Image result for 15 bhad bhabie

(Image: https://genius.com/albums/Bhad-bhabie/15)

Some of my favorite genres of music include alternative, indie, and pop, but I’ve always been that person who says they’ll listen to anything. A select few country artists like Kacey Musgraves and Chris Stapleton have written some of my favorite songs, while I can recite some old Nicki Minaj lyrics like nobody’s business.  

As time progresses and music evolves into new and different forms, there can be a lot of controversy about what makes good music these days. Additionally, platforms such as SoundCloud, YouTube, and others make it easy for anyone to create music to share with the world.  

The Rise of Bhad Bhabie 

Nonetheless, some famous people have gotten their feet wet in the music industry. A great example is 16-year-old Danielle Bregoli, better known for her stage name “Bhad Bhabie”, as well as her infamous “Cash Me Outside” meme, which was the peak of 2017 humor. Her album 15 dropped in 2018, and it’s an interesting listen.  

It starts off with the title track “15”, which alludes to her age at the time of the album’s release. She plays off this number to brag about all the riches she’s accumulated since becoming an internet sensation.  

My bank account holds fifteen times your life
Fifteen cars like I’m collecting those
Fifteen Fashion Nova packs, I’m collecting clothes 

Listening to this song truly makes you question your life. I’m 19, and what have I done except be overly existential and self-deprecating. Bhad Bhabie is out here dropping cash on cars while I’m just trying to make my campus meal points last the whole semester.  

But the real banger is Gucci Flip Flops 

Arguably her most recognizable song, “Gucci Flip Flops” (featuring Lil Yachtyfollows the overarching theme of the album: exorbitant wealth and flexing on everyone. The evidence is really in the name – Gucci slides retail for around $500. The chorus, while being incredibly catchy and lowkey fire, exemplifies the notion that Bhad Bhabie is so rich, that she simply does not care and will fight if you if need be.  

Gucci flip-flops, f*** it, hit your b**** in my socks
This a big watch, diamonds drippin‘ off of the clock
Pull the six out, wintertime, droppin‘ the top 

There’s just so many gems to pull out from just these lines alone. In a Genius interview, she explained the reasoning behind the first line, “If I have slides on, and I’m gonna fight someone, I’m just gonna take ‘em off. And I wouldn’t fight no one in a dress,” said Bhad Bhabie 

I love how she also talks about “dropping the top” off her convertible. She was 15 when this was written, meaning she couldn’t legally drive. But knowing her devil-may-care attitude that she espouses both through music and her online persona, she definitely drove anyway.  

Overall, there are some good and hilarious lines of rap off this album. Surprisingly, it’s not the pinnacle of artistic achievement in my opinion, but I’m also not a rap connoisseur. I wouldn’t listen to this album in full, but “Gucci Flip Flops” will remain an iconic song in my eyes.  

Rating 3/10