Why “Suicide Squad” was so bad?

Hello there!

Welcome to a new week, I hope you’re all doing well during these tense past few days. I am going to do a review this time, I know, I keep changing focus but I’m still trying to find the best way of doing this blog! I hope you’re going to stick with me. <3

I love DC Comics, but their movies… that’s another story. Too much potential goes wasted due to poor execution on part of the company doing them. So, with that in mind, I remebered a movie which to this day I regret spending $30 on. That would be Suicide Squad.

If you feel like you could be offended easily do not read this post! No hate on the actors though, juts the movie.

Let’s start!

One of the big blockbuster bets for summer in the northern hemisphere in 2016, Suicide Squad debuted causing some noise. Not because of the number of explosions on the screen or because of the deafening soundtrack, but because of the shouting of the fans in the face of the almost unanimous negative reviews.

Suicide Squad is what is conventionally called an announced tragedy. Since its announcement at the end of 2014, the film had been presenting serious problems, such as a change in the cast on the eve of the beginning of recordings, and reshoots of scenes to give a new tone to the production. On screen, this is all clear: aimless characters, lame resolutions, lack of rhythm and non-existent direction.

The premise that the suicide Squad is formed by villains is also not fulfilled. In fact, the gang is so full of good intentions and acts so much within the rules that it makes the Batman of the also disastrous Batman vs Superman – The Origin of Justice seem evil. They are so nice that they have to keep saying that they are villains. Guilt of the script, written by also director David Ayer? Can be. But not only.

Initially a gloomy film, Suicide Squad had its darkness dimmed to capture an audience more interested in fanfare and easy laughter – one of the criticisms made of Batman vs. Superman, released in April. Hence we have strong scenes, like Harlequin (Margot Robbie) being forcibly fed by a nasal tube, interspersed by the same character making a crazy face and commenting on the “smell of death” (?) Of another character. And it does not do this because it is stripped, but because it was poorly built. It sounds artificial, a patch made in a hurry.

The same problem affects Jared Leto’s Joker. The iconic villain simply does not say what he came for, acting more like a e-boy than a really dangerous guy. His scenes are good for those who are thinking about the next fantasy parties.

Will Smith, as Gunshot, simply reprises his role in action films and Cara Delevingne is a case of shame in others playing a cosplay by the villain Gozer from the first Ghostbusters. The excellent Viola Davis is saved in the role of government agent (and villain, in fact) Amanda Waller. The rest of the cast is expendable and is there for the “extras”.

Indefensible, the film ended up devastated by critics, be it specialized or amateur, from large vehicles to independent blogs. Two of the most respected review aggregator sites, Metacritic scored 49 and Rotten Tomatoes gave 33% approval. The fans did not like it and decided to create a petition to close Rotten Tomatoes, alleging the persecution of critics to the films with characters from the comic book publisher DC Comics (Batman vs Superman got 27% on the same site).

Nonsense, of course: Suicide squad is bad because it’s really bad. And it indicates that, with or without criticism, not even villains are managing to save DC Comics in theaters.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Xn0N4k3JN84/V6GcBwsgRYI/AAAAAAAAEVY/-kUDvTgBiugJE-Z6-yDe53l1yovIkC8OgCLcB/s400/SS%2BGroup-R.tif