Here’s to New Beginnings: Learning about Mobile Learning

One of my favorite ideas from this week’s readings came from Warschauer and Matuchniak (2010) when they were discussing outcomes. An iPhone sitting in the middle of a fire.They referenced Chris Dede’s (1995) “fire” metaphor on information technology, “Just as a fire radiates heat, many people expect a computer to radiate learning. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Rather, as Dede noted, ‘information technologies are more like clothes; to get a benefit, you must make them a part of your personal space, tailored to your needs’ (p. 10)” (p. 201). This is a powerful example of how educators, policymakers, and the general public should view any technology for any purpose. The big question is how do we instill a sense of passion or initiative in learners to take technology and really make it their own. How in a sense, can we add “interest-driven” learning to information technology.

Warschauer and Matuchniak (2010) reference Ito’s two primary categories of online practices, “ ‘interest-driven’ and ‘friendship-driven’ ” (p. 192). These online practices are broken down into three genres of participation by Ito and her colleagues (2010), “hanging out, messing around, and geeking out”. Warschauer and Matuchniak briefly discuss these genres of participation, but do not label them as such. Warschauer and Matuchniak (2010) note that “the majority of youth do not move beyond friendship-driven activities, but the more creative and adventurous venture into interest-driven genres” (p. 192). This is also backed up by Sharples (2013) when he discusses self-directed language learning under personal and informal mobile learning, “these were motivated, advanced learners, who were willing actively to define their own language needs and to select resources, tools and communication methods that would help them.”

I’m currently taking INSYS 549 with Dr. Ty Hollet, Digital Media and Learning. We are currently looking at learning ecologies, interest-driven and friendship-driven learning, participatory cultures (Jenkins), and much more. So as you can see, there is a huge overlap which is really interesting. I think a great way to challenge mobile learning is to look at it through connected learning.

Connected Learning outlined by the Macarthur Foundation

Credit: Connected Learning Research Network and Digital Media & Learning Research Hub

In a nutshell, connected learning looks to combine three spheres of learning: academic, peer culture, and interests. It is supported by and centers around three core properties: production centered, shared purposed, and openly networked. This is an extremely brief overview of connected learning, but I included a great image of connected learning as well as linked to a great DML report that covers this concept in-depth.

I was also really drawn to the idea of “seamless learning” by Sharples (2013). “Seamless learning implies that students can learn whenever they are curious, using personal devices and embedded learning technology to store, share and recall contextualized knowledge, creating an experience of continuity and the ability to switch rapidly from one learning project to another.” This whole definition is great and I feel like I could pick it apart for hours, but I want to focus on the latter ― “the ability to switch rapidly from one learning project to another”. This aligns with one of Jenkins’ (2009) “new media literacies” ― “multitasking, or the ability to scan the environment and shift focus onto salient details” (p. 61). He uses a fascinating metaphor of hunters and farmers to describe the shift in the need for multitasking (as a new media literacy) as our society “transition[s] from an industrial to an informational economy” (Warschauer and Matuchniak, 2010, p. 179).

Historically, we might have distinguished between the skills required of farmers and those expected of hunters. The farmer must complete a sequence of tasks that require localized attention; the hunter must scan a complex landscape in search of signs and cues of where prey may be hiding. For centuries, schools have been designed to create “farmers.” In such an organization, the ideal is for all students to focus on one thing; indeed, attention is conceived of as the ability to concentrate on one thing for an extended period of time, while the inability or refusal to maintain such a narrow focus is characterized as a “disorder.” Yet, fixed attention would be maladjusted to the needs of hunters, who must search high and low for their game. Schools adapted to the needs of “hunters” would have very different practices and might well value the ability to identify the relationship between seemingly unrelated developments within a complex visual field. As we look to the future, one possibility is that schools will be designed to support both styles, ensuring that each child develops multiple modes of learning and multiple strategies for processing information. In such a world, neither attentional style is viewed as superior, but both are assessed in terms of their relative value within a given context” (Jenkins, 2009, p. 63).

I had a hard time with the Pea and Moldonado piece. I felt as if I open up a time capsule that was buried in the ground for over ten years. This article was published a year before the iPhone was released to the public, which in my opinion, is a HUGE game changer. The authors talked about “data synchronization across computers” (2006, p. 432), which today is basically common ground with cloud computing. Jump drives are soon going to be obsolete because of cloud services. One of the eight features that Pea and Maldonado (2006) contributed to “the rise in hand-held use within schools and beyond” (p. 428) is a “stylus driven interface” (p. 428). Up until a few days ago (thanks Apple…), I thought these little guys were toast. I feel as if this feature could now be replaced with “touch screen interfaces”.

Dede, C. (1995). Testimony to the US Congress, House of Representatives, Joint hearing on educational technology in the 21st century. Retrieved February 2, 2006, from http://www.virtual.gmu.edu/SS_research/cdpapers/congrpdf.htm

Ito, M., Baumer, S., Bittanti, M., Boyd, D., Cody, R., & Herr, B. (2010). Hanging out, messing around, geeking out: Living and learning with new media. Cambridge: MIT Press.

Jenkins, H. (2009). Confronting the challenges of participatory culture: Media education for the 21st century. MIT Press.

Pea, R. D., & Moldonado, H. (2006). WILD for learning: Interacting through new computing devices anytime, anywhere. (Chapter 25).

Sharples, M. (2013). Mobile learning: research, practice and challenges. Distance Education in China, 3(5), 5-11.

Warschauer, M., & Matuchniak, T. (2010). New technology and digital worlds. (pages 179 through 225).

4 thoughts on “Here’s to New Beginnings: Learning about Mobile Learning

1. Rachel, thanks for the thoughts. I always find it fascinating reading other people’s analysis of my thoughts. This seems to be a reoccurring theme for me, how to instill this interest-driven learning in learners who don’t seem to have this motivation. Is it because they just haven’t found something they are truly passionate enough about to pursue their own learning? I find myself circling back to this question in my other class I’m taking as well, INSYS 549. We are currently researching connected learning and a lot of these same concepts that we have been introduced so far in this class. When kids want to learn, they’ll learn. I think it’s clear that we understand that. I really want to understand what makes those kids who want to learn, actually want to learn. Where does that motivation come from?

2. Hi Zach,

I really like how out of all of the pages and ideas we read about, that you focused on the question “how do we instill a sense of passion or initiative in learners to take technology and really make it their own.” This is so appropriate for a discussion on mobile because in this day and age, mobile devices are so customizable and they take learning away from a desk in a classroom and make it available anywhere, anytime. You apply the lens of connected learning. And this also could not be more fitting. What I find most interesting about this is that learning is occurring without it even being identified by a lot of the participants as learning.

I was glad to hear that you had a hard time with the Pea and Moldonado piece as well. I kept having to remind myself to look at the overarching goals and theories to get to the important lessons. Interestingly enough, some of the benefits they mention, such as aggregating across participants and enabling act becomes artifact do correspond to facets of connected learning.

3. Hi Kim, thanks for the kudos on my blog being visually interesting. And no need to step up your game, haha! I have a good bit of blogging experience and I work with multimedia daily, so I’m pretty fluent in this world. For your first time blogging, you’re doing pretty awesome!

I think it’s interesting that we got paired in the same group, and it’s probably not by accident. I work in the College of Nursing and you appear to be working with medical professionals. I’m curious to hear more about this online member community you will be launching. Is it a platform? Did you build it yourself or work with a team to build it or is this more along the terms of a SAAS (software as a service)? The instructional designers in my college and myself have been brainstorming ways to build a learning community with nursing students here, but it is proving to be more difficult than anticipated – probably because we are using Yammer and who wants to pay attention to an additional online space as you mentioned.

4. Zach, great post! Your blog is so visually interesting; I need to step up my game.

I really related to your discussion about connected and seamless learning. Today, I think we are all connected (in some ways too connected) and the different aspects of our lives are constantly overlapping. It makes sense that we incorporate learning here as well and I don’t think this would be possible without our mobile devices.

I mentioned in my opening post that I am working with a client to launch a new online member community. The goal of this project is to provide a platform for members to engage, collaborate and network. We are doing some beta testing now with a small group and they are talking about everything from what they did over Labor Day weekend to suggestions for teaching medical students to reactions to journal articles. I see all the aspects of connected learning and its fusing interests, friendships (professional networks) and achievement. It’s really interesting to watch and I think a great example of the seamless learning. One of the significant reasons for choosing the platform we are using was the mobile capabilities. Participants can receive real time or daily digest notifications and can reply directly from email on their mobile device. Not having to go to and log in to a separate platform eliminates a huge barrier of participation.

I like the hunter/farmer analogy as well and it ties nicely with our other discussion on 21st century skills. We are multi-tasking more than ever before and we need multiple strategies to process information.