February 23, 2018

Brielle Blanton believes in getting as involved as possible during her time at Penn State. She participates in multiple organizations like Ohana, Volé, the Eberly College of Science Student Council, Nexus, the Black Student Union, and she’s in the middle of applying to be a RA.

The special interest organization she’s in is Ohana, which raises money for THON. It also supports four THON children, Jay, Ashlyn, Kaitlyn, and Tyler. They spend time and have picnics with their THON children, and they also go to their sporting events. “They were the third highest total amount fundraised at THON,” Blanton says proudly. She says that the organization has a time commitment of about an hour each week, and they meet every Sunday or Monday.

Another organization Blanton participates in is Volé, which is one of Penn State’s largest dance orgs. She says that everyone is accepted into this organization, and then placed into technique classes based on skill level. They are mainly a ballet club, but they also have jazz, contemporary, hip hop, and tap. They perform twice a year, in both a spring and a fall showcase. They also danced at this year’s THON. Blanton says that this semester, she spends about three hours a week dancing with Volé. “Volé allows me to continue with my passion for dancing, and is also a good stress reliever.”

Blanton is also involved with the Eberly College of Science Student Council and Nexus, which are both within the Eberly College of Science. She says that with these organizations, she helps plan events within the Eberly College of Science for Welcome Day, which is for incoming students in the college to learn more about their major and what the college offers. Through the org, she can also attend presentations based off of research opportunities and studying abroad.

The Black Student Union, which she is also involved in, offers discussions based off of race and inequality. She says that it also hosts events showcasing the successful members of the black community at Penn State.

Blanton says that there’s a lot of benefits to being involved in these orgs. She enjoys meeting new people and says joining an organization or a club is a great way to do it. “There’s so many orgs at Penn State, so there’s something for everyone.”

“Being in these orgs is great. Each one I’m in reflects who I am as a person. It gives me something to do so I don’t stay in my room all day, and they all give back to others in some way.”

Blanton also remarks that she’s learned important skills through joining her orgs. “It helps with time management, because you have to remember when all the meetings are and balance them with class, homework, exams, and having a social life.”

“The things you do within the org help benefit not just you but the outside community. You learn business skills, and you can learn leadership skills.” Blanton says. “Being highly involved shows you’re well rounded and looks good on professional or grad school applications.”

When I asked Blanton how she became involved in so many organizations, she said it was through attending the Involvement Fair “I literally spent three hours there walking down each row and narrowing down my options.”

She recommends that anyone looking to get more involved should make going to the Involvement Fair a priority. “Preview Penn State’s clubs and make a list. Then take time out of your day to go to the involvement fair and spend quality time there getting information about the clubs that interest you.”

Brielle Blanton is a freshman and Biology Major at Penn State University.