RSS Feed

Work In Progress Blog #1

September 11, 2012 by Sam Lebold   

For the upcoming speech that we’ll be presenting in class sometime next week, I have decided to go with option one, and I already have the civic engagement artifact in mind that I would like to use. As an incoming freshman on campus, it was drilled into my brain that I needed to, in some way shape or form, get involved with THON, which is a great example of civic engagement. I signed up for a couple different clubs, took their information and read their e-mails. While all the groups that benefit THON do incredible things and support a terrific cause, I narrowed it down to Springfield, simply because of one flier that I had seen floating around campus. It’s a simple yet colorful flier that reads “Cancer… may the odds be NEVER in your favor”. Most, in light of the recent explosion of popularity of the trilogy The Hunger Games, understand this reference, and it really caught my attention. Ever since then I’ve been looking at and thinking about this artifact, and I realized that a lot of design and composition went into this, and it is certainly a rhetorical work. So for my speech, that is the artifact that I’ll be analyzing, and I’ve already got some ideas on what I would like to say about it.

»

You must be logged in to post a comment.