Beatles – Let it Be x Passion Post #3

Today, I will switch from my original hip hop songs  to another form of alternative rock. With this move, I am trying to promote the diversity of my blog.

The band that I will analyze today is a band that does not need a formal introduction due to the recognition that they have throughout the world, making them a significant household name.

One day I was shuffling through random songs on Pandora and happened to meet this song. Not knowing it was the Beatles, I listened because of the inviting melody with the vocals that accompanied the piano notes.  Because of this  impromptu encounter, I have been an avid Beatles fan and constantly play “Let it Be” repeatedly.

Background Information on the track:

This song was on and the title of the 12th and final album that the Beatles released.  Prior to the album, Paul felt insecure and isolated from the group entirely. One night when he was down in the dumps, he claimed his mother came to him in a dream. He explained how she gave him advice and it gave him the motivation to write this song.  He credited this song all due to his late mother and what she told him that night.

Lyrics:

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

And when the broken-hearted people
Living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be
For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see
There will be an answer, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Yeah, there will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

Analysis of Song:

The song is was written by Paul McCartney on a very personal account. In the first stanza when he says, “When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me..” he is referencing his mother who died in  1956 when Paul was only 14. The song’s lyrics are repetitive due to the significance of the meaning  and the impact that it had on Paul and his band members.

In the hook when it states, “Let it Be” he is also referencing his mother. A direct quote from McCartney states, “I’m not sure if she used the words ‘Let it be,’ but that was the gist of her advice.” 

Personal Review:

This song that was made as a tribute to Paul’s mother, as it served its purpose to the fullest. My favorite part of the song was the interlude filled with the melodies of the keyboard and accompanied guitars. They instantaneously filled the blank verse and  turned the song into a class A jam session.

Let it Be” is not only a meaningful song to Paul, but it is a meaningful song to myself. While I did my research and analysis of the song, I instantaneously felt the Pathos of the song  making me feel as if Mother Mary was actually speaking to me as well. As I encounter this summer bridge or continue to face hardships throughout my collegiate career and beyond, the only thing that I can continue to do is “Let it Be.”

The final thing that I have to say to my audience is.. will you be like Paul’s mother and “Let it Be?”