Genetic engineering

The History of a Public Controversy video that discussed the topic of genetic engineering reminded me about Gattaca, one of my favorite science fiction films, which also deals with this topic.  Gattaca tells the story of a normal man who attempts to compete with genetically engineered super-humans, and it attempts to portray the idea that there is more to a human being than our genetics.

gattaca-inspirational-movie

I have always found this topic incredibly intriguing, and I believe that for better or for worse, genetic engineering is the future of the human race.  I believe that our foray into genetic engineering will likely begin with relatively uncontroversial issues, such as birth defects or genetic disorders.  Gradually, I believe that the extent of permissibility of genetic engineering will broaden, encompassing nearly every trait imaginable, from intelligence, to size, to physical appearance, to athleticism.  The human species will accelerate evolution at a pace that has likely never been seen on earth, gradually drawing our species towards perfection.  Many argue that our faults are part of our personality, and that they define us just as our strengths do.  Although I certainly see their perspective (most lessons that we learn in life can be attributed to faults that we have to overcome), I still think that genetic engineering is inevitable.

With every passing year, scientists bring us closer to the reality of genetic engineering.  For example, researchers at MIT, the Broad Institute, and Rockefeller University have found a way to alter the genomes of living cells, adding or deleting genes.  These researchers are able to target specific genes that they want to alter, precisely changing the cell’s genome.  Currently, the goal for this technology is to help treat diseases like Huntington’s disease, which is likely caused by a single abnormal gene.  This treatment may even be used to treat HIV by altering the receptor through which the virus enters.  Although this method is not currently being used with genetic engineering in mind, it isn’t difficult to see how it could potentially be implemented in that manner.

This entry was posted in Technology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Genetic engineering

1. Elyse Mark says:

I agree, genetic engineering in the human genome is terribly fascinating. One criticism I had of the group whose presentation you mentioned was the emphasis on ‘designer babies’–while it may be possible in the far future to engineer many of the traits (superficial or otherwise) of a baby, right now we do not have the knowledge or understanding of the genome or epigenome to do so. IMO, the benefits of research into genetic engineering with regards to the prevention of genetic disorders/etc. far outweighs the hypothetical consequences. Interesting post!

2. Chris Loggia says:

I also remember watching Gattaca in biology and was incredibly angry when our teacher didn’t allow us to finish watching it. This topic has always intrigued me as well, but I also like to think about whether or not genetic engineering should be allowed. Personally, I am one of the people in the camp that says that our faults are part of what make us humans. I’m not a religious fanatic, but I do believe that we were created the way we were for a specific reason and I feel that falsely modifying human beings will bring many unintended consequences down the road. I’m interested in knowing where you stand on these issues? If it were up to you, would you stand in opposition to where the field is heading, or do you feel that the acceleration of human evolution is beneficial? Should there be laws that forbid modifying infants, or is that an infringement upon our freedoms?

3. Shannon Lachman says:

I remember watching Gattaca in my bioloby class in High School, it was a fantastic movie! I think you are right to fear that this science, currently developed with only the best intentions, could be used for causes that a much more “in the gray” in the future.