Competitive Gaming

I feel that competitive gaming is becoming more and more prevalent throughout the World. High schools in the country are starting to adapt this trend and provides it to students as an after school “activity or sport.” Colleges are now even offering scholarships for gaming to students. I think it is cool that people will get the chance to earn a scholarship for something different than a typical sport. This is huge in the gaming world because it is going to provide more publicity and revenue. This will help the industry in a good way. This gives kids who aren’t into sports and into gaming a way to be involved in more with their school and potentially even further than that. I have a friend who is involved with eSports and has been playing competitively since he was in high school. He now signs up for National and International gaming tournaments and makes a living off of his winnings. I feel like gaming in the future can provide a way of living for people.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/video-gaming-to-become-an-official-after-school-league-in-arizona

25 thoughts on “Competitive Gaming

1. The development of video games provides a wider commercial market, creating a new type of industry chain. It can be constituted by the professional e-sport players who participate in the matches, coaches that leading and advising the team, people who commenting inside matches, people who held competition behind the scenes, etc. The market is brand new and comprehensive, it could be involved with most of the things in our life. From the article, it will be a milestone for the global esports market, the revenue behind the market is over 1 billion. Moreover, 82 percent of revenue comes from the investment of different companies. After analysis of data, there are roughly 400 million of the audience under the video games live stream. Those numbers are not surprising me at all because in my view most of the final of the e-sport games having in an enormous site, and most of the revenue is coming from those fanatic gamers who willing to pay tickets prices and rims. In these days, Olympics confirm e-sport as an event inside the competition, we can see e-sport is becoming much more acceptable than before, this is the best proof for e-sport to show people it not only games but a competitive and gated sport.

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/newzoo-global-esports-economy-will-top-1-billion-for-the-first-time-in-2019/

2. The rise of the game comes from the student group with more current time. On the other hand, with the lengthening of commuting time, many mobile games that can be played on mobile devices are rapidly emerging. At the same time, the pressure of life in contemporary people is getting bigger and bigger, and the choice of leisure and relaxation in the game’s spare time. In fact, the future is not just the game industry, but the development of entertainment industries such as movies is getting better and better.
    At present, PC e-sports still dominates. In the future, mobile e-sports, that is, e-sports operating on mobile phones, will gradually develop. After the development of virtual reality technology, there will even be VR e-sports. In addition to the hands, brain, and eyes, the limbs must also participate in it, which is more like sports.
    The players who can really be in the e-sports circle are also a minority. They all have unbearable hardships behind them. As teenagers, don’t comfort yourself because of the enthusiasm of e-sports. Games and e-sports are completely different. As a hobby of entertainment is still good, open up their own vision, and will also make new friends.

3. I fully agree with the sentiment that competitive gaming should be rewarded in universities as the landscape for Esports is at an all-time especially with Fortnite being as big as it is right now. With games such as League of Legends, CS:GO, Fortnite, RS Siege etc. competitive gamers should have an incentive to fully envelop themselves in the game and with a scholarship to an institution that would help. As I talked about with Super Smash Bros. in my post some prizes can equate to about 83 thousand dollars and that is some serious money off of a fighting game. Thus the environment of what is accepted for scholarships should change with it.

Source: https://www.esportsearnings.com/games/204-super-smash-bros-melee

4. I really like this idea of people doing gaming as a sport. I think it’s great because not everyone is born to be a football player. It’s really amazing that schools are recognizing the talent it takes for people to do well in these games, and giving them scholarships for their talent. It’s nice to see people other then sports players being given a chance to showcase their passion and talent. In High School I had a friend who was really into gaming, and was sponsored by a company to play, and he makes a lot of money from it. I also know that many schools reached out to him and offered him money to come play at their school.

5. Having competitive gaming being an up and coming activity, is a great thing for kids of all ages. Not only does it entertain the younger generation, it also keeps the older generations, such as late middle schoolers , to college student from falling into the wrong crowds. It is safe to say that playing a sport, because it takes your time, keeps you out of trouble, and in many cases, keeps you away from drugs. Not only would it be an activity to turn to other than drugs for the younger generation crowd who doesn’t enjoy sports, there are also famous gamers that set great examples for kids, such as ninja, who stoped using foul language, and promotes good behavior. Overall, competitive gaming is a good alternative for kids, who don’t enjoy sports. Although at the same time, competitive gaming is a very stationary activity that could result in health problems for the individual in the future if the don’t compensate with some alternative form of exercise

6. I totally agree with the post. When I was in high school, I had a friend from China who loves playing game very much. Through the half of the semester, he started not to come to classes and to play games all day. Then one day, he decided to go back to China and play as a professional gamer. He can play games for living base on his winning. That is just one way of how competitive gaming influences modern day life. In China, people would live stream themselves playing games and get paid from the streaming platform company. One can either be really talented and skilled at gaming or be really bad but funny so people can laugh at one’s mistakes. At the same time, when competitive gaming brought people’s view and interests in the streaming industry years ago, people now can also be a streamer in many other fields, such as pure chatting, makeup tutorial, outdoor adventure and even just based on one’s good-looking appearance. (https://hackernoon.com/a-primer-on-chinas-live-streaming-market-352409ad2c0b) Therefore, competitive gaming really had a huge influence on people’s lives and brought people opportunities to shine other than the conventional fields.

7. I find it so interesting that you can make a living off of gaming now! It really goes to show how much technology is evolving and how it’s becoming a vital part of society. I love that you can get scholarships from gaming now too. I looked into it and found this website of scholarships for gamers, https://www.top10onlinecolleges.org/scholarships-for/gamers/ . All of these scholarships are in the thousands, some are a few thousand, and there’s even one for up to $50,000. This is such an awesome opportunity for those with these type of skills. I think it’s a great way were adapting to a more technology-based society.

8. I think its awesome that eSports are starting to gain media coverage. The NBA has also taken huge strides with this. They have started an esports league where each NBA team has a 2k team. They compete throughout the season and have playoffs.

https://2kleague.nba.com/

I think finding an outlet for all kids to express themselves through from a young age will help lower crime rates and drug rates of the future generation.

9. Competitive gaming has definitely shot up in it’s popularity in the past few years. With streaming services such as twitch gaining huge audiences, hosting competitions, and creating a system where streamers can earn money off of ads and subscriptions, streaming has pulled in a large amount of money to be had. Twitch sees an average of 15 million viewers per day and its audience continues to grow. Ninja, one of their top streamers pulls in over $500,000 a month through streaming, ads, sponsorships, and subscribers. As said in the post above schools are offering scholarships and creating competitive teams for people to play on. I think people are recognizing that this is becoming a popular activity that has a lot of money in it and that it is only going to get bigger.

10. I love the idea of people receiving scholarships for gaming. One of my friends is very good at super smash bros as he would compete in tournaments and win a great amount of money for it. Amazingly enough, Michigan was considering giving him scholarship for super smash bros melee. I agree that gaming gives kids more to do in college than studying. For example, I am an athlete and if I didn’t do any club sports this semester, I would be sitting in my room wasting time from 6-8. College students have a lot of free time as college classes are much shorter than high school so a college student should have the opportunity to do something they love, including video games. Also, I wanted to be a data science major because I think the idea of coding is amusing. Video games today are code based so one day I would love to code a game. Even video games from virtual reality are popular because you feel like you’re in the game. I believe, eventually, education will be virtual reality based. So, I believe because of video games (virtual reality) education could improve as well.

References: https://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2017/12/esports_is_siena_heights_unive.html

11. Competitive Gaming is garnering more and more attention from people over the world and under such circumstances, implementing the same as one of the after high school activities would help develop the sense of competition, team-play and many more qualities in the students.

It is a well-known fact that there are many people who are making a living out of playing competitively. PowerBang Gaming, Ninja etc. are very popular in the online world as competitive players. And, it is not at all bad given the amount of money some of them earn. They get to participate in official competitions and compete with the best players around the world! For example, EA Sports FIFA ’19 Global Series will be offering a prize money of $100,000 to the winners. Fortnite, on the other hand, will be holding a global championship with a prize money of $100 million in 2019.

Therefore, I feel there should be more support on implementing competitive gaming and starting it from as early as high school can be a good idea!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/17456852/fortnite-world-cup-100-million-epic-games-e-sports-tournaments-e3-2018

https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-19/compete/fifa-19-global-series-official-rules

12. Making Esports as highly known as normal Athletic sports is bringing opportunity to those who may not find a degree fitting for them. Within Esports just like Athletics there are multiple aspects of the intire venue. But the skill level in the West will never be as good as the skill level in the east as the culture and mindset are completely different. The video below shows how and why the Asian community has such a deep skill pool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CkBYvEtxyU
    Bringing friends together is why most people play video games but then to make money out of something you love to do is everyones dream and having universities take it seriously will bring unsuspected candidates to the university.

13. I think that the gaming revolution is truly just beginning. With large channels such as ESPN picking up professional gaming, the exposure can only get bigger. Also, in countries such as South Korea, professional gaming is just as popular as traditional sports. Considering that the level of skills required to play videogames professionally are comparable to the level of skills required to play a real sport, it only makes sense that the mainstream public would pick up on them. In the next 10 years, we will see a lot more video games and a lot less sports.

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/23597723/league-legends-broadcast-espn+

14. Although this article seems positive and good for students having competitions in schools I thinks there are pros and cons regarding competition in schools.
    The pros can be that students can get motivation through competition, students can gain valuable skills when competing against other students and learn from each other and healthy competition can boost self-esteem and engagement. On the other hand, the cons can be that the students could be stressed out, be disappointed and unhealthy competition could lead to lower engagement. I think what matters is the way the school implements competition and how they teach and educate students since little. The way students absorb the term competition can be the crucial point of this issue.
    At the bottom I will leave a link where you can find more information about the pros and cons of competition at school
    https://www.schooliseasy.com/2017/08/is-competition-healthy-in-schools-the-pros-and-cons/

15. Although this sounds good because it is more inclusive, I think these types of scholarships should be very well thought out compared to sports and academic scholarships. Today’s world is facing a lot of issues connected to humans’ overall health, and I don’t know if this would be helping that. I’m not saying I think scholarships like these are a bad thing, but when comparing kids’ health today to decades ago when our parents were kids, we are already a lot less active and unhealthy.

There are many things that factor into this statement, but one of the biggest things is the larger use of technology. Staying active and spending time outdoors is a very important key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and I think that the more scholarships put out for things that encourage staying inside and staring at a screen can make this worse because it’ll be looked at as the easier option to many students seeking scholarships. I myself, along with several students, already spend way too much time using technology because of school, and this can add to that.

I am not against these scholarships, however, because they can be very inclusive to kids who are not good at sports, or not kids who aren’t able to play sports, I just believe they should be maintained so the number of them given does not get out of hand.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/11/20/246316731/kids-are-less-fit-today-than-you-were-back-then

16. According to statistic.com, “In 2016, the number of eSports enthusiasts and occasional viewers totaled 323 million.” Obviously, our society is heavily influenced by technology and technology continues to take over our everyday lives. I don’t find it surprising that people are making scholarships available for experienced gamers since eSports has such a huge following. People are making livings off of things like YouTube and competitive gaming, just like how people can make living off sports. To encourage creativity and increase entertainment outlets, scholarships were made.

https://www.statista.com/topics/3121/esports-market/

17. While I can see why this industry has taken off in the realm of entertainment, I do not see it from a sports standpoint. For me personally, I think sports need to have some sort of physical challenge which video games do not offer but that is not to say that they are easy as they require a large amount of skill and are very challenging. I also think that it is very competitive so it makes sense that competitive gaming has become a thing and gained so much popularity. As you mentioned, it also gives kids a competitive outlet who aren’t into sports and provides them with a community of likeminded individuals. While it makes sense to offer competitive gaming as an extracurricular, I do not think colleges should give scholarships for it. Scholarships should go to students who either went above and beyond in their studies or who need the money for financial or diversity/background purposes for example. As for sports scholarships, those usually recognize students who physically had to challenge themselves, push their bodies to a certain extent and endured physically grueling trainings. To put sports and gaming in the same category is not right as they are two very different things with various components making up the two.
    Sources: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/09/07/espn-boss-declares-esports-not-a-sport/#14392c3c5f80

18. As a gamer and someone who watches Twitch and reads the news about gaming world daily I believe that this is great for students to earn scholarships and tuition at colleges by competing in eSports. As the technology evolves and there are more and more content creators and gamers it allows the society to accept this industry. As it becomes more popular and start to create more revenue, for instance in 2018 eSports generated $906M in revenue compared to 2017 and $655M, it allows other businesses to get into this industry and start generating more money. As we can see, popular Twitch streamers are getting sponsored by big brands and company’s to advertise their products on their streams. In addition to that, these players often run charity streams where people can donate money for certain charities.
    Finally, if you manage to get your name to the competitive scene you would pretty much be able to make a pretty good living out it.

Source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/07/the-explosive-growth-of-esports/

19. I agree, nowadays anyone can start a twitch streaming account and if your good enough and unique enough you can get sponsorships from big time gaming companys. With fortnite being the hottest game out right now, many college aged kids are simply hopping on and playing till they reach the level that pros like ninja and others are at. And the competitons that ninja and others are in are high priced rewards and intense action throughout it all.

20. I agree with your statement, you have made some very powerful points. E-sports is definitely becoming a lot more popular by the day. I believe that there are many benefits to competitive gaming. For example, according to an article I read gaming can cause cognitive benefits. Including improvements in areas like, focus, job related skills, and attention. Twitch is also an aspect of competitive gaming that allows players to stream and make a gaming name for themselves. Fortnite is expanding by the day and will continue to cause competitive gaming to skyrocket.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/freedom-learn/201502/cognitive-benefits-playing-video-games

21. Hi,
    I think the acceptance of competitive gaming has come as more and more individuals have publicized that they can make money and become relevant through doing something they enjoy such as playing video games. It has become more and more popular for individuals who are good at these games to stream on websites such as twitch. Watching famous athletes and others play these games has certantly helped to publicize the game and the gaming industry as a whole

22. I agree, competitive gaming is the future of entertainment as it continues to gain ground throughout countries around the world. Reaching the classroom with the addition of scholarships through an esports curriculum is a huge step in the right direction. Competitive gaming promotes soft skills through teamwork and problem solving through critical thinking in an unconventional way. Coming out of high school with these skills proves valuable as the skills translates very well into the workforce, and if the players are good enough, they can continue a professional esports career that serves as a great form of entertainment to many while offering a stable salary.
    This also a great opportunity for companies from a marketing standpoint. Goldman Sachs valued the industry at around $500 million dollars with a strong track towards reaching $1 billion. The city of Arlington in Texas has gone all in and created a highly valuable gaming venue. It can also be used by companies and organizations to hold conferences that can also take advantage of all the high-tech that is implemented throughout the stadium.

https://www.livingstondaily.com/story/news/local/community/pinckney/2018/11/28/esports-team-pinckney-high-school-competitive-gaming/2114210002/
    https://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology/2018/11/21/arlington-goes-esports-transforming-convention-center-10-million-gaming-venue
    https://www.thedailystar.net/shout/cover-story/news/beginners-guide-competitive-gaming-bangladesh-1657507

23. According to Twitch, a video game streaming website, “More than 100 million viewers watch video game play online each month” and according to Newzoo, an e sports market research company, “that number will jump to 145 million in 2017”. As technology becomes a bigger and bigger part of our lives, it allows for opportunities and acceptance of things, in this case, e sports. E sports has taken off in popularity and in revenue in the last 20 or so years. Through technology such as live streaming, e sports has become a major player in the entertainment as well as sporting industry. I agree with your post that this is a great thing because it allows kids who are not as physically capable or interested in physical sports to utilize their competitive side and play video games. To those that say that e sports aren’t ‘real’ sports, I say that e sports are as real as any sport because to me a sport is anything that there skill and competition involved.