Glossophobia: The Fear of Public Speaking

Whether we like to or not, public speaking and presentation giving is a large part of most academic experiences as well as job duties after graduation. Even in this class, we have had the opportunity to hone some of our public speaking skills through a variety of assignments and prepare for instances in our lives when speech giving is essential. However, public speaking is not exciting and thrilling for everyone. Glossophobia, more commonly referred to as the fear of public speaking, is one of, if not THE most common phobias that affect people. In fact, it is estimated that about 75% of the population struggles in some fashion when it comes to talking in front of others.  For most people who suffer from the phobia, it truly does not matter how large the crowd is. Just like other social phobias, the number of people around you is negligible, and the fear stems from how those people or that group of others may perceive you and your actions. 

When faced with a public speaking task, people who suffer from glossophobia often go into a bit of a fight or flight response. Glossophobia carries a variety of symptoms that are common to many phobias, including high blood pressure, sweating, muscle stiffening, nausea, and feelings of panic. Those who face it feel a strong urge to get away from public speaking situations and refuse to present in front of others if possible. In the worst cases, it can be very debilitating towards one’s career. Most people can push past it with adrenaline and focus, but in some cases where the phobia is too intense, there is nothing the person can do to push past it, and it may require interventions such as psychotherapy and medication

Many psychologists believe that glossophobia may stem from a previous negative experience with public speaking (perhaps forgetting one’s lines, having someone laugh at them, etc.). However, others think there is something deeper rooted that correlates with the phobia. According to a study from The National Institute of Mental Health, testing has found that people who suffer from the phobia have an increased response when negative comments are read to them. Therefore, there is some correlation between lower self-esteem and the presence of the phobia. However, others believe that glossophobia has a strong tie to genetics and can be passed on by your parents. No sole cause has been identified, and a wide variety of people suffer from the phobia (making it very, very common!).

One interesting relationship exists between education and the presence of glossophobia. According to a poll, 24% of college graduates expressed a fear of public speaking, while 52% of people who graduated with just a high school diploma expressed the fear. This could be related to the inevitable number of instances that come with a college education where public speaking is required. Also, there is something to be said about having a more educated and knowledgeable background when it comes to speaking in front of others. Perhaps the added confidence of a college degree assuages some of the anxiety that comes with sharing information with others when you are more confident in what you are speaking about. 

Ultimately, becoming more comfortable with public speaking takes practice and experience. Though it never quite goes away for many, there are techniques to help you through the process and not allow it to hinder your abilities in the classroom or the workplace. And when you do it well, you’ll be that much more proud of yourself for getting through it!

5 thoughts on “Glossophobia: The Fear of Public Speaking

1. It’s interesting that the fear could stem from a low self-esteem or a negative past experience but 75% of people have it. Maybe that says something about the society we live in. It’s also interesting that only 24% of college graduates have it. I guess the education we pay for really is useful.

2. I agree when you mentioned that this could possibly causes issues within people’s careers. Although I would have hoped that the people with this fear know best to pick a job options that doesn’t have too much public speaking. I do believe that this a common problem among lots of people, I know that I experience stress when speaking in front of other people although it doesn’t stay for long.

3. It really stinks how inevitable having to face this fear is, and how you can really only deal with it with practice. I think it’s really interesting how the education level can have that much of an impact on the percentage of people with the fear. I wonder how much of a difference has been made in that statistic since colleges have implemented more targeted public speaking classes to build this skill and cope with this fear.

4. Public speaking was (and still kinda is) one of my worst nightmares. Public Speaking and performing go hand in hand and I have to say, I’m just as terrified of it now as I was when I first started speaking and performing. The goal is to learn to use that anxiety as a strength. I know now that if I don’t feel some form of anxiety about a performance, it means I don’t care about it, which is not a good thing (I have rarely felt that though). Great Post!

5. I can definitely relate to this fear. I actually get more nervous when the crowd is smaller. In a smaller crowd, I can see everyone I am talking or singing to, and I am scared of judgement. For me, context matters, too. I can sing or talk in some places without a problem, while others cause me to fear. I agree with Isaac, however, that some fear is good. Especially in situations that require focus, some fear can keep your energy up enough to get through. It is so interesting that a college education tends to decrease this fear. That gives me hope!