Ted Talk Reflection

I completely underestimated the pressure of that sp0tlight. Once it came on I felt like my brain left my body.  I was  running through memory but felt disconnected from the moment. I could not stop myself from repeating phrases over and over. The TED talks I remember most are the ones where the speaker sounds like they are having a conversation with a friend;they are so present. However I feel like today I lacked presence and was also nervous to follow their friendly lead with such a serious topic like divorce.   I was afraid a joke would disrespect someone but looking back I think something lighter is what my speech needed.   I think I came off rather stiff and solemn but I wish I had been a bit more untamed and natural. The TED talk was something I could of had a lot of FUN with, but I cannot help but think I missed the chance.   Excluding my natural energy overall  led to a less engaging speech.    

Also throughout my TED talk I could not help but feel that I was generalizing too often and I ended up sounding a bit too preachy. In my essay I was allowed to have a gradual build up of details and facts placed strategically to convince my audience of my perspective, while letting them think they came up with the point on their own. However with such a lack of time throughout the TED talk, I feel like my order of thoughts was not nearly as smooth. I was so afraid my audience was going to miss the point that I tried to make it sound explicit. I think that may have come off a bit radical and instread of spreading idea, I was forcing ideas.

Overall even if I did not perform to the highest standards, I definitely learned from this experience and will take it with me. I will without a doubt have to make similiar presentations in my lifetime. We live in a world where effective communication matters and it is a skill I want to master. For now, I will consider myself a communicator in training and learn from the mistakes I made this round.