The History of a Public Controversy

We have made some slight deviations with our public controversy project. Instead of focusing on the whole KONY 2012 campaign alone, we decided to focus on the more broad topic of child soldiers in Africa. We are still working out the kinks, but we decided that because we have such a powerful and serious topic, we want to bring in the audience and give them the opportunity to truly be a part of the project. For the first scene, we want to start off with the sound of fists pounding on the door and a statistic running across the screen about children soldiers. We then want to use pictures as a background to our narration of the history and background of child soldiers. During this part of the presentation, we will also be incorporating interviews that we will conduct with various students on campus to get their feedback on how well they are informed about child soldiers and the KONY 2012 will also be incorporated into the project, rather than being the sole focus of the project. Our main goals are to not only inform the public about child soldiers and the efforts that are going towards this cause to help alleviate the pain which it causes, but to truly move the audience.

2 thoughts on “The History of a Public Controversy

1. You seem to have a good idea at how you want to present this topic. I think the idea to change your topic to child soldiers as opposed to just KONY is a good choice since it will give you more to work with, but you can still use KONY as a prime example. I really like the idea that you have for the beginning of your project; the statistics and pictures will draw the audience right away and also present a little bit of a shock factor when people realize just how big of a problem this is.

2. I remember when the Kony 2012 campaign was all the rage. I like your topic of child soldiers because though our international contributions and conversations about the topic have died, the problem of child soldiers still exists. I am sure you will turn this subject into a well thought out and seamless movie.