My Top 10 Films-Spring Blog #7

Here  we are, the final passion blog. I started this blog in August in my past RCL class, and really feel that I have grown with each one. In many ways, it is a reflection of my freshman film life, which is really cool. For my final passion blog, I have decided to finally give my top ten movies. This list is not necessarily best cinematically or simply nostalgia; it is more a combination of both. Before I go down the list, here are some honorable mentions:

Spiderman: No Way Home, Lady Bird, Jo Jo Rabbit, and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Now, for my top ten.

10. Elf

I don’t necessarily know when I first watched this holiday classic, but I have watched it consistently for years, usually on Christmas Eve with my family. Will Ferrell is simply iconic in this movie and gives a great performance along with the rest of the cast. It gives a contemporary spin on the classic holiday tales and lore, which I appreciate. If I had to pick one holiday film, this is it.

9. The Banshees of Inisherin

This film is currently on HBO Max and one that I have mentioned before. Recently in award contention, Banshees tells a simple story with a heartfelt message. Irish people are fun to listen to and they have good stories, that’s about all I need to say.

8. The Help

I watched The Help for the first time a few years ago, and I was simply blown away. The racial undertones are so beautifully highlighted to drive the story. Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Octavia Spencer especially have phenomenal performances in this film, even winning Spencer an Oscar. Plus, the late comedian Leslie Jordan adds to the complexity of the plot. It is a fantastic watch.

7. Chef

I love Chef, it is wonderful. Starring John Favreau, Sofia Vergara, and John Leguizamo, Chef tells a heartwarming story of a dad and son who leave everything to open a food truck together. It highlights the importance of family and the wonderfulness of doing things in the spur of the moment. I remember shedding a few tears after this one!

6. Lilo and Stitch

I had to include an animated film on this list, especially after the last vlog, so I chose my favorite, Lilo and Stitch. Stitch has always been my favorite cartoon character, and this film has so much heart in it. Plus, the theme, “Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride,” is so catchy and fun. It is a nostalgic, classic, animated film that needs more attention.

5.  Knives Out

I have always been attracted to murder mysteries and I think this modern film does the genre perfectly. Its great cast of Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, and many more add to the tension of the film. It is smart, witty, and insightful, which I greatly enjoy. Plus, its sequel, Glass Onion, is also great, but not as iconic as the original.

4. Avengers: Endgame

I had to include this one. In the top 3 highest grossest films of all time, the final Avengers film is just simply epic. I saw this film initially on its opening night back in April of 2019, and perhaps I was consumed by the hype, but I have always thought highly of this film. My brother and I were sort of obsessed with Marvel, and this final-chapter masterpiece came along  which we just could not stop talking about. Yes, it may be odd to be this high, but I just really like the movie.

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I am including both part 1 and 2 in this which may be cheating, but I almost always watch them together. The final installment(s) of the Harry Potter franchise is a cinematic feat that I would love to see for the first time again. I watched them so much as a kid, and now will watch them every once in a while as a comfort movie(s). The buildup, pace, and storyline are simply fantastic, with great acting all around. While it is not on everyones’ list, it had to place at least top 3 on mine.

2. Everything Everywhere All at Once

Readers (the like 4 of you) have known how much I love this movie. I predicted its sweep at the Oscars which eventually it fulfilled because it is a revolutionary film. EEAAO is a masterpiece, with so many intertwined themes and insightful notes which come together in a way that has potentially changed the landscape of cinema. I am sure you have heard enough about the good of this film, so I’ll stop here.

1. Parasite

My number one is also a film that saw some praise, winning best picture and many more Oscars in 2020. I was working at the College 9 when this film came out in wide release, and I simply fell in love. This Korean film is the first international film to ever win best picture and it deserves every single vote. Parasite tells the story of a servant family taking over their rich patrons’ house, emphasizing greed and class discrimination. Even watching this film in Korean with English subtitles, I was enthralled in the acting, pacing, and cinematography. It is currently streaming on Hulu, so please watch this one-it is the best film, in my opinion.

Well, that’s it. This has been such a fun experience writing about the Entertainment Industry. Thanks for following along!

https://www.imdb.com/

Read 3 comments

1. Gabe, I have really enjoyed reading your blog this semester. I can tell you are really passionate about film. I agree that Parasite is a very good film. I was initially reluctant to watch it because it is in a different language, but I ultimately ended up watching it, a decision I definitely don’t regret.

2. Hey Gabe, great blog post! I loved the variety that your top ten list of movies had. I’ve seen most of the movies you listed, but I haven’t watched Avengers: Endgame. I feel like most people would consider that a crime, so maybe that’s something I’ll watch over the summer.

3. Hi Gabe! Great blog post once again. I really like the way you set up this blog post, showing which movies you enjoyed the most. It gave me an idea of what I might want to prioritize watching as well. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is definitely one of my favorites!