Technology helps create a better life experience

In today’s era of more and more advanced technology, data science is not only limited to the development of technology but also integrated into life.

According to the BBC, a university professor used data science to create a program that automatically matches near-perfect wine and cheese pairings. The program uses a visual map, filters through the cheese selected by the user and the original site, and finally presents an interactive map.

The present invention undoubtedly provides a very convenient platform for wine lovers and cheese lovers, wherein the database records information about thousands of ideal pairings and quite a few wines and cheeses, and a pairing list can be developed only based on specific information. Although such a platform is very convenient, once it is launched on the market, it is believed that it will be widely used by a large number of enthusiasts, but there is a hidden danger that people are overly dependent. Generally speaking, people will have their own unique preferences and collocations. If their ideal match is the opposite on such a platform, will it affect the user’s personal opinion?

On the other hand, from a health perspective, Cytoscape also provides the relevant data needed for the development of the program, it’s a database site used by geneticists and biologists around the world to map and visualize related genes and diseases. Assuming the wine or cheese selection is strictly in accordance with the show’s pairings, can health issues be much improved? If this program is really introduced, will you rely on the program to find a match or will you still make choices based on your own ideas?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38333693

3 thoughts on “Technology helps create a better life experience

1. I think you pose a very good question and for this particular topic I would let the program find me a match, after all we are just talking about wine and cheese the program probably does know better than I do. With that said taking something like this to a deeper level gets complicated, just because a program tells me to do something doesn’t necessarily mean I should or want to.
    Although, I do agree with your argument that technology can make life better I don’t want technology to govern my life. I still want to be able to make choices for myself even if they’re not the right one. Is it really your life if you’re making the decisions of a program and can you guarantee that those decisions are always right? I think technology is extremely important and can help with many things but you also don’t want to take it too far. At some point a line must be drawn but is it possible for all of us to agree on the spot where the line should be drawn? Or will people feel different about what’s too far and what’s not far enough?

https://www.governing.com/news/headlines/at-what-point-will-technology-have-gone-too-far.html

2. I think that technology/data science will make people’s lives better. The use of it is so engrained in society today (especially the younger generation) that it is hard to find something that doesn’t involve technology.
    According to the Harvard Business Review, they ask themselves have they hit the point of no return?If leaders of the business world rejected new investments in technology then they would have to face the unintended consequences of it.
    I think the technology discussed in the original post is very cool but could come come with some privacy issues. In concern to the health related data, yes it would improve the system as a whole to get a better pairing that is likable for you, however do you have to put your health information in? Or can you withdraw from putting your health information in?