Funding is Secured for Skate Park in State College

Nearly $1.8 million in state funding is available for traffic and pedestrian safety in Patton Township and to construct a skate park in State College, according to State Rep. Scott Conklin (D-Centre).

Conklin said, ‘these worthwhile investments will ensure better traffic flow and pedestrian safety in an already-busy area of the district, and also provide an enjoyable recreational opportunity for residents and visitors.”

$1,541,992 is allotted to fix the intersection along North Atherton and Woodycrest Street in Patton Township.  The second phase will be replacing traffic signals, adding sidewalks, and creating or lengthening turning lanes.

With $250,000 remaining, the Action Sports Park in State College Borough, a public, concrete skate park for bikes, scooters, and skateboards will be built. The park will also include a rain garden.

“I look forward to seeing both of these projects moving forward very soon,” said Conklin.

https://pennskate.com/

8 thoughts on “Funding is Secured for Skate Park in State College

1. Although I do not skate, it is refreshing to hear that spare funding will be used to construct a skate park. I have heard a lot from friends of mine that skate who’ve said that all too often they receive complaints from pedestrians, security personnel and others about skating on sidewalks in town or on campus. Although I think these complaints are usually a bit unnecessary, it goes without saying that constructing a skate park will provide skates with a place to safely practice their craft with others who enjoy it as well. Furthermore, skate parks are known to encourage physical and mental health, as well as positive social interaction. Overall, I think this skate park will benefit a lot of people. Not only the skaters who will happily use it, but also those who may not be fond of public sidewalks being used for skateboarding. And what is better than enjoying your favorite pastime with others who are as passionate about it as you are? Linked below is an article detailing several benefits of installing a public skatepark into a community.

https://www.spohnranch.com/the-top-6-benefits-of-public-skateparks-2014-03-02/

2. As a member of the State College Community, I think it is great that the State College Borough is investing in a skate park and traffic and pedestrian safety. Both of these projects will better our community, giving skate enthusiasts a place to go, while making the roads and sidewalks safer. As of now, Penn State is a “skateboard free” campus, leaving skateboarders with nowhere to go, therefore people risk their safety and skateboard on the roads or break the rules. This park will give them a place where they can go to skate and enjoy themselves. In addition to this, because we are a “skateboard free” campus, students mainly walk from place to place, however with the sheer amount of people that occupy State College, the sidewalks can get crowded from time to time, making walking from place to place dangerous. Especially on game days, there can be an upwards of 45 minutes’ worth of traffic with students and the general public walking around with little regard to cars around them. By replacing traffic signals, adding sidewalks, and creating or lengthening turning lanes it will make the streets safer for everyone—drivers and pedestrians. Both of these additions to our community will make our borough more attractive to potential businesses, families, and students overall boosting our community’s economic growth and our community growth and development. Overall, I am pleased to hear of this announcement and think it will benefit our community greatly.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/10/despite-complaints-penn-state-sticks-with-its-traffic-and-parking-plan.html

3. As a skater in the community, this is a huge plus. Not only will this bring the skate community closer over bonding exercises, group work, and communication, but this will bring new attractions to the borough of State College for new arrivals. State College has been dominated by students and alumni from Penn State University, and overwhelmingly considers the football team to be the largest aspect State College has to offer. That all depends on the funding provided by the borough, though, which does not seem as promising as its potential. By investing time and money into creating the ideal skate park, the community could host all types of skilled skaters, BMXers, and any other roller activity in the park. This certainly would bring the attention towards a new area in State College, if the plan goes accordingly.

https://www.centredaily.com/news/local/community/state-college/article250692049.html

4. As someone that does skateboard, this news is very exciting to hear. Skateboarders are often frowned upon by other people when they try to ride on streets or sidewalks downtown or on campus at Penn State. I have even heard stories of people receiving warnings from campus police about not being allowed to ride their boards on campus. However, this always seemed very unfair to me because skateboarders in State College have nowhere to go to do the thing that they enjoy. So, building this park will finally give skateboarders all around Penn State a place where they can go to practice their tricks and blow off some steam. On top of that, there is only so much that you can do in terms of skateboard tricks on a street or a sidewalk. The different features that will be built into the skatepark, like ramps, rails, and jumps, will allow many skateboarders to broaden their skills. I also think that this will also benefit people that don’t skateboard because there will be less people trying to do tricks on their skateboards in the streets and on the sidewalks in front of buildings.

5. Like many of the people who have replied before me, I also do not skate. However, I understand the priority behind improving pedestrian and traffic safety in State College. Having driven in State College many times before I am oftentimes frustrated by some of the infrastructure, in particular the North Atherton intersection that was mentioned. Improving this intersection, as well as others in the future, will help to solidify the safety of many students and families that live in State College. Additionally, the community development brought on by the skate park project will work to improve an already developing area, as State College has grown a lot in recent years. The improvements and additions to the State College area will allow for growth within the university, as well as encourage more people to move to the area, further feeding into the cycle of growth. While not similar in scale, the developments made in outdoor dining at Pickles Tap Room discussed in this Onward State article is another example of steps in the right direction towards positive community development. https://onwardstate.com/2021/04/20/borough-council-approves-seasonal-pedlet-outdoor-dining-area-at-pickles/

6. As someone who does not personally skateboard, this might not directly effect me but I do know many people that will be thrilled to hear this news! I used to be into skateboarding years ago but never was big on tricks or anything, I would just like to ride and it was more calming for me than about the skills and technical side of the sport. But I know many people are into that and I’m sure everyone has seen make skateboarders around campus trying out new tricks and stunts, so I’m sure they will find excitement hearing this. This benefits the community as a whole because it decrease the amount of skateboarders on campus streets and near campus buildings and even downtown where it could potentially be dangerous. With a safe place and a place designed to actually skateboard, it will decrease the traffic on campus and benefit both the skateboarders and general public as well.

Reference: https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsylvania-state-parks-plan-funding-report-dcnr-pa-20191221.html

7. I also do not skateboard, but I know a lot of people who would be thrilled by a skate park. Even just walking downtown you see some skaters trying to hit tricks wherever they can, but now there will be a designated area for them to go. Also, I have noticed with it getting nicer and more people walking that State College is really bad to drive in. There is so much congestion, so all of the work that the county is doing to improve the situation is really good. Also, not to mention all the jobs that constructing everything will bring. This is an interesting idea by the county and I think it will work out nicely.
    https://www.northcentralpa.com/life/state-college-secures-funding-for-skate-park-project/article_c04929b2-a389-11eb-a662-a34526defc3d.html

8. I don’t personally skateboard, but many of my friends and people I know do, and I am sure they will be happy about this new skate park. Personally when I skateboard, I like to just glide for a while, which isn’t really what a skate park is for so it doesn’t do much for me, but I’m sure people who are very much into tricks and stuff will find a lot of enjoyment in it.

I also believe the people around state college who dislike skateboarding might be happier as well. I think this because right now there is no defined place for skateboarders to go, so now they are just all over the place, and many oriental community members might dislike them loitering in public. Now however, there will be a park, so skateboarders can congregate there in a safe, enclosed environment.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/why-are-so-many-adults-angry-at-skateboarders-072513.html