Maria Torre- Global Alumni Spotlight

We love to learn from our alumni and this Global Alumni Engagement blog features Penn State’s remarkable global alumni on a weekly basis. This week we interview Maria Jose Torre ’19 for our weekly Global Alumni Spotlight column.

Maria Jose Torre is from Guayaquil, Ecuador. She graduated from the Penn State Class of 2019 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Currently she works as a Fire Protection and Plumbing Design Engineer at BSEG, an engineering firm based in Allentown, Pa. During her time at Penn State Harrisburg Maria was part of the tennis team, photography club and Global Ambassadors Program. Maria strives to work alongside international students to create a smoother transition from university to the workplace. Coming from a family of mostly engineers and architects, Maria always had a big interest in design. She is very passionate about art and photography and is always looking for a good book recommendation.

What made Penn State stand out as the place you wanted to pursue your degree?

I knew that I wanted to study Mechanical Engineering before I even got accepted to any colleges. Penn State’s great engineering program and great faculty, also Penn State’s well known school spirit and sense of community is what made me want to pursue my degree here.

Tell us about a couple of Penn State moments that carry with you now.

Here are some of the memorable moments I had during my time at Penn State.:

Playing Tennis for Penn State Harrisburg team is one of my favorites.  I am a big tennis fan, so I was thrilled when I found out I could play some tennis, and even more so when I got to see my teammates play their matches. Tennis gave me the space I needed to focus on my mental health and also nurture some great friendships.

Being a Global Ambassador gave me a space to feel understood. I got to meet many people from different countries and hear their stories and it taught me that we are all more similar than we are different.

I have to say what I remember most fondly about my time in college is the time I spent with my friends everyday. Going to class together, study sessions in the library, dinner parties, all-nighters, coffee dates, etc. I do think one of the greatest joys of being in college is that you have your friends so close every day. Being an international student the friends you make in college become your family away from home.

How do you stay connected with our alumni after graduation?Penn State has great resources to connect with their alumni. The Penn State Alumni Association is a good place to connect with fellow Penn Staters. I have found since I graduated that in a lot of cities there are also facebook groups for Penn Staters in the zone, they usually gather whenever Penn State football plays. Linkedin is a great way to connect with faculty members as well as professionals that attended Penn State, and they are always happy to hear from a Nittany Lion.

What’s one thing that Penn State alumni can do to support today’s students?

I think doing things like connecting through Linkedin and just being open to have conversations with current students goes a long way. Sharing your experiences can help guide the students that come after you. Also financial help is always welcome, we know that how costly going to college can be, donating or contributing to scholarships offered by Penn State is a good way to help students that need the support.

Tell us a bit of your current life, such as your family, hobbies and/or community engagement?

Currently I work as a Plumbing and Fire Protection Engineer for BSEG, an engineering firm located in the Allentown area. In my free time I enjoy drawing, traveling and reading. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful family in Ecuador, in fact I am currently writing this from my childhood home. I am also very passionate about mental health and think it is the key to truly make the most of all the great opportunities that we are provided with.

What skills or traits should our students develop to help them succeed in your line of business?

Mechanical Engineering is such a broad field, and for this reason I think that the best quality that any engineer can have is to be open to learning. When you get an engineering job after college the first couple of months are most probably training, the ability you have to adapt and learn the ways of the company is what will help you further innovate and push your career as an engineer forward.

What was last time when you visited Penn State? How was your experience?

Last time I was at Penn State I got to talk to some awesome international students at the first International Alumni Workshop. We got to share with them some helpful information and tips to be best prepared for their transition from college to the workforce. I also made time to get some mint chip ice cream from the creamery and take a walk around Old Main.

2022 is approaching, what are your advises to our international students at Penn State?

My best advice for any international student is to check on yourself. Make sure you are liking what you’re doing, that you are feeling good physically and mentally and you are following goals that make you excited for your future.