Passion Blog 7- Recovery Tips

We all know that exercise is great for our bodies, but did you ever stop to think why it could potentially harm us, resulting in injuries? These injuries could be a result of overtraining, which is basically your body telling you to calm down! We constantly walk a tight rope between adequate stimulation leading to progression, and a lack of recovery which can lead to overtraining. If all you do is train, then your body is not receiving the proper recovery that it needs after an intense workout. It is what you do outside of the gym that truly shows results. Here are some helpful tips on how to recover after a workout:

1. Sleep!

I know, I know. As a college student, it is hard already to get an adequate amount of sleep each night, but your body needs it. Getting around six to eight hours of sleep each night is not only essential for your health, but also for your body to recover for the next day a head.

2. Structured Rest

If you’re like me, you go to the gym every afternoon, and push yourself to your possible limits. But there are some downsides to always working out; overtraining! Deliberate rest days are essential for your body to get stronger. Taking a week out of every two months or so will allow your body to receive the proper rest and care that it needs. It will temporarily reduce weight and volume and you will even feel healthier the second you get back into the gym.

3. Stretch

Have you ever woken up the next morning after a workout and couldn’t move your legs without feeling the soreness throughout your entire body? We have all been there. But do you know why this happens? You don’t stretch enough before AND after a workout. Stretching is the most important thing you can do. It loosens your muscles, reduces lactic acid build up, and improves your circulation. Most people know to stretch before hand, but then neglect the idea of stretching after as well. It is just as important, if not more important for your muscles.

4. Avoid Alcohol, Drink more Water

Reading that title, your probably laughed at it and though “but we’re in college!” So what? Yes, we’re in college, but that doesn’t change the fact that alcohol i every harmful to your body recovery from a workout. From each drink you take, you are filling your body with toxins. Dehydration can cause much damage to your muscles and of course, reduce your recovery abilities. Water is the best component in helping your body recover. As it contains no added sugar, it will cleanse your system and help in making your body stronger.

5. Protein!

Proper nutrition is what is going to help you see results. If you workout then go and eat an entire meal at McDonald’s, you are completely counteracting everything you just did for your body. Protein is the main contributor in building muscle mass. Typically, I tend to eat a salad with grilled chicken or a grilled chicken wrap after a workout. When your body is deprived of protein, it makes it taste even better once you do eat some. Avoid heavily restricted diet programs, they are often unsustainable and do not facilitate healthy amounts of vigorous activity.

Whether you want to become faster, stronger or simply tweak your physique you need to introduce some of these methods into your overall fitness regime. It will not only make you feel better, but it will help to truly see the results.

One thought on “Passion Blog 7- Recovery Tips”

1. Kathryn,

This year, I have pretty much been forced into exercising, eating right, and getting a good amount of sleep. Over last summer, I decided to join our Army ROTC program in hopes of earning (virtually) a free ride scholarship for the remainder of my education. My involvement with ROTC this year in general is a long story, but the physical side to it is fairly simple.

As far as physical fitness requirements are concerned, there are two different tests that I have to pass twice a semester. Its called the Army Physical Fitness test, go figure. As a male, the requirement is being able to do 78 push-ups in two minutes, 81 sit-ups in two minutes, and run two miles in 13 minutes. The other test is the measurement of the ratio of my height and weight. These test are integrated into our weekly Physical Readiness Training (PRT) which is every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 5:50 am.

It has been a struggle to keep us with all these requirements, but I have definitely grown an appreciation for exercise. This is probably I enjoyed your blog so much. I guess I need to stretch more and eat more protein! Thank you for these tips.

Patrick