Where Do We Go From Here?… A Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Review and Reflection-Blog #8

I have been anticipating Black Panther‘s sequel ever since it was announced in 2019. I loved the first film as it provided something totally new and different to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The titular star, Chadwick Boseman, unexpectedly passed away from colon cancer in 2020. Literal days before his passing, director Ryan Coogler finished the sequel’s script. Boseman’s gut-wrenching loss left the Marvel team asking “Where Do We Go From Here?” How do you honor a man so vital to a story while still respecting his role and moving the supporting characters forward? After months of script editing, covid delays, heavy filming, and reshoots, this long awaited sequel has been released.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) - IMDb

Walking into the College 9 movie theater, I could not help but emotionally prepare myself for what I was about take in. Led by Letitia Wright as Shuri, Angela Bassett as Queen Ramonda, Lupita Nyong’o as Nakia, Danai Gurira as Okoye, Winston Duke as M’Baku, and Tenovh Huerta as Namor, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever does not hold back. Right off the bat, this film does not shy away honoring its King, T’Challa. Thankfully never reincarnated digitally, Boseman’s movie funeral feels very much in reality. This opening motif of memorial scenes are played with such heart, particularly by Bassett. One particular rhetorical choice that I have held onto is Marvel’s logo sequence, which is silent with the only sound being the wind as the audience watches clips of Boseman make up the iconic lettering. This tribute and acknowledgment is so thoughtful and poignant, giving the characters strength to march on.

Jumping the timeline a whole year, it is obvious that the grieving process is still ongoing–as so many know. Faced with uncertainty, instability, and questioning, Queen Ramonda must take stance to defend her nation with only a daughter, no husband or son. Her nation’s “bread and butter”, vibranium, wants to be used by other nations. When the U.S. finds vibranium in the Atlantic Ocean, a new secret vibranium-owning nation comes into the story. From here, the supporting characters of Wakanda along with some new faces must come together to defend their nation.

Review: 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' Is Not Your Typical Marvel Movie | WIRED

The action sequences in this film are beautifully shot and I do really feel that the Black Panther sequel does do justice to its late lead character. But, there are definitely some questionable parts of this beautiful story. When Coogler and Marvel had to rework the entire story, I think ideas clashed a bit. The main mantra of the film, vengeance, comes through but in an artificial way. As this story works toward its end, it totally set up another possible film to come yet I don’t think this sector of Marvel necessarily needs one. Again, I think that Marvel is setting itself up for the question, “Where do we go from here?” Boseman’s role was crucial to the future of the MCU, and setting up a new leader of Wakanda greatly changes the dynamic of the film franchise’s future.

Who Is the New Black Panther in Wakanda Forever?

This is a problem, a question that I think the whole movie and entertainment industry is asking themselves. The 21st century has brought so much to theaters and has really revolutionized the film, entertainment, and media industry.

In my opinion, there has not been a totally new, revolutionary film series in quite a few years. A majority of things that are being put out are building upon past stories or reimagining them. So, when asking “where do we go from here?”, I think that the entertainment and media industry (and everything surrounding it) needs to focus on the audience and creativity. Diverse voices help with this of course, but resources and ample opportunities will as well. Technology is ever evolving in this industry, with concepts like virtual reality and CGI becoming more advanced. As the past 3 years have showed, this industry needs to be ready and adaptable to anything as whole stories may need to be reworked or pushed due to external circumstances.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is a great example of this: challenging to spark creativity and find a path through the darkness. Many other projects I have featured on this blog including Abbott Elementary, Weird, and Don’t Worry Darling have pushed the envelope, reshaping the media that audiences take in. But, as I mentioned in my Synergy blog, the entertainment and media companies backing these projects often look at profit over product. But, I think this thinking is on its way out.

On November 20, 2022, Disney announced that its money-focused CEO had been let go and the former CEO, Bob Iger, would be returning. One of Iger’s first moves back was to reorganize the whole company,  creating a “new structure that puts more decision-making back in the hands of our creative teams and rationalizes costs.” Success comes with pushing the boundaries, not restraining it with tight budgets and a bottom-line focus.

So, where we go from here is such a complex concept but there are definite ways to set up this industry for success. When quality and creativity are the focus, there is no limit as to where this industry may go and we as the consumers have the pleasure to take in the result.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/21/kareem-daniel-disney-head-of-media-and-chapeks-right-hand-is-out-following-igers-return.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9114286/

https://www.wired.com/story/black-panther-wakanda-forever-review/

https://www.cbr.com/wakanda-forever-next-black-panther-speculation-mcu/

Creatively Odd…A Weird: The Al Yankovic Story Review – Blog #7

Many months ago, it was revealed that Daniel Radcliffe would be portraying Weird Al Yankovic in a biopic to be presented on Roku. Listen, I am a fan of the Harry Potter films so of course I was interested in this film, but not for that obvious connection. I have watched other things that Radcliffe has been in after the Potter franchise and could NEVER disassociate him from Harry. When looking at Previews, I felt that Weird could actually be the thing to break that glass ceiling, and luckily I was right: that afro won.

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (2022) - IMDb

Radcliffe is supported by Rainn Wilson as Dr. Demento and Evan Rachel Wood as Madonna. This film also features many cameos such as Al Yankovich as Tony Scotti, Qunita Brunson as Oprah Winfrey, Conan O’Brien as Andy Warhol, Jack Black as Wolfman Jack, and Lin Manuel Miranda (jumpscare) as a doctor. Weird is very upfront as being mostly non-fictional with many story lines that simply go off the rails. Starting at Yankovic’s childhood, Weird showcases Weird Al’s odd and quick path to fame. Intertwined are dramatic improve-like scenes that add comedy and make sure you know that this is not a true depiction whatsoever. Yankovic was so deeply involved with the making of this film being its producer, so I know it has his blessing and I think I can give it mine.

I must say that I was intrigued to watch this film because 1. it was free (!)  and 2. its cast includes actors that I genuinely love like Radcliffe, Wilson, and Brunson. I honestly had never watched anything produced by Roku before this point and am greatly surprised by its creativity. Yes Weird Al was big at the time, but this is for sure a risky film for today’s audience. Its comedic, improvisational format I think greatly accompanies the subject as it really comes off as a film to enjoy not greatly analyze. Could it have been better quality? Of course, some of the sets are akin to a high school play. Would it have been better as a theatrical film with a bigger budget and more at stake? Maybe, but it is really hard to say. In my eyes Weird‘s back-end issues do not in anyway overshadow its content.

Weird Al' Movie: Yankovic and Daniel Radcliffe on the Parody Biopic – Rolling Stone

Starting with Radcliffe’s performance, I think the actor does a fantastic job personifying this iconic and niche culture icon. His voice is very similar (although does sound like Phineas from Phineas and Ferb) to Yankovic’s and his physicality matched perfectly (besides Radcliffe being a bit more fit). While he does not truly sing in the film, his energy and acting is spot on. Wilson’s portrayal of Dr. Demento is so well done and funny. The The Office star really gives it his all to add the necessary whimsical and cooky elements of the character. Wood plays a pretty solid Madonna, I love Brunson as Oprah, and oddly gave interest to O’Brien’s Warhol–it is just so oddly perfect.

The Real Story of How the Weird Al Movie Scored Fake Cameos | WIRED

Unlike other biopics like Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman, and JudyWeird: The Al Yankovic Story does not feel exploitive or off-putting. There is no speculation on certain events or rumors because it is intentionally non-accurate! In this version of Al’s story, the man literally goes from nothing to fame in one hour and then hooks up with Madonna within a week. Radcliffe’s Yankovic kills people, does some questionable things, and somehow dies in an unfortunate circumstance in 1985. The actual Yankovic is in the movie so obviously none of it is true but that is why it is funny. There is always a running joke for the last 2/3 of the film which keeps the audience engaged and intrigued.

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story does not take itself seriously in the best way, creating a new genre of biopic where not everything has to act as though it is accurate. Its mindless and creative energy is a nice outlier in today’s movie scope. If you find yourself bored literally just type the word Roku into Google and you will be watching the film within two clicks. It is time to get out of reality and into parody!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17076046/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

https://www.wired.com/story/weird-al-yankovic-movie-cameos/