A Jaunt to the Education Department: Studying in the Chambers Building

The outside of the Chambers Building. Image Source.

My stop for this post is in a place I never considered studying before until one of my friends extended an invitation for me to join her there and work on homework together. The Chambers Building, home to the Education Department, is located in the direct opposite side of campus from where I live, residing in northwestern corner of campus across from the library and next to the Psychology Department.

Rarely do I frequent this area of campus besides when I attend my english class or go to a psychology study, so I took my friend up on the offer and decided to explore this building a little bit more.

Inside the Krause Innovation Studio. Image Source.

Within this building, there are several different and unique areas to sit down and study in. Walking up the stairs once you first enter, you are greeted with glass-sided rooms and the Krause Innovation Studio, full of comfy chairs and tables to sprawl out on and do homework or relax with friends. Each time I walk past on my way to english, people appear to be grinding out homework and working on projects, however I never managed to stop in and study.

When I came to work on homework with my friend, we chose to skip the Krause Innovation Studio and instead go into one of the connecting bridged in the Chambers Building. These bridges are made of glass and connect the two sides together and in them they host comfortable booths with tables and plenty of outlets to plug in all your electronic devices. My friend and I immediately claimed one of these booths and spread out, working on homework in the quiet environment for over two hours.

The atmosphere these bridges provides is

One of the bridges in the Chambers Building.

unique to them. Even though you are inside the bridge, you feel connected to the outside world because the glass windows allow sunlight and birdsong to trickle in. It remains relatively pensive in there because there is a limited number of booths, meaning that less people can fit in there and therefore there is less noise and distractions to take away from studying.

Overall, I think this bridge has been my favorite place to study at. It has not only comfortable seating but also easily accessible outlets and large tables to spread out all your work ontop of. I got the most work done here and felt the most productive so I would highly recommend this as a place to study if you are in the area.

Onto probably the busiest stop: the HUB-Robeson Center

The HUB-Robeson Center, image source.

The HUB-Robeson Center forms arguably one of the most recognizable landmarks on campus to the typical Penn State student. From eating food to attending club meetings and seminars to simply studying here, the HUB does it all. Not to mention, the lawn hosts events and activities at least once a week and inside its doors numerous stands are set up aiming at getting people to attend an event, join a club, or simply be aware of an occurrence. Thousands of people walk through the HUB daily, adding to the bustling environment and slight chaos that comes to everyone’s mind when people mention the HUB (besides the expensive name-brand meal places that suck the LionCash out of their account too).

The HUB is in the mid-southern section of campus, walk a block over and you reach Old Main, walk a block up from there and you come upon the Library. The HUB is a convenient location for most science students, landing right in the center of a majority of the science buildings, and students who live downtown off campus, being a pit stop between the walk from campus to the numerous downtown apartments and houses.

The HUB offers several different areas to study, entering the glass doors on the first floor of the hub there are benches and tables lined up end-to-end that students congregate at to eat, socialize, and study. However, these are probably some of the loudest and most crowded places to study in the HUB.

Looking out at the “High School Musical” steps, image source.

Leading from the first floor to the second floor are the iconic High School Musical steps that people love to gather around and relive their elementary school fantasies. Yet these steps, too, are always crowded; a common theme in the HUB. They also offer no real table or anyplace to put your materials besides laying them down on the step around you, forming a rather uncomfortable and inconvenient study location.

On the second floor, there are numerous areas of comfortable chairs and side tables, some that look down onto the first floor and others that simply stare at the other chairs and people studying there. Off in a corner is an area of true tables and chairs but these tables are small and it is rare to find an unoccupied one, even at 8:00 at night.

Finally, on the third floor (and my personal favorite spot) are more comfortable chairs that overlook the first and second floors from behind a glass wall, muffling the roar from down below and providing an other-worldly almost god-like viewing experience. Here, it is also crowded although probably the easiest area to find chairs because it is not immediately accessible from the outside, you have to walk up an industrial stairwell that’s hidden in the HUB. It is typically a quiet atmosphere and therefore I find myself getting the most work done there.

Overall, I find myself revisiting the third floor of the HUB mostly because of its convenience. It closely mimics the quiet environments i focus best in, however if I have more time on my hands I will typically go find a different place to study just so I don’t have to deal with the hassle of crowded people in the bottom floors and the distractions that come with walking through these floors (such as the delightful smell of food).

Heading North: Studying at the School of Music Recital Hall

Standing outside the School of Music Recital Hall

This next location wasn’t even planned for me to stop at. As I was walking to a research study for psychology, I walked past the Forum to discover this beautiful glass building, the new School of Music Recital Hall.

As you may have garnered from the previous sentence, the School of Music Recital Hall is right next to Forum and relatively near the Pattee and Paterno Library, heading north. This area is a place I rarely explore, being a science major and stuck with my studies in the southern-central area of campus so it was a refreshing break from normalcy to come here.

This Recital Hall is a fairly new addition on the campus, replacing an old hall that used to stand there. Inside the hall it can seat up to 400 people and is the main venue for the School’s recitals and music performances.

What caught my eye was not only the wall of windows with tables sitting next to it in the Hall but also the availability of studying right outside the windows in the sunshine too. I acknowledged that soon this outdoor study area won’t be ideal (plus it was 90 degrees on the day I chose to come here) so I settled for the inside tables near the windows.

Looking out of the windows, you are greeted with the scenery of a beautiful garden and white chairs and tables surrounded by white concrete, making it a serene area to relax and listen to drifting strains of music on the wind.

Inside the entrance to the Music Hall, before entering the actual theater (on the left)

Inside, there were relatively few tables to do work at and all are bar style. There have been people here every time I have come, however it is usually relatively quiet (with exception of the occasional person studying there who can’t contain their excitement nor their vocals).

There are a few soft, pleather-style backless couches against the wall, however those seem to be a better place to sit and wait for something than actually buckle down and do work.

Overall, I found this place to be inviting and somewhere I could truly concentrate on my schoolwork since it is so far removed from the paths I usually walk on campus. I would wholeheartedly suggest if not studying here, then at least coming to admire the architecture of the building and the landscaping and how they come together to form a modern and beautiful scene.

Our next stop: Redifer Commons

For this location, I chose a spot where I, personally, would never choose to study due to what I thought would be a loud atmosphere and close proximity to food (a major distractor of mine). However, every time I enter Redifer Commons there are dozens of students scattered around the tables eating, studying, and socializing so I figured I owed it to myself and my fellow students to explore this popular study environment.

Redifer Commons Image Source

Redifer Commons, aka South Dining Hall, is known for its real-world type

Redifer Commons dining area as seen when you first enter

of dining experience, offering five to six different possible places to eat a-la-carte at a given time, which differs from other dining hall’s buffet’s and occasional coffee shop and grocery store. Redifer typically is very busy around standard lunch and dinner times (think 12-2 and 5-7, with a bonus late-night meal from 8-11) and it is therefore difficult to find a table to yourself that is undisturbed by the hustle and bustle of the eating students. During these times Redifer remains in a perpetual uproar, the clamoring din caused by hundreds of hungry students waiting in lines and eating their meals.

Even so, between meal times Redifer is a relatively laid-back environment with scattered students studying and dining hall workers restocking the food areas. Personally, this is the time when I would choose to study at Redifer. It feels relatively secluded and yet still open and not like you are hiding, unlike most other study environments.

Like all the dining halls, Redifer offers numerous different types of

The green study area in Redifer Commons.

available seating, from booths to regular tables to bar tables and from tables out in the open to tables tucked far in the back. For my study spot, I chose the green study area that overlooks the actual dining hall, a kind of secluded study area that houses only a couple of booths to do homework in but still allows you to feel included in the busy environment of the dining area it overlooks.

I would recommend Redifer Commons to people who like to be around a buzz of other people when they get their work done or to people who enjoy snacking during their study sessions (because you can buy snacks here, obviously). This area would work best for people who have odd times off in their schedules if they want to study to avoid the crush of mealtimes.

Overall, Redifer Commons is fairly conducive to studying in my opinion, however I tend to prefer areas more secluded and away from the rumble of people. Even up in the green study space, there are still people conversing usually, making it hard for me to put my entire focus into my work.