set-to-open-at-epcot-in-june/

Abbott Elementary’s Shakeup to the Streaming Wars-Blog #4

Throughout the past few years, streaming services have been at war, trying to find a balance of value to the consumer and profits for the company. HBO Max, Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, Peacock, Paramount Plus, Showtime, and more had been so focused on subscriber growth. Many of these services are dependent on other aspects of their parent companies to keep them afloat because many streaming services are not breaking even, let alone making money. Recently, these streaming platforms have been shoving money at content based on reboots or sequels to originally cable-aired series/movies. For example, Hocus Pocus 2 just released on Disney Plus, Peacock recently announced a movie Sequel to their beloved Community series, a Frasier reboot is coming to Paramount Plus, and Fuller House recently ended its run on Netflix. While these streaming services also have a ton of original content themselves, there was not a ton of hit, original content on cable channels; that all changed last year with Abbott Elementary.

Abbott Elementary - ABC Series - Where To Watch

Written by and starring Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary focuses on the staff of a low-funded school in Philadelphia. Its mockumentary format is very similar to that of The Office and Parks and Recreation. In addition to Brunson, this series stars Sheryl Lee Ralph, Tyler James Williams, Janelle James, Lisa Ann Walter, Chris Perfetti, and William Stanford Davis as the staff of Abbott Elementary School. In my opinion, the writing is modern and genuinely funny, with a cast that showcases their skills in a brilliant and heart-felt way. Season 2 of the series started last month and while doing press with Variety, Quinta Brunson was asked why she wanted the show to be on cable. Her response struck me:

‘Abbott’ is interesting because of the audience it seems to bring back to network [TV], I can’t put my finger on it. Some people just say millennials, but it’s not. It’s a certain type of viewer that wasn’t watching network TV, and ‘Abbott’ has given them a show to watch.

Quinta Brunson: Why Abbott Elementary Wasn't Ready for Top Comedy Emmy - VarietyThere is just something unique, a certain spark perhaps abut this show that I feel has not been on network TV for over 5 years. Plus, ‘Abbott’ is finding its place in a more professional setting; getting 7 nominations and 3 wins at the 2022 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Casting, Writing for a Comedy Series (Brunson), and Best Support Actress in a Comedy Series (Ralph).

This series I find to be relatable to a wide audience as well as genuinely inclusive both in its cast and episode topics. In the first episode of Season 2, the teachers focus on finding solutions in their older school for students with disabilities. The ‘Abbott’ team also donates a majority of their marketing budget to help teachers get school supplies, which is so incredible. Quinta Brunson genuinely cares about these issues and you see that care in action on the screen, which I find so intriguing as an audience member.

While streaming services do have great, gritty content with high budgets and heavy work put in, cable is not going anywhere. The streaming service industry is arguably getting too saturated with its many options that can easily become overwhelming and unappealing.  Abbott Elementary is simply more accessible, making it easier to just watch and enjoy.

As many streaming services continue to struggle staying afloat, Abbott Elementary gives a new light to the glorious standard of network television. As media conglomerates continue to evaluate their products, I have a feeling that we will start to get more cable content thanks to Quinta Brunson’s Abbott Elementary. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/streaming-wars-not-what-you-think/

https://variety.com/2022/tv/features/quinta-brunson-abbott-elementary-network-tv-1235285395/

https://www.emmys.com/shows/abbott-elementary

https://www.tvinsider.com/show/abbott-elementary/

https://variety.com/2022/tv/features/quinta-brunson-abbott-elementary-emmys-season-2-1235372493/

MAYBE You Should Worry, Darling…A Don’t Worry Darling Review and Breakdown-Blog #3

Warning: This Review contains some Spoilers.

On October 1, 2022, friends and I finally saw the big, fall-buzz movie Don’t Worry Darling. This film is directed by Olivia Wilde and stars Florence Pugh, Harry Styles, Olivia Wilde, Nick Kroll, Chris Pine, Gemma Chan, and Kiki Layne. Produced by Warner Brothers, this film had quite a lot on the line for it due to the company’s merger with Discovery that landed its reputation in murky waters . Since this film is only one of two major theater-released blockbusters on the company’s slate this year, there were high expectations. To be honest, at least in my view when watching the trailer in the early summer, I was so intrigued and thought it could be a heavy Oscar contender. That was wishful thinking.

Don't Worry Darling - Movie Reviews

To understand this movie, you practically have to first understand the drama that surrounded it through the press and promotional stretch leading up to the release. This article goes much more in depth, but I will try my best to summarize. Shia LeBeouf was originally supposed to play the lead character Jack Chambers, but when the pandemic freed up Harry Styles’ schedule, Olivia Wilde threw Shia under the bus to give Harry the part. Wilde and Styles seemingly had a little fling, but many speculate that it was for attention. Olivia Wilde was then served divorce papers from her ex Jason Sudeikis while on a convention stage, which made matters worse. Suddenly, rumors sparked that there was a feud between lead Florence Pugh and Wilde fueled by a lack of a press push by Pugh. Concurrently, LeBeouf and Wilde were publicly feuding about why he was fired (I think it’s pretty obvious). There was also a text message leak between Pugh and LeBeouf which just added complexity. Then, once the press officially began, there was lots of tension at the film’s festival premiere in Venice. Another cast member was seated between each Wilde, Styles, and Pugh which all but confirmed the drama rumors. Also at this film premiere, Harry Styles allegedly spat on Chris Pine and made out with Nick Kroll. Pugh stayed out of much of the rest of the press for the film and then finally it was released. Met with mixed reviews, I am here to give you mine.

Don't Worry Darling' Gets 5-Minute Standing Ovation; Venice Film Fest – Deadline

The film immediately immerses the audience in a 1950s-esque, perfect suburb community with stereotypical family dynamics. Florence Pugh plays Alice, the stay-at-home wife of Jack Chambers (Harry Styles). You see her and the other wives live a groundhog-day lifestyle of cleaning, doing laundry, cooking dinner, then pleasuring their husbands when they get home. When at a community party held by the “leader” of the area, played by Chris Pine, goes awry by a woman (Kiki Layne) questioning why they are all in this simulation-like environment, Pugh’s character starts having diverging thoughts as well. This is what leads to the main, perhaps psychological story line that emerges as you follow Alice.

As the story went on, I immediately noticed motifs such as a red plane, Jack Chambers’ comments to Alice, Alice humming, every couple having a similar story, etc. which I suppose added some depth to the story.  But, I kept thinking to myself that this movie feels like it thinks it is smarter than it is. The 1950s simulation, perfect life theme has been done numerous times before including in WandaVision, The Truman Show, and Black Mirror. In the press, Olivia Wilde acted as though this was some ground-breaking, insightful film and honestly it felt more like a mashup of what has already been done around feminism, family dynamics, etc.

Don't Worry Darling' Review: Burning Down the Dollhouse - The New York Times

I will say that the movie did have many twists and turns that I did not expect, mainly in the way that Alice’s story line evolves. The audience learns of the unique situation/dynamic that Pugh and Styles’ characters are in. Pugh’s acting is genuinely fantastic as she learns more of the hellish-environment she is living in and why she is there. But, the same cannot be said about Styles, Wilde, and the other leads. I found a lot of the acting flat which made the actions more predictable and killed some of the depth of the story. I know Harry Styles is a pretty face, but in my opinion he was not the right fit for the big role he played. Also, (SPOILER) his transformation into a gamer, depressed, lonely man in the real world was so jarring, scary, and dare I say appalling. He just looked ROUGH and unrecognizable, which again could have been the point but I just did not like that dynamic of the story.

Not to mention, the press and Wilde in general glanced over the importance of Kiki Layne’s character in the film. The story line literally would not be there without her, she actually had great acting skills, and I don’t appreciate how she was basically forgotten about.

We talk 'Don't Worry Darling,' this time with spoilers : Pop Culture Happy Hour : NPR

When the film ended (SPOILER) with a simple deep breath noise from Pugh, I was simply not satisfied and kind of confused. There could have been so much more from this movie if it had a better, more encompassing ending. To be honest, I expected a lot more out of this film and while I was not unhappy with my choice to watch it, I was disappointed with the result. By all means though, I highly encourage everyone to go out and see this film just because of the drama and hype around it. There are many differing opinions on this one, so please go and see for yourself if you should worry.

https://nofilmschool.com/what-exactly-going-warner-bros-discovery

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/dont-worry-darling-drama-explained/florence-pugh-feud

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dont_worry_darling/reviews

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/23/1124694418/we-talk-dont-worry-darling-this-time-with-spoilers