Image result for greatest hits remo drive

(Image: https://remodrive.bandcamp.com/album/greatest-hits)

Background 

Greatest Hits by Remo Drive is an underappreciated punk/emo album that seamlessly blends witty self-deprecation with an artfully unfinished, rough-around-the-edges sound reminiscent of bands such as Weezer and Yellowcard. Released in 2017Greatest Hits is the band’s first full-length album.  

Before diving into the musical content of, I think it’s interesting to note the title: Greatest Hits. A title usually reserved for seasoned artists with length discographies and plentiful award nominations, their choosing of such a title suggests almost an air of cockiness and self-assuredness. It would also suggest perhaps a boyish naivete, which is certainly a theme present throughout the album.  

The Review 

The album opens with Art School, which is my favorite song of theirs because it’s just funny more than anything. The lead singer, Erik, paints a picture of a past relationship with this hipster-eque individual with colorful hair. They’re kind of conceited and snobby, but they’re also “cooler” than him, which he reiterates in the chorus. They also can’t make it to any of his shows, but it’s FINE EVERYTHING’S FINE.  

My band
Somewhere in Dinky
My bad
Shoulda knew you’re busy 

More than just the whimsical lyrics, Art School has some great instrumentals too. It opens with a high-pitched noise caused from heavy distortion, and soon thereafter, drums start driving the rhythm as the guitar transitions into a power chord progression that is the foundation of the rest of the song. There’s also this sick bass lick that’s peppered throughout the verses.  

Another song I greatly enjoy is “I’m My Own Doctor” because it’s relatable. Additionally, it brings light to the difficult topic of mental health issues and stress that we all face as young adults/college students. Erik sings: 

I’ve been self-diagnosing all of my problems
Carrying all my stress in the jaw
I’ve got all sorts of health products
Aspirin and robo, and my new skincare wash 

As the song progresses, it seems he is in denial about his issues, and he reaches for alternative explanations as to why he is feeling depressed. I like the song because it isn’t necessarily feel-good or meant to uplift you, it merely acknowledges an issue many of us struggle with in a neat little pop-punk package that’s easier to digest than reading about mental health.  

The rest of the album follows these same self-aware and self-deprecating themes, but it’s not done in a sad or self-pitying way. It was one of my favorite albums sophomore year of high school because they were able to combine interesting lyrics that were able to tackle difficult issues while having a strong instrumental foundation making for catchy guitar licks and memorable bass lines.  

Rating: 8/10