Guanajuato Silver Mines

Guanajuato is described as a “charming colonial-era city situated in a picturesque valley.” It brags “delightful little plazas, cobblestone streets, beautiful churches,” and “magnificent religious and civil architecture.”  There is an interesting history behind this beautiful city, and Guanajuato owes much of its foundation to the rich silver mines that were discovered in the area in the mid-1600s.

When the Spanish discovered silver in Guanajuato, the silver mining industry quickly took off. There were a number of important mines, and many of Guanajuato City’s neighborhoods are named after the mines.

The most significant of these mines was the La Valenciana mine in the northern part of Guanajuato. As one of the most productive silver mines in the world, it produced about 30% of the world’s silver for more than 250 years. Although production has slowed, La Valenciana is still in operation today. It is estimated that approximately 10,000 miners have worked in this particular mine throughout its history.

Some of the mines now serve as tourist attractions, including the Bocamina de San Ramon mine. Visitors can descend through the old shafts and view a gallery of minerals found in the area.

In the 16th century, Guanajuato was the richest city in Mexico thanks to its silver mining industry. The silver mines have played an important role in the history of Guanajuato.

Shaft of La Valenciana mine. Guanajuato, Mexico

“Guanajuato Tours and Transportation.” Go San Miguel. N.p. 2016. Web. 2016.

“Guanajuato.” Visit Mexico. Mexico Tourism Board, 2012. Web. 16 Feb. 2016.

Luong, Q.T. La Valenciana Mine. Digital image. N.p. 2005. Web. 16 Feb. 2016.

“Silver of La Valenciana.” Old Lost Mines, Ghost Towns and Graveyards. Lost Mines, n.d. Web. 16     Feb. 2016.

3 thoughts on “Guanajuato Silver Mines

1. Casey Elizabeth Branstetter

Awesome topic! I think this unique piece of Guanajuato history is fascinating! The fact you shared about them contributing 30% of the world’s production for so long is impressive. I look forward to visiting an old silver mine, and hopefully we come across some products made with that locally-mined silver. Learning how the Guanajuato silver mines influences our country’s industry will be a great opportunity.

2. Tony Rice

When I first read your blog, I was surprised to learn that 30% of the world’s supply of silver was extracted from Guanajuato for over 200 years. That means that, at one point in time, there was a one in three chance that all silver (coins, jewelry, clips, ect.) came from this small town, which I think is mind-blowing! I am super excited to visit the tunnels and maybe, just maybe, take some silver home with me!

3. Gail Good

You are correct is stating silver mining played an important role in Guanajuato’s history, Laura. Silver mining and Catholicism were the two important pieces responsible for Guanajuato’s development. We will visit a silver mine (no longer functioning) that will provide us the opportunity to learn what it was like to work in the mines. In addition, silver jewelry is very popular in Guanajuato and reasonably priced. We will have time to do some shopping in the city of Guanajuato including the jewelry stores. Silver jewelry such as earrings make great souvenirs and gifts to take home.