1. Ball drop (1st attempt)

When faced with a new program, I tend to take some time learning about the new software, its interface – not unlike anyone else learning something for the first time. I, being a go with the flow type of person, like to take my time. I also tend to repeat things like rewatch tutorials and reread how-to articles until the skill becomes second nature.

I think this course, the Art 314 will definitely change that.

That is, I am going to have to find and manage my pace and work flow when working with Maya.

It is daunting for sure, but doable. Like this first attempt at animating a ball drop in Maya for the first time. I tried capturing two things I plan to work on throughout the semester: roundness and exaggeration. I really like animation that exaggerates movements like in old cartoons like Tom and Jerry and Ren & Stimpy. And by roundness, I mean the world is round. Sometimes, as a primarily 2d creator, it’s hard to capture that. It’s easy to keep things flat on paper.

But as I said before, 314 will definitely change that.

I know I will revisit this exercise again, later in the semester. By then, I will be able to execute my ideas better. For now, I am satisfied that I was able to get this far at all.