Examining All the Possibilities for the Wizards at Pick #8 

Top Targets if the Wizards stay at #8

To no surprise, the Wizards will select 8th overall in this year’s upcoming NBA draft. It’s where they were supposed to pick. That’s the problem though. This franchise needed some lottery luck for once and came up just short. 

According to Ben Golliver, the Wizards and Spurs had the exact same number combination when the first three numbers were announced for the number one pick. They both had 14, 5, 8. The Wizards held six of the possible eleven final numbers, essentially giving them a 54.5% chance at winning the first pick. Instead, the Spurs combination was called, and the Wizards terrible lottery luck continued. 

Nonetheless, they have the 8th pick. They also don’t have a GM. That’s the biggest concern. With the draft coming up in just over a month, hiring someone soon is paramount. They need time to get their draft board together and come up with an offseason strategy. 

There’s a plethora of ways the Wiz can go with this pick. They could: 

1. Hold firm at #8 and take a PG
  2. Trade up to take Scoot or Amen
  3. Trade role players to move back into the first round

With that being said, here’s a list of targets for the Wizards if they stay at pick #8: 

1. G Anthony Black 

At 6’7, Black provides size and passing ability in the backcourt. Alongside Beal, his pass-first mentality will allow Brad to play more off-ball. His shot needs some work, but the mechanics are there. He’d be a nice fit at a position of need. 

2. F Taylor Hendricks 

Although we have a stretch-big in Porzingis, you can never have too much shooting. Hendricks is an elite shooter for his position at 39.4% from three. He spaces the floor, protects the paint, and can switch onto smaller guards. His versatility is everything you want in a lottery pick. I would heavily consider taking him, even if Black is still on the board.  

3. G Cason Wallace 

Kentucky point guards always seem to deliver in the NBA. Wallace is thought of as one of the best perimeter defenders in this draft class. His wingspan allows him to get into passing lanes and disrupt shots. He ran Kentucky’s offense well this season, generating great looks for his bigs. He fills an immediate need at PG and can start right away.  

4. F Jarace Walker 

I’m a bit lower on Walker than most. His strength is a major factor down low, but his lack of height at just 6’7 worries me, especially at the PF position. I actually like his fit next to KP. He’d allow KP to play more free safety on defense and help us on that end. If no more PG’s are there, I wouldn’t mind taking Walker. 

5. G Keyonte George 

George is a flat-out scorer. He can get to the rim, pull up from mid-range, and knock it down from deep. What I like most is that he isn’t afraid to take the big shots. He stepped up when needed, and that’s the type of player I want. His fit in DC isn’t the best though, with Beal at SG and Johnny Davis entering year two.

Option 2: Trade up to get pick #3

Damian Lillard said that he’s not in Portland for a rebuild. He wants to win now, and if the Blazers don’t go out and make that happen, he’s likely to request a trade. Portland is already shopping the 3rd overall pick, according to ESPN, which is definitely something to monitor.

If they decide to trade that pick for a co-star to Dame, here’s my proposed offer:

Bradley Beal, pick #8 —> Portland

Anfernee Simons, Cam Reddish, pick #3 —> Washington

Essentially, this is a swap of Beal for Simons and pick #8 for pick #3. Beal is in his prime and can help Dame win now. Simons is still young and will become the best young player on the Wizards.

Washington is able to move up and select Scoot Henderson, assuming the Hornets take Brandon Miller at #2. That sets Washington up with a back-court of Henderson and Simons for years to come. They also get off of Beal’s contract, which is a huge bonus.

I understand why some of you may think Portland won’t do this. But you should if you’re a Wizards fan.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. The Blazers have put roster after roster around Dame, and every time it blows up in their face. Yet, they are still determined to make it work, and for that reason, I can see them doing something as dumb as this.

If we stay at 8, my top-five prospects are listed above. And if we make a move into the top-3, my preferred trade is listed above. Either way, we are in a decent spot to get a really talented player.

All stats and info found on these sites:

https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/portland-trail-blazers/cam-reddish-31567/#:~:text=Cam%20Reddish%20signed%20a%204,a%20cap%20hit%20of%20%2417%2C863%2C362.