Any Helpful Hints?

Unfortunately I’m still a little torn when it comes to this advocacy project.  Now that PSU women’s basketball is no longer participating in the NCAA tournament my original idea is not as relevant.  I wanted to start a campaign to promote the creation of brackets for the NCAA women’s basketball tournament, but the kairos is not appropriate anymore.  My second choice was a TED talk about the benefits of supporting Penn State Women’s Soccer and culturally applying the Title IX Act.  This would be an easy way to really explain my ideas, express my reasoning, and connect with my audience.  However, a TED talk would not have the “spreadability” of a medium such as posters.  Within our group discussions about the advocacy projects, it was suggested that I start a campaign involving such a medium to make it easier and more enticing to attend women’s soccer games.

One way to do this would be to promote raffles that gave away prizes such as pizzas or merchandise (which would be only be supplied upon attendance at a game).  Methods such of this are already in use for the promotion of sporting events so I would have to get creative.  I could also get really obnoxious.  I’m still in the brainstorming process when it comes to organizing a campaign that would be unique enough to distinguish itself from such campaigns already in use.  Basically, I would have to make posters that really stood out and captured the attention of my audience by paying close attention to the rhetorical situation.  On the other hand, a TED talk could accomplish all my goals without limiting the time I had to capture my audience’s attention as much.  I like the idea of doing something new, but a TED talk really does seem like the best option.  I’m hoping I’ll just be hit by the perfect idea when I start to get down to the nitty gritty details of the project because right now I’m not sure what I want to do.  Please chip in with some thoughts and suggestions!

2 thoughts on “Any Helpful Hints?

1. I agree with Shqiponja that a TED talk would be a good way to go. You’d be able to express your enthusiasm for the sport and put a real face to the cause.

2. I personally believe that a TED talk would be a perfect medium for this project – it is informative, brief, and entertaining. Although it may seem tedious to compose, the end project will be more than rewarding. You could even make some posters or flyers with the link to your TED talk and hang them up around campus!