iPhone updates adds privacy “transparency”

Starting on May 25, the EU will institute tougher data regulation rules for organizations with access to user data. Amid the stricter consequences outlined by the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation, Apple has developed a software update affecting iOS, MacOS, and tvOS, aimed at helping the public understand how their data is being used. The update will provide an information display about the type of data being collected when they open Apple apps for the for the first time. Apple has not made changes to the amount of data that it collects. The update simply acts as a transparency measure to alert individuals about how their data is being used. Additionally, these individuals cannot opt out of certain data collection without forgoing their ability to use certain Apple apps, such as the App Store. However, Apple users will have some control. They will be able to download the information that Apple has retrieved about them, prevent Apple from utilizing their data by deactivating their Apple ID for a short period of time, and deleting the data that Apple stores by permanently shutting down their Apple ID. Many Open Rights Groups are applauding the changes, declaring that new privacy rights gives power back to the people and forces companies to be aware of their users concerns.

I personally never thought much about the amount of information I was giving away to companies. I did not realize that when I was using a platform for free, I was actually paying for it with my data. Considering that I spend so much time protecting my information from malware, software, and phishing by using secure passwords and other security measures, I should not be so lax about how my information is disseminated. As an Apple user, I will take advantage of the new update to understand which information Apple is storing. Once I become more knowledgeable, than I can determine if I want to taken even more preventive measures to protect my data.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43571809

One thought on “iPhone updates adds privacy “transparency”

1. Apple has always seemed to be ahead of the curve with consumer trends but even this push for privacy transparency was a shocking yet relieving one for me. I found it really interesting when you said that you never realized when you were using something for free you were “paying for it with data”. That is such an interesting way of putting it.
    I have always been the opposite, I generally skim threw the terms and agreements on things online and I always read things before I sign and stuff like that. A lot of times I was always dumbfounded at how other people did not realize what happened with there information. I too think what apple is doing is amazing; I think knowledge is power and the more people understand how something works the better they will be for it. But I have to wonder how much of this is going to help? and how much of this is even on Apple?
    Yes- people will now be able to see where their data goes, but the option to give the data was still there in the first place. Apple is adding some features to make some things to be able to turn the data collecting off, however there are certain applications like the App Store that needs access to your personal data. A lot of these are “opt in” or when you sign the “terms and agreements” which are both legal and normal.

I hope people learn from this update and are able to apply their knowledge to the future and continue to think about what they are sharing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5561617/Apple-launches-iOS-11-3-raft-privacy-features.html