Image result for once musical

(Image: https://smugglersite.com/1358/once-the-musical-inspired-by-oscar-winning-film-will-premiere-off-broadway/)

Taking a break from discussing the widely knownbig hitters of the musical industry such as Les Misérables, Hamilton, and the like, I’ll be evaluating Once this week.  

Once is a 2007 romantic drama set in Ireland.  It follows two struggling musicians, vaguely named Guy and Girl, and their transformation from being strangers to falling in love. The film would later make its way onto Broadway in 2012, racking up 8 Tony Awards (which includes Best Musical and Best Lead Actor).  Perhaps it’s unfair to omit Once from the big hitter category considering its many awards, but it‘s not a work casual musical fans often come across. 

So, why should you watch Once 

First, Once beautifully represents the initial excitement and bittersweet realization associated with falling in and out of love, respectfully.  The film and musical have a rough-cut, indie feel that approaches the topic of love in a nuanced way – it’s not cheesy or melodramatic.   

It’s refreshing to find a movie centered around a relationship that doesn’t embody those pitfalls to some extent. Though I‘ll admit that there’s little plot.  If you don’t self-identify as a hopeless romantic or if you aren’t interested in character-driven works, you should steer clear of watching this one.  

But that brings me to my next point: the music HITS.  “Falling Slowly” is my jam.  The simple, repetitive guitar riff makes you sad and hopeful at the same time, not to mention the chilling harmonies.  It’s the perfect rainy weather music!  Even if you aren’t interested in watching Once, I’d highly recommend listening to the soundtrack if indie/folk music is your thing or if you’re looking for some 2000s nostalgia. 

I haven’t had the fortune of seeing the live production, but the musical version has received critical acclaim.  Beyond the fact that it won 8 Tony Awards, beating out Newsies in several categories, the stage production of Once is innovative.  The cast members play their instruments live on stage and become the “orchestra” when they exit the scene.  The backdrop is minimalist, as a bar and some peripheral chairs comprise the set.  In some productions, the bar is even used to serve drinks before the show and during intermission! 

Overall, Once is a fantastic emotion-driven musical that takes advantage of the audience’s experiences with love.  Its fusion of indie/folk elements with traditional musical themes and structure makes Once a unique and intriguing film.