Google thinks smartwatches are the future again — are you buying it?

Quite surprising that google has not released a watch sooner but this makes a lot of sense as to why they haven’t. The article talks about how google had released several rumors about releasing a watch in early 2014 but it never happened. Google has been waiting to see what the ups and the downs of all the watches that are out now, which is very smart; “Google couldn’t make the smartwatch it wanted without a killer health and fitness platform, and until very recently, it simply didn’t have one”. They have officially bought the company Fitbit as well as all of their knowledge on modern knowledge on how people use these watches. With all of this info google has stated that they will use it toward making the product even better for the average person both fitness wise as well as for the average person that has an office job. In my opinion I think google can make watches a big thing again and can definitely surpass apple watches. They also plan on making this an independent device in the sense that you can do way more things such as searching the web off of the watch. I don’t see how they can accomplish all these promises but i am quite excited to see it. 

https://www.theverge.com/23389978/google-pixel-watch-wearables-fitbit-future

6 thoughts on “Google thinks smartwatches are the future again — are you buying it?

1. I think the aproach Google has taken is very interesting. Just from past events, I already have seen times in which google has released something similar to apple and yet everyone still chose the apple product. Why is that? I think it’s because Apple has completely taken over every aspect of social media and has done an excellent job as branding themselves as the best technology on the market. This whole senario actually made me begin to think about how frequent this happens. We are constantly seeing competitors try and one up eachother as well as almost copying what the other one may do. for example, when tiktok came out, it only took snapchat and instagram a few months to come out with their own version… but overall, the percentage of people that use tiktok vs those who use instagram reelz is not even comparable. And I believe it’s going to be the same thing with this new google watch.

2. I have an Apple watch and honestly think it is a great thing to have; however, I am not sure that we need another smartwatch on the market. These type of markets get super competitive and Google has tried to release competing products with Apple in the past that did not take off very well. I think considering the situation with Fit Bit a few years back makes it easy to understand how the market of smart technology works. The Apple watch came in new and unique to the market, which it did so well. With Fit Bit lacking in some of the features, we quickly saw people open to spending more money on more smart technological advances. If Google releases a relatively similar concept as the Apple Watch with about the same price, most consumers are more likely to stick to something with more history of success and reputation than a new competing product.

3. Since Apple already launched years ago their Apple watch, I am not that sure how people would buy the same idea and concept as google because they already have one and if not, they will prefer apple since it is the “brand” that everyone has and is worldwide known. Furthermore, I think that watches are still necessary because sometimes we don´t want or cannot check our phones and we need to know what time is it, google should create another idea or maybe a different concept of a watch since at least, I wouldn´t buy one since I already have apple watches.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/18/20872740/google-pixel-smartwatch-flagship-why-it-failed-wear-os

4. It’s interesting to see the approach Google took with this. It was a risky move, letting competitors create and benefit from being the first smart watches, while Apple sat back and just observed. I am definitely excited to see how they take the knowledge they have gained fro competitors and Fitbit as well in the upcoming years. Personally as an Apple Watch user, there are some things that could definitely be improved, aside from the fitness side of things. I just don’t see what else can be added to these smart watches. I can see improvements on the software, but I don’t know what can be added to it as new features. There is so little you can do with small hardware, so it’s exciting to see what they come up with these next few years.

5. I think this is a great thing for technology as competition always breeds even more thinking and innovation. Apple has long now run the smartwatch scene and the “Pixel watch” may be able to catch up or even beat the applewatch at its own game. However, I believe it will become a Google Pixel type of situation where it is a good phone with great features, but it hasn’t caught up to the well established IPhone. One feature Google is boasting is the fact that the pixel watch will be able to measure heart rate constantly compared to the apple watch’s 5 minute interval. The smart watch started off as a health device and it’s hopeful to see improved safety/health features for it’s wearer.

6. A big advantage that launching a product that isn’t original is that, it can analyze the pros and cons of the existing product and make adjustments to it. I think Google watches are still a good idea, but may not bring much benefit to Google. Besides that Apple watches are already in the market and perhaps would be biggest competitor to Google watch, I think watches are no longer a necessity for humans now. We have smartphones now, and that replaced lots of things in the past.