PAS4: Audible Art

In this passion post I would like to further challenge the meaning of “art” by analyzing the ways in which music is art.  Many people are already in accordance with this statement, but many are not. It is my belief that art is evident in music just as it is in more “physical” pieces. For instance, the basic idea of art is associated with the presence of many types of art. There are those who draw, who paint, who sculpt, and so on. Similarly, there are musicians that have different tasks. Those who play string instruments, who play wind instruments, who sing, and so on. Musicians are multi-faceted individuals with truly unique qualities. They are so talented in the skills because music requires a fine tuned sense of hearing. The commonalities do not stop here, however. They extend to the genres we use to describe types of music. Some music is upbeat and invigorating and is identified as pop. Other music is much louder and faster and is called heavy metal. Like this, traditional art is categorized into types. Painters during certain time periods were very detailed and used dark colors to depict people; they were referred to as baroque artists. On the other hand painters that painted more randomly and nonsensically were under the category of surrealism. Music is distinguished by certain qualities, as is other art. What’s more is how musicians and singers are more often than not referred to as artists. This is clear common ground, proving how music really is art.

concert2        concert3

concert4        concert1

While I am passionate about music and open to listening anything and everything, one of my favorite aspects of music is the concert experience. I was lucky enough to attend a concert this weekend at the HUB and to even have a 3rd row view. The band “Cold War Kids” performed this Friday in an incredible rock concert. Spending that hour or so with a group of friends and truly taking in the beauty of the performance is something I will never get tired of. Throughout it, the band ‘s stage was illuminated beautifully by a combination of lights. The blend of the stage lights with the music created quite the ambiance. The musicians gave their all throughout each and every song. Simply watching them following their passion was a touching experience. It was evident how much this meant to them. As a result, my reaction reflected on the beauty of the show. Everyone there was just soaking in the music, singing along, and overall feeling the vibes they were giving off. Some people were slightly  dancing in place, others hardly swaying, and then there were those who completely let it all out through their movements. It was calming for me to just observe all the people congregated in one hall to view this band. Everyone with lives and minds of their own sharing this experience. It was so artistic in how unique it was. The glowing lights, the perfect music, and the beautiful people all created this aura of wonder. The concert was a work of art that I will always remember.