Regarding Nature

I consistently find myself feeling the most at home in my body when I am surrounded by the natural world. The sounds of water rushing and trees brushing against each other fulfill something in me that no other sound can. A crackling fire on a brisk fall day can alleviate any stress burdening my mind, allowing me to focus on the simple task of keeping the coals alive. And a cozy snow covered cabin can offer a reprieve from society, which is often not found in this day and age.

So why do I choose to live my life on a college campus filled by technology and the stress that comes with pursuing higher education? Well, I think the main reason might be my goals for a career. It would be quiet hard to get accepted into any law school in this world if the only things on my resume were my abilities to build shelter, keep a fire from burning out and my knack for foraging and hunting. I would be hard pressed to find any school that would take abilities such as these seriously, considering the credentials of nearly perfect grades and LSAT scores required by those hallowed halls of learning. I know that I must go to school if I want to succeed but a part of me wonders if I would find just as much fulfillment living a simple life.

You see I fear this last statement by Thoreau “when I c(o)me to die, discover that I had not lived”. I am afraid that some of the decisions I make will not truly help me experience everything life has to offer, so that when I die I am faced with the reality that I have not truly lived. I feel like this thought could scare anyone. The question of what as humans are we supposed to do has long been debated and in some ways it will probably never truly be answered. I have currently resigned myself to the task of experiencing everything life has to offer me, and this is what gives purpose to my everyday actions and decisions. I hope that this will allow me to come to a place in my life where I do not fear death/nothingness and accept it like a long awaited rest.

But regarding nature I believe that the best way for me to feel truly fulfilled as a human when my death comes, is to continue finding time to enjoy the simple beauties that the natural world can present to me. Not to commit myself to just a life of technology and organized society, but to find a balance between the natural and technological world we live in.

– Colin W Hennessy

2 thoughts on “Regarding Nature

1. I can relate to the way that you connect to nature. Whenever I go away for a period of time and disconnect from the craziness of life, I always feel refreshed. Even though we are on a college campus, I like the way that we have access to nature all around us, like Mount Nittany. It is great that you are trying to take advantage of every opportunity that you have here at Penn State and in the rest of your life.

2. Castro, a picturesque town in Cantabria, offers a more laid-back environment for dog training. Trainers here often provide home visits, which can be particularly beneficial for dogs that are anxious or have specific issues that need to be addressed in their home environment. Adiestrador de perros Torrelavega