Jae Crowder to the Wizards?

Back on September 25th, Shams reported that the Suns would hold forward Jae Crowder out of training camp while the two sides found a trade partner. I’m not sure whether this stemmed from a failing relationship between Crowder and the players/coaches, or if they just felt like Cam Johnson was the better option. Either way, Crowder will wear a different jersey this season. 

As for potential trading partners, Phoenix has engaged in talks with many Eastern conference teams, including the Hawks and Wizards. Atlanta appears to be the current frontrunner to land Crowder, but talks have seemingly stalled since Shams first reported the news back in early October. I expect talks will intensify as we near the February trade deadline. 

As for Washington, the question remains: Why trade for Crowder when you already have an inflated front court? You already have Deni, Corey, Kuz, Rui, and Barton competing for those minutes, so why add another forward into the fold? Well, one must give in order to receive, and in this case, Washington may have to part with two forwards to get one.  

The Suns need a power forward. That is quite apparent. What’s unclear is if Phoenix wants to lead towards the future as they did with Johnson and acquire young talent, or if they simply want the best player available. My solution: give them both. Think about it. The Wizards have a 24-year-old power forward. He’s a top ten bench scorer and ranks among the best in double-digit scoring games off the bench. That player: Rui Hachimura. 

Rui is everything that the Suns want. He’s versatile, can hit the three at an efficient clip, and adds size to a team that likes to play big. Washington knows it can’t extend both Rui and Kuzma, and with the way Kuz has been playing, I’m not sure they can let him walk. This “Big 3” of Kuzma, KP, and Beal has been hyped up way too much for Tommy, or Ted for that matter, to let go. If Ted was good with giving Otto Poter Jr. $100 million, then he’s GOT to be ok with giving Kyle the bag.  

The trade: 

What’s in it for Phoenix? 

The suns are able to unload to expiring contracts and take in two more. This helps their cap situation with a Cameron Johnson extension looming this offseason. Furthermore, the two players shipped out, Crowder and Sarić, aren’t a part of their current rotation. It will be as if they’re bringing in two players and losing none.

Although Phoenix receives two players, Hachimura is what makes this deal work. His 6’8 frame parallels Cam Johnson’s, who will be lost for most of the season with a meniscus injury. Rui fills that void with his outside shooting. He’ll space the floor and make defenders pay for helping off him to cover Booker/CP3.

Why would Washington make this trade? 

For starters, they know they have to make a tough decision: Rui or Kuzma. Retaining both is nearly impossible, so getting something for Rui while you can is a plus. Although it doesn’t help their future, an experienced player like Crowder can change this team’s identity. In my opinion, we’re a bit soft. We lack that enforcer that gets in the opponents face and doesn’t take anyone’s shit. That was Trez last year, and until he lost the locker room, it had this team playing with a toughness I hadn’t seen in years. He’s a 3 & D player (a TRUE 3 & D) that spaces the floor and makes defenses pay for overhelping. Not only will you have Deni to guard the best player, but now Crowder who can do the same thing, and inevitably assumes Deni’s role when he gets into foul trouble.

As for Sarić, he’s a little over a year removed from an ACL injury that cost him the entire 2021-22 season. He’ll be fresh with all the DNP’s he’s been getting and is an upgrade from Gill. Not saying he’ll get huge minutes, but he can rebound, finish strong, and do all the dirty work that most run from.

That’s the deal I would make for Crowder. We not only get the defensive wing we need but upgrade our bench depth as well. Barton’s iso scoring and turnovers will be a thing of the past. Although it would suck to see Rui go, he’s a depreciating asset if you’re not going to extend him.

Let me know what you think! If you disagree or have a counteroffer, please let me know either in the comments or on Twitter @GregFinberg!

All stats, info, and other sites listed here:

https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/player/jae-crowder-767

Twitter.com/ShamsCharania

A Week in Review: Washington Shakes off OKC Loss to Take Final Two at Home 

Breaking down a 2-1 week in D.C.

Two weeks ago, Washington began a six-game homestand with wins against Dallas, Utah, and Memphis. The ball was moving, the defense tightened up, and the deep ball fell at a staggering 44% clip. With Beal out, point-Kuz took precedent. “I’ve been telling the coaches to run the offense through me,” he said following a 36-point performance. It’s hard to argue with Kuz here. With him at the helm, guys like Deni and Corey stepped up and knocked down shots they’d been struggling to hit. 

The next three games came against Oklahoma City, Miami, and Charlotte. All winnable games in my book, especially since these teams were without notable players. You could even argue that Washington should’ve won all three games. So, why did they only go 2-1? For starters, coaching. In the words below, I unpack the previous three games and outline some highs and lows of each. 

Oklahoma City Thunder 

Following a five-game stretch in which the Wizards went 4-1 without Bradley Beal, this team was feeling good. Jordan Goodwin had emerged, KP couldn’t miss from three, and the guys were playing as a cohesive unit.  

The game began with an offensive explosion as Washington opened a seventeen-point lead. Brad and Deni were finally hitting the deep ball, KP was rim-protecting, and Kuz continued to run the offense effectively. Everything was looking up. Then, to close the first quarter and open the second, coach Unseld deployed an all-bench lineup. The Thunder proceeded to go on a 13-0 run that saw them cut the lead to one. Gafford got outworked. Barton turned the ball over because he was asked to do too much. Kispert wasn’t getting clean looks. It was a disaster. 

This experiment failed, so Wes put the starters back in. Beal and KP grew the lead back up to seventeen and exited the half up 13. Out of halftime, Thunder coach Mike Daignault sat two of his starters, Giddey and Pokusevski. It turned out to be an effective adjustment because his squad tied the game halfway through the quarter. Yet again, Unseld allowed a double-digit lead to slip away due to poor rotations. 

The fourth was close with plenty of lead changes. Brad scored fifteen of his twenty-five points, including a go-ahead jumper with six seconds remaining. SGA had thirty-nine on the night, so everyone in Capital One Arena knew where the ball was going. Wes Unseld Jr knew it too, and still decided to put his 6’2 PG on their 6’6 PG. The Thunder easily inbounded the ball, cleared out, and allowed Shai to step-back and hit the game-winning three over Morris as if he wasn’t even there. Just coaching malpractice if you ask me.  

He could’ve played anyone. Literally anyone else. I guarantee if you put Anthony Gill in over Morris and allow Kuz’s length to affect that shot, the result is different, and you go 6-0 on this homestand. Now, Washington did squander away multiple seventeen-point leads which is unacceptable. But it still doesn’t excuse this lackluster coaching decision. Wes is allowed a few blunders here and there, but if his mistakes continue to cost us games, we may have to entertain some discussions we don’t want to.  

Miami Heat 

Stressful. That’s all I’ll say to encapsulate how this game made me feel (and I’m sure how it made all you guys feel too). The Heat were without Butler, Adebayo, Herro, Robinson, and Oladipo. Yet, as a lifelong Wizards fan, I just knew it was a let-down spot. Man was I right. Miami began the game hungrier and opened a double-digit lead that grew to as much as fifteen at halftime. We had taken them lightly and paid the price. Things got so low that undrafted free agent Orlando Robinson was winning his minutes against KP. Just unacceptable. 

Credit to the Heat and coach Spoelstra for that zone they played. Even with four quarters to adjust, Wes still couldn’t figure it out. They simply left the middle open to collapse on drives and forced a bad three-point team to launch threes. Pretty solid game plan. I kept screaming at the TV to put Rui in. He’s cash from mid-range and would easily crack the zone. Unseld waited a bit long for my liking, but eventually gave him the green light. He knocked a few down, causing the defense to collapse. This opened shots for Kispert and Beal, who made Miami pay from deep.  

With the lead lingering around eleven for most of the third quarter, coach Unseld turned to his veteran. Taj Gibson entered at the 3:26 mark with Washington trailing by ten. He rebounded, screened, and defended hard. His energy sparked a much needed 15-3 run, putting the Wizards right back in the game. Finally, Coach Unseld was proactive and made a necessary switch. His usual backup center wasn’t getting it done, so he used his depth and good things happened.  

Lowry hit an absurd baseline jumper over KP to grow the lead to five, and I was ready to send out a depressing tweet ranting about the same shit all over again. Bradley Beal made me eat my words, literally. A clutch layup and defensive stop lead to him throwing one of the most beautiful cross-court passes I’ve ever seen. Clutch Kuz stepped up once again, and the Wizards somehow forced OT. I’m not going to even discuss OT because I don’t think anyone wants to revisit that shitshow. Our offense was atrocious. But the defense anchored down when needed and we narrowly escaped with a win.  

A win is always a win, but that one felt empty. With two games in Miami this week against a revamped Heat lineup, we may be in for a rude awakening. 

Charlotte Hornets

There’s not as much to say about this one compared to the other two. We came out strong, leading by four at half. Deni was finishing at the rim and Brad’s defense looked much improved. 2017 catch & shoot Brad even made an appearance, knocking down three 3’s. 

A couple points of discussion from this game: 

• Johnny Davis got some minutes – passed up an open three and missed an open mid-range jumper. Not the best but could’ve been worse 
  • Once again, Gafford got outplayed by Nick Richards and was benched for Gibson. Taj wasn’t any better, but Gaff’s play continues to regress 
  • Goodwin is the best on-ball defender on this team. His quick hands allow him to strip the ball from drivers and rack up steals. He’s always in position to make a play and even blocked a few shots. Just such a needed spark with so many injuries 
  • Rui and Monte missed the game with right ankle sprains. Something to monitor, but doesn’t seem major 

With two games in Miami this week followed by one in Boston, Washington would be lucky to go 1-2. Anything else would be a huge bonus.

The Wizards are on a Four-Game Winning Streak: How One Player has Changed Everything 

Following a 3-1 start, Washington lost five of its next six games. The perimeter defense became nonexistent, rotations were out of sorts, and fans were calling for the coach’s head. To make matters worse, our franchise player went out with an illness. Things were looking bleak.  

Then, in Memphis, some change arose. Wes dug deep into his bench and played 24-year-old Jordan Goodwin. A 19-0 Wizards run ensued, resulting in a much closer finish. Although they lost, Washington found a spark that would help them through their next few games. 

At 8-6, they sit in fifth place in the East, just a game back of the top 3. So, after a shaky six-game stretch, how have they turned things around?  

Jordan Goodwin 

After a year-long spell with the Wizards G-league affiliate, Capital City GoGo, Goodwin was poised to earn a two-way contract. To no surprise, he impressed in training camp, receiving a spot on the Wizards 2022 roster. Only four games in, I’m ready to remove the “Two-way” from his contract. This man is a true NBA player that provides what we’ve lacked since Delon got hurt: defense, passing, and pace. Oh, and he’s a plus three-point shooter at 61.5% over his last five games (Statmuse). 

He’s doing all the things that Monte can’t. At 6’3 and 200lbs, he rebounds well. Opposing guards can’t bully him in pick & roll’s. The cross-court pass to the open shooter is finally being capitalized on. It’s just a totally different look when he’s in versus when he’s not. Additionally, he’s seemed to have unlocked Rui. With Goodwin on the court, Rui is a +26 net. With Goodwin off, he is a –69 (S/O @Domo8186 on Twitter for pointing this out). Again, it’s night and day. If your PG is elevating the play of everyone around him, he’s doing his job exceptionally well.  

Pace. It’s a key to success in the modern NBA and is something the Wizards ranked in the bottom five of just a week ago. I guess WUJ’s philosophy was to slow it down and make teams play at our pace. Makes sense to a certain degree if you’re trying to emulate the 2000s Spurs, but we don’t have Duncan. Ginobili and Parker. No matter how stagnant our offense got, Wes wouldn’t divert from his ways. Once Goodwin entered the equation, that all changed. He began to get out and run much more, and as a result, we narrowed the deficit in Memphis. This carried over to Charlotte, where we dominated in fast-break points. His ability to rebound as a guard is so beneficial in the sense that it starts the break quicker. Off the rebound, he can outlet it to a guy like Kuz, or he can decide to push up himself in hopes of finding an open shooter. Truly game-changing for this team. 

Through his first five games of getting meaningful playing time (24 mins/game), Goodwin is averaging: 

9.4 PPG 

5.8 RPG 

4.4 APG 

1 steal 

1.2 blocks 

Less than a turnover per game 

54% from the field 

61.5% from 3 

Just crazy numbers from a guy who many considered a G-leaguer just a week ago. He’s a much-needed revelation in a season where injuries to guards have plagued Washington thus far. I’m not sure what his role will be once Brad and Delon come back, but I sure as hell know he’s deserved at least a role of some sorts. Doesn’t mean he has to start or even play the 24 minutes he’s at right now, but his play has exceeded his previous bench role. Hopefully he keeps his hot streak alive through this homestand. If he can hold down the fort until Wright returns, this season is looking up.  

Hope you enjoyed the blog! As always, feel free to leave a comment or send me a DM on Twitter with any questions or if you want to just talk Wizards basketball. Go Wiz! 

All stats and info found on these sites:

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/player/jordan-goodwin-10365

What I Like and Dislike 11 Games into the Season

The pros and cons to Washington’s 5-6 start

The start to the 2022-23 season for the Wizards has gone as expected. A hot start, followed by a steep fall off, then a slight rise back to mediocrity. At 5-6, Washington sits in a decent spot. With their next six games at Capitol One Arena, the Wizards season could look much different in a week or so. That all depends on whether head coach Wes Unseld Jr. corrects some of the mistakes that have haunted his squad. Mainly: turnovers, lack of perimeter defense, and questionable rotations. 

In the words to come I will discuss some players that have impressed me thus far, as well as areas that need immediate improvement. 

Like: Brad’s efficiency 

So far, Beal is shooting a career-high 52.1% from the field (Statmuse). He’s getting in the paint with ease. It opens up his pull-up jumper and keeps defenders honest. When your best scorer is making more than half of his shots, it’s generally a great sign. The three-point shot is the one caveat to his hot start, but it’s improved in recent games. He went 3/8 in two games against Philly and knocked down two more against Brooklyn. Hopefully, he continues his efficient scoring upon his return. 

Dislike: WUJ’s rotations 

Consistency is key in this league, and the Wizards rotation has none of it. They’re already on their third starting lineup, with minutes fluctuating each game. Perhaps the most confusing part of this is the role of Anthony Gill. Gill is a glue guy who dives on the floor, exudes maximum effort, and rebounds well for his position. These are all qualities that bench players or 12th – 15th men have. Not starters. Teams like the Sixers left him open in the corner because they knew he wouldn’t shoot, thus creating a 4 v 5 for us on offense. He simply didn’t mesh, yet Wes started him. Then, after starting the last three games, he received a DNP. I’m sorry, but nothing adds up. Wes goes from calling him the best fit for this lineup, to relegating him back to the bench. Just an odd coaching philosophy. 

On this recent road trip to Memphis and Charlotte, the Wiz found themselves trailing in the third quarter. The starters were getting beat, so WUJ looked to his bench for a spark. Who was the guy who provided that boost? Jordan Goodwin. Along with Rui, Gafford, and Barton, Goodwin lead a 19-0 run in Memphis to take the lead. Instead of going with the hot hand, WUJ put his guy, Monte, back in. An immediate 6-0 Memphis run ensued. The next night, Goodwin helped us break away to start the fourth quarter. We opened a seven-point lead and looked poised to run away with it. Yet again, WUJ opted for the smaller Morris, and yet again, the opposing point guard began scoring. It’s as if Wes overcomplicates things. Just because one guy is the starter doesn’t mean he’ll excel in every matchup. Sometimes it’s best to go with what’s working instead of who’s getting paid more. 

Like: Rui’s aggression 

Entering a contract year, you knew Rui would come out swinging. Most of the training camp dialogue highlighted Hachimura as the top performer. It’s clear now that the buzz was real. Rui leads the Wizards in bench scoring at 11 ppg and is tied for the NBA lead in most double-digit scoring games off the bench with nine (@ChaseHughesNBCS on Twitter). He’s finally playing to his 6’9, 230 lb frame. I love how he takes it straight into his defenders’ chest and draws contact, something he was reluctant to do early in his career. The best part is that he’s finishing at the rim. His drives keep defenders on their heels and allow him to pull up for his patented mid-range jumper. Things seem to be coming together for the fourth-year player, just in time to secure a big pay-day. 

Dislike: Monte Morris and Will Barton 

When we acquired Morris and Barton in exchange for KCP, I was ecstatic. I thought they would bring their skills over from Denver and improve our offense. Boy, was I wrong…well at least so far. Things can always change, but they’ve not had the greatest start. Morris is a liability on defense. Teams hunt him down on switches and make him a primary defender. Whatever defensive abilities he has are neutralized by his lack of size, which severely hurts the team. Offensively, he strays away from the paint. Our half-court offense is too stagnant because he’s unable to penetrate and cause the defense to rotate.  

Barton has shown an ability to get buckets, but man does he dribble too much. Just last night, he had back-to-back turnovers as a result of running into sideline traps. His close-outs have been lazy, and his perimeter defense has been a joke. He’s a –53 on the season, good for second worst on the team (Statmuse). He gives me Dinwiddie vibes. When he has the ball, you can expect a turnover, reckless drive, or step-back three. And yes, sometimes his shot falls. But more likely than not, the results aren’t favorable. 

At 5-6 through eleven games, the Wizards sit in a familiar spot: The middle of the pack. Coming off a difficult stretch of games against the league’s top teams, they return home for a six-game home-stand against: 

Dallas 

Utah 

Memphis 

OKC
Miami 

Charlotte 

The front end will be tough, but if you can take 2/3, you’re sitting pretty heading into that back end. A big couple games coming up for Washington. Let’s get back on track at home! 

Hope you enjoyed the blog! As always, leave a comment or shoot me a DM on Twitter if you have any questions, or just want to talk Wizards basketball. Go Wiz! 

All stats and information found on these sites:

Wes Unseld’s Leash is Getting Shorter by the Day: Here’s Why 

When Ted Leonsis hired Wes Unseld Jr. back in July of 2021, it felt like an all-around win. The fans believed a defensive head coach would solve our longstanding issues, and the organization came full circle when hiring the son of their greatest legend. A promising 10-3 start brought forth a moment of intrigue, but once teams caught on to us, we had no answer. Now, a year later, the same holds true. Teams have devised game plans to neutralize our best players, and Wes hasn’t adjusted accordingly. If he wants to stay put as the HC in DC, he must improve in that area. 

Poor adjustments, defensive woes, and confusing rotations have defined this three-game slide. Below is a dive into why these issues have lingered throughout Unseld’s tenure. 

Confusing Rotations: 

Once we signed Delon Wright, the dialogue surrounding the starting point guard began. While most believed Monte would start, many preferred Wright’s defense. Although Morris started the season at PG, Wright’s second unit played better defense and the team flourished when he was on the floor. So, after the first three games, prior to Wright’s injury, why did WUJ never make that switch? It’s trivial things like this that every fan can clearly see that makes you second-guess his philosophy.  

If you thought the starting PG debate was complex, look no further than the SF position. Heading into Indiana on October 20th, we all expected Barton to start. Then, after playing in zero preseason games, Deni took that spot. This was a win in my book. Deni’s defensive skill and versatility are far superior, making him the better fit with the starting group. He played well for the first six games, taking on the toughest defensive assignment each time. Then, unexpectedly, Wes benched him after essentially calling him out in his postgame presser. Now, obviously some games he’s going to get beat on defense. That’s to be expected when guarding the league’s top talent. However, it doesn’t mean he deserved to get pulled this early into the season. 

Pulling Deni was not the right move, especially because he was replaced with Anthony Gill. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love what Gill brings to the locker room. He boosts morale and is the perfect glue guy. That being said, he’s a 10th/11th man at best. If you watched any of the game vs Philly, they hid Harden on Gill and played off of him in the corner. Doc Rivers knew he wouldn’t shoot the open jumper, and even if he did, Gill would miss most of them. Washington essentially played 4 v 5 on offense against a top defensive team. That’s not a winning formula. 

Finally, you have Johnny Davis, your lottery pick, being forced into a bigger role. He looks lost, confused, bamboozled, and dumbfounded. When the ball comes his way, he can’t get it to someone else quicker, including the other team. We all had our reservations about this front office’s ability to draft, but this most recent selection has truly raised concerns. He’s literally unplayable. Why not just send him to the GoGo? Bring Kris Dunn up to replace Wright in his absence, and have Davis develop in the G-league. 

Defensive Woes: 

A major point in Tommy’s head coach search was defense. We had it under Whitman, lost it under Brooks, and hoped to regain it under Unseld. There’s been moments where I thought this team was the ‘88 Pistons, and times where they looked like the 2020 Wizards. It’s been more like the Wizards of old to begin the season, which must change. 

Let’s start with the perimeter defense. It’s horrific. The lack of communication between players, especially in transition, is worrisome. About five to six times over the last two games, our opponent has walked into a wide-open three-pointer. That’s inexcusable! Another thing I want to highlight is weak closeouts, specifically Kuzma and Barton. Instead of chopping their feet and getting a hand up to contest, I’ve watched these two lazily jog out to the open man. They give up before even trying, which sets an awful precedent for this team. Simply can’t have that on winning teams. 

Poor Adjustments: 

It’s one thing to devise a solid game plan. However, if you can’t adjust to what your opponent does in-game, you’re in a world of trouble.  

In two of our last three games, teams have put a guard on KP. This was definitely unexpected, but is something you would expect WUJ to have a counter for. We struggled to get KP good looks inside and allowed 6’5 PJ Tucker to hold his own against our 7’3 center. That’s just awful, and is a result of Wes over-complicating his offensive sets. I mean all you have to do is isolate Porzingis and play off the double teams. And if they don’t double, he will feast. It’s quite simple. 

Another instance of poor adjustments came against Philly when they spammed the Harden and Maxey high pick & roll. Instead of doubling at the top or aggressively switching, we stayed in drop coverage and allowed them to torment us. What’s so infuriating about this particular blunder is that we could’ve just gone small. If we weren’t using our bigs effectively on offense, then why not go small with Kuz or Gill at the 5 so we can at least compete defensively!? It’s mindboggling. 

With all this being said, I still believe WUJ can turn this around. His defense has worked before, so hopefully he can finally make some adjustments and do it again. The problem is that his coaching has become stale, and Wizards fans are fed up with watching the same BS over and over again. If he doesn’t start to improve this record, he’ll lose the support of the fans, and possibly the organization. 

As always, feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts, or send me a DM on Twitter to discuss this topic further. Hope you enjoyed the blog!