Do you trust Cookies on your devices?

Nowadays, It is common to use Cookies on our devices.

Cookies are files created by websites you visit. They will track your online experience and predict what are you interested in, then save your browsing information to improve the next performance for the customer said Google.

However, if you go deep with Security Risk Analysts, you will realize Cookies can track every single action. Even if you denied the Cookies in some web pages, once you accept on one website, they will share the information about you. Also, they track not only in your one devices, if you search something on the laptop, and you log out, search in your iPhone, they still can use your IP address to keep tracking you.

It is fearful to think about your personal information being revealed to all the technology but it is hard to not use the technology.

So, here is some useful website that you can use for ten-minute email,

https://10minutemail.com/

Also, there is a lot web site that can protect our privacy, but it is not 100% safe, so keep your personal information by yourself.

This Ted Talk is really useful, I really recommend it.

7 thoughts on “Do you trust Cookies on your devices?

1. In my opinion, I do not trust cookies. This is because they can track you and I don’t think that it is right that websites have the right to track you. Sometimes, I am unable to visit a website without accepting the cookies. So, yes I usually do accept all cookies sometimes because there is no other way to access the website.

I also agree with you that it is scary that they can have our personal information with all the technology. These days it is so hard to not be using technology because honestly, technology will always be the future. There are new things created every day with technology that will just continue to improve. The other thing is when websites ask you to allow them to use our current location, I always press no because I think that it is weird that they can locate where I am and get all my information.

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-privacy-should-i-accept-cookies.html

2. Cookies can be very convenient. Cookies are basically little text files that contain data in them. Say that you go to a website rather frequently. If you allow cookies on there, it’ll save any logins and user preferences that make navigating the website much easier. The problem is, other than that convenient use, their only other main use is tracking and storing. Using cookies is not essential for every website that you visit, but is something that many websites use in order to be able to make money off of you.
    My problem with cookies, and most concepts and tools involved in internet interaction, is that we don’t have proper technology education in order to know what type of contracts we are signing and what type of actions we are allowing. This lack of internet literacy is on purpose. If people don’t understand what they are signing up for when they go online, this makes it easier for companies to make money off of them. The internet business model has always relied on what people don’t know and are not told. The website in my post goes into full detail on cookies and we should make it a habit to be well versed in these internet tools being thrown around constantly.

Source: https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/definitions/cookies

3. Cookie technology has become an essential existence with the development of browsers and network technologies. Although it is not trusted, it has to be used because flash cannot be discarded directly like Apple’s Safari browser which completely uses the new HTML language. As users attach increasing importance to personal privacy, it can be found in the data that, Around 2018, most browser kernels have been updated for cookies, limiting third-party cookies, browsers can only be compatible with specified frameworks. As we know that Google’s most income is from advertisement, cookies still need to be personalized to collect users’ clicks and history records. Now, disabling cookies will cause the login function of some websites to directly fail.
    Source:https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/131256002

4. Hi! I’ve never known a whole lot about website cookies other than the fact that they are used to track users in some way, which is probably consistent with the average person’s knowledge of said cookies. I’ve always been somewhat wary of the cookies and allowing them to track me, but at the same time I almost always reluctantly hit “allow” anyways to gain access to certain websites, whether they be for entertainment or educational purposes. However, I feel like this leads to a more general and widespread issue among internet users, which is that most of us don’t understand the data-mining techniques that are used to track our data every single day, but we simply go along with it because it doesn’t present any immediate or obvious danger. According to a 2019 article by the Pew Research center, 59% of Americans admit to not knowing anything about how their data is collected/used by companies, and 78% of Americans feel the same way about the government’s use of their data (Pew Research Center, 2019).

source: https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2019/11/15/americans-and-privacy-concerned-confused-and-feeling-lack-of-control-over-their-personal-information/

5. I think every website will have some cookies that must be used to keep the information on the website accurate, which makes them more or less default when you browse the website whether you agree to the use of cookies or not.

Cookies can be used by webmasters to detect our IP address to retrieve our device’s search trends and history, which in my opinion is a serious invasion of privacy. We can’t know which part of the cookie detection can be avoided by default after rejection, and whether it is maliciously used by others is also unknown. I agree with you that cookies are not completely secure and we still need to be careful not to reveal our personal information while surfing the web. `

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/definitions/cookies

6. Hi,
    I always have the accept cookies notification popping up on my phone when I am on the internet and never think twice about hitting accept. The websites position it in a smart way so the notification covers what you are trying to see so you can not skip through it without hitting accept or ex-ing out. I always hit accept, but never really knew how much information I am giving away by doing so.

By clicking that accept button, I am not only giving access to what I search on my phone but on my computer and other smart devices. Our IP address carries over from device to device so anything we search can be traced. I personally did not know any of this until watching the ted talk and reading the article so I found this post very informative, but alarming at the same time.

Source: https://youtu.be/jVeqAemtC6w

7. I feel as though in the past couple years every website as cookies and asks if you allow them. I get so frustrated with the cookies pop off because they come up on every website. I know this is bad, but I allow cookies on almost every website I go on.

I did not know Cookies can track every single action I make while on that website. I find it invasive that they can still track you from other websites even though you clearly said no to the Cookies. I totally agree with you that we should all be careful and try our best to keep our information to ourselves.

I have been very careless with what websites I allow Cookies to follow and track me and that is one thing I do need to work on. I do not let any websites that I am unfamiliar with use Cookies because I have a fear someone will hack me. I would definitely look into some of the websites that can protect my data, but I would have to do a lot of research in order to do that.
    Here is a website that talks more about technology and how websites can track you and follow your information.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/technology/facebook-tool-privacy-apps-websites.html?searchResultPosition=2