375 million jobs may be automated by 2030

The McKinsey Global institute warns people to stay flexible in the global workforce, with the prediction that 375 million workers will need to switch occupational categories due to automation.

The report states that the work most at risk are physical jobs in predictable environments, such as operating machinery or preparing fast food. Data and collection processing is also in trouble, with implications for mortgage origination, paralegals, accounts and back-office processing.

Workers must embrace training in different fields, but governments and companies will need to help with the transition. Co-author of the report and partner for the McKinsey Global Institue says that the model where people go to school for the first 20 years of life and work for the next 40 or 50 is no longer going to work. People will need to get used to learning and training in new things throughout their life.

The authors believe that we may see a massive transition on a scale that has not been seen since the early 1900s, when workers shifted from farms to factories. It also stated the potential need for an effort on the same scale as the Marshall Plan, when the US spend billions to rebuild Western Europe after World War II.

I think that a lot of people will be scared by the number of jobs that will be taken away, but I think that with ti there will come a lot more jobs as well. We will need people who know how to fix these machines when they are down, and people who need to develop more efficient and cheaper machines. I do think that it is going to require more people to pursue higher education and for everyone to become more well versed in technology.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/28/technology/job-automation-report/index.html

7 thoughts on “375 million jobs may be automated by 2030

1. I agree that jobs will be created with the future technological advancements. I also believe that in order to maintain the effectiveness of these machines that additional schooling will have to take place, but I believe rather than simply getting a degree many trade schools will begin teaching the knowledge needed for these positions. Just as many students have the ability to go to school for plumbing or welding, they will have a new option to learn the information needed to operate these machines and maintain their efficiency. I believe this will also help with the huge shift in the work place.

2. I totally agree with the need to change how we educate for the coming future. No longer will the older system of lectures and instruction work for a generation destined to have multiple jobs throughout their lifetime. For us to adapt to this new shift in the economy we need to take actions early to prepare for the inevitable wave of automation. While am concerned for how broadly automation could affect the economy, I’m not scared for the future. This is because automation has the potential to lead to higher wages and better jobs since automation replaces repetitive, and predictable jobs which are usually low-skill jobs anyway. However, this brings us back to the issue of education if people in an automated career field are replaced, they will need help most likely from the government to learn new skills. Overall, this is the direction the economy is going and big changes are needed to adapt to these new problems.

3. I think this is a scary reality that humans will lose a ton of jobs to robots. In the article it mentioned how the idea of going to school for 20 years and working for 40 or 50, that’s broken. You have to be willing to learn during your career now which is an interesting way to look at it. Without learning during your career you may be replaced either by humans or robots.

https://gizmodo.com/robots-are-already-replacing-human-workers-at-an-alarmi-1793718198

in this article it talks about how robots being used are supposed to quadruple by 2025.

4. I am not sure how to feel about this happening. On the good side, our world is advancing and things are becoming much easier to do. On the bad side, people continue to lose jobs as these advancements continue to replace them. I understand that these advancements create jobs because someone has to create the technology and make sure it works. My question is: what about the people that don’t have the fancy skills and certifications? Yes, an automatic cash register takes 10 people to create and test but what about the one cashier that lost their job because of it? Are people now forced to get high education and degrees because now machines can do what are looked at as “unskilled jobs”?

5. This is pretty alarming to hear. Especially since the article states that the method of going to college, then working for the next 40 to 50 years is going to become outdated. It would suck to graduate from college, then in the next couple of years have to go back to school to be trained for another job. Also I think that this will have a major impact on people with low income jobs. These jobs are really basic, and as mentioned in the article, these jobs will be replaced by robots. Now the poor will only continue to get poorer. Or maybe this will be beneficial to poorer people. Maybe if education is needed every couple of years to keep up with jobs the price will drop, and allow for lower income people to be able to afford this education. Either way, I believe what this article has to say, and can definitely see a lot of jobs getting replaced by robots, as well as people having to continually learn new jobs and skills. Relating this article to class, I think that what we learned about hardware and software will have to improve to be able to accomplish the replacement of these jobs with robots. Although the jobs are pretty basic, I still think that the technology isn’t there yet to perform these tasks. Here is an interesting article about jobs that will be replaced around the world by robots, and that the most will be in the United States. They say that more jobs will be replaced in the US than elsewhere because they are more routine.
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/24/technology/robots-jobs-us-workers-uk/index.html

6. I think that the future of job replacement is not avoidable. Our technology is improving everyday and I feel like the job replacement is definitely necessarily. The idea of the fourth industrial revolution is currently happening, and everyone who lives in the developed countries will have to embrace it.

Recently when I went to the career fair, most of the companies prefer people who is a fast learner and are willing to learn. Thus, I think that being open and curious are very important for people who are still studying. People who are open and curious will have privileges since they can catch up with the fast transaction we are facing.

I personally don’t think that job being replace by machine is a negative thing. I believe that when the technology improved, there will be a new job opportunity. For example, in the future if the rescue machine become reality, the government can set up IT group for police and fire department to maintain the rescue machines they have. Also, the IT group can try to develop more technology to increase the survive rate of policeman and firefighters.

At the end, the support from the government is very important, especially in the education part. Government will have to support programs that help poor people to get higher education, so that the children from lower-class can find a job in the future.

7. I have mixed feelings about this article. Before I did research on the subject I decided to consider my personal beliefs about technology taking over jobs. On one hand, I know it is true that new advanced technologies are taking over jobs that have been previously been done by people. This is something that has been evident in the past (as stated in the article—things have gone from farms to factories). However, I think there are certain jobs out there that require compassion and empathy which are jobs that need to be done by humans since machines and robots do not have emotional capacity. I agree though that there are some jobs that would genuinely be completed more efficiently by machines than people. After research on the subject, I found an article titled “Robots will destroy our jobs—and were not ready for it”. While this title seemed a little extreme, I knew it related to the article in this post so I decided to read it for a better understanding. The article opened up talking about fast food places and how cashiers are being replaced by screens. For a minute, I was thinking that this was a ridiculous idea. But then I realized that I have been exposed to things like this many times! I go to Panera all the time downtown. They have regular cashiers that take your order, and they also have touch screens that take your order for you. I almost always choose the machine over the cashier just because it is easier and takes less time. This revelation helped me see that while we may not notice it, there are in fact many technologies that are taking over certain types of jobs. I think there are positives and negatives to this. The positives are that certain businesses can see things done more efficiently and save money. They can also allocate people who were previously doing jobs that we did not have technologies for to do other jobs that cannot be completed by machines. The negatives are that many people in certain fields are at risk of losing their jobs. Basically, technologies taking over peoples’ jobs is beneficial to businesses as a whole, but not individual people. Before I read these articles, I did not realize the extremity of the subject. These articles helped me understand that technologies are actually rapidly taking over jobs and there is not much we can do about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/11/robots-jobs-employees-artificial-intelligence