AI-Powered System for Detecting Extreme Weather

Rice University recently developed an AI based solution to predicting extreme weather conditions in an area up to 5 days before it approaches (McFarland, 2020). It makes use of deep learning to understand based on current weather the impact of the extreme weather incoming. The system learned from analyzing weather maps of surface temperature and air pressure 5 km above the surface to make 85% accurate predictions on possibilities like blizzards or heat waves. The existing technology, computer based numerical weather prediction is only useful for daily forecasts but cannot predict harsh changes. Rather than approaching the situation as a numerical problem, their solution is approaching it as an issue of pattern recognition. Their technology uses capsule neural networks which detect spatial relationships to recognize high and low pressure patterns. The engineers who created the application hope for this to provide an early warning system as well as data to help identify the things that cause extreme weather. I believe this type of system can be revolutionary for people who live in areas which are prone to experience drastic weather changes, so they can be prepared and stay safe.

Source: https://www.unite.ai/deep-learning-system-can-accurately-predict-extreme-weather/

2 thoughts on “AI-Powered System for Detecting Extreme Weather

1. Using AI to predict drastic weather shifts is extremely innovative. The interesting thing about this system is that it uses little current weather data. The system thus far has been 85% accurate in their five-day forecasts. In the future, it can also lead as a tool to show us how atmospheric conditions can lead to drastic changes in weather. I think that this technology can drastically change communities where the weather is a constant concern, and give them more time to prepare for what is ahead. I do not see anything wrong with using this technology and see it becoming necessary for predicting weather changes in the future.

https://news.rice.edu/2020/02/04/deep-learning-accurately-forecasts-heat-waves-cold-spells-2/

2. I think that having an AI system that can predict weather changes is something that will prepare people for drastic changes, and in turn keep them safe. The idea that it can predict weather changes 5 days in advance gives people plenty of time to prepare for the weather that is approaching.

Upon looking into what people have been able to achieve with AI, I also found that has outperformed doctors in diagnosing breast cancer. The use of the AI resulted in a 1.2% decrease in false positives, and a 2.7% decrease in false negatives. I think that it is very cool to see how AI has been progressing and how helpful it is in just about every profession.

I think that having AI as a way to prepare people for major weather changes, and using it to detect cancer is something that can help people all over the world. While AI isn’t perfect, I think that it is a tool that doctors, meteorologists, and many other people can use.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50857759