Web 2.0 Technologies in Education Podcast with Parhum Delgoshaei

This week’s assignment was to interview a colleague regarding the use of social media/web 2.0 tools in teaching/learning.  I had the pleasure of interviewing my colleague, Parhum Delgoshaei.  He is both a career educator and, in my opinion, also a career techie.  He is the manager of educational programs at the Consortium for Building Energy Innovation – http://cbei.psu.edu and GridSTAR – https://smartenergyacademy.psu.edu/gridstar/). He had many interesting things to say, so, while the guideline was to try to keep the podcast around 10 minutes, I felt that his responses were valuable and worth going over the limit a bit.  So I hope you don’t mind the extra six and half minutes it will take you to listen to our podcast, but I believe it’ll be worth the time.

I had some optional questions in case my original list of questions was too short, so I have a bonus podcast if you are interested.

The podcast (16 minutes 36 seconds in length) answers the following questions:

• Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
  • More specifically, can you please tell us a bit more about your background as a learner and educator?
  • Have you used social media and web 2.0 tools for teaching and learning?
  • Ideally, how should social media and web 2.0 tools for teaching and learning?
  • Why do you think there’s a gap between how social media and web 2.0 are currently used and they should ideally be used?
  • What have you learned as a result of working with these tools?
  • What suggestions would you have for someone who wants to incorporate social media/web 2.0 for teaching, learning, or professional development?

The bonus podcast (6 minutes 8 seconds in length) answers these questions:

• In your personal learning or professional development, what technologies do you find most valuables?  If you could only pick ONE tool (hardware/device, software/app), what would it be?
  • Can you think of a technology you tried that was a “failure”?  Why?
  • Can you think of a technology you tried that was very successful?  Why?

Aside 1: Power of Access

Today was another reminder of how powerful the web 2.0 can be in accessing resources (and in this case, people) that you couldn’t normally have access to.  Parhum is someone that is “out” working in the field of online, asynchronous courses, and, while I personally learned a lot from my conversation with him, now this knowledge is available for ANYONE ANYWHERE.

Aside 2: Motivation

Motivation has come up over and over again over the last few weeks.  Parhum brought up the concept of student motivation as well.  He mentioned that students are motivated when they have control, autonomy, and caring Relationships (Self Determination theory).  While this is especially important in an online setting, I could see how they could also contribute to increased motivation in a face to face setting.

Aside 3: Recording Hardware

I used a M-Audio Microtrack II (http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-9900-52278-00-Micro-Track-2/dp/B000VXKPZ6) with a stereo microphone (1/8″ input) to record the podcasts.  I also recorded them simultaneously on my smartphone just in case.

Before we recorded, Parhum and I discussed that the goal was an informal conversation.  With that in mind, the goal was to just ask the questions and record the conversation – the recording was the second take only because I messed up the introduction on the first take.

3 thoughts on “Web 2.0 Technologies in Education Podcast with Parhum Delgoshaei

1. Priya Sharma

Loved the bonus podcast, and to be honest, I started there and then moved to the first one! It’s obvious that your interviewee has a lot of experience with technology and I think what I found interesting was both his knowledge of the theories of learning and their progression, as well as his preference for concept mapping as the aid to learning. It certainly makes a lot of sense, but it was interesting to me to listen to him and note how often he mentioned the use of concept mapping for teaching and learning. I agree also with your peers that the audio is really excellent and that the podcast sounds very professional. Thanks for an engaging conversation!

2. Michael

Last semester I tool a course on instructional design, I believe her called in backward design, I really enjoyed it. Have you tired this in your classroom? One of the problems I run into is time, creating the lesson plans are very time consuming.
    Your podcast sounds great, I used my ipad and I can defiantly hear the difference. Have you made podcast before? I agree with Jerry, you sounded very relaxed and did a nice job.

3. Jerry Martin

Hi Jin An,
    You also sounded very relaxed in your interview, and you we’re very active; asking follow-up questions and clarifications. Well done!
    You’re right, I did appreciate the background Mr. Delgoshaei gave us on educational theory.
    I also liked his approach of ‘backward design’. Creating assessment material before lesson planning would keep me focused in lesson planning. The teaching material I am teaching now is sort of presented in this way, but I hadn’t realized its benefits until now.
    You’re right, your podcast has much higher sound quality.