Week 10: How do we effectively integrate new digital literacies within formal education?

This course has been such an eye-opener for me. I knew about the Web tools for learning since many years ago. Two years ago, I designed and implemented a program to introduce basic computing skills and the Internet to underprivileged children between the ages of 10-12. I used free online applications and resources in order to help them expand their thought horizon on what is possible in the world of computing. At the time, I was already thinking how powerful it is now that free software and applications are available for the masses to consume. I explored many of the tools with these kids to show how they could develop their knowledge, skills, understanding and learning in any areas they were interested in – learning beyond the traditional setting in classrooms where the world is now within reach of their own fingertips. Reading Thomas and Seely Brown’s Arc-of-life learning (2011, pg. 17-38) during the 3rd week of our course reaffirmed the reason that I had for developing the program. The authors proposed that learning is happening everywhere, all around us, and that it will likely not be taking place in a classroom.

As we further dived into this course in subsequent weeks, now I understand that learning is not just about consuming information or knowledge. Learning in the 21st century involves new emerging media literacy and participatory culture that were described in detail in the Jenkins paper (2006, pg. 4). This notion was also stated in the article by Mancabelli and Richardson (2011, pg. 55) who offered the spectrum of distinction from learners who make connections as consumers to those who make connections as creators and producers in the online network. With all this in mind, however, backed by the Thomas and Seely Brown’s article, I am very convinced that, “although much of the new learning takes place outside traditional educational forums, we do not argue that classrooms are obsolete or that teaching no longer matters… believe that this new culture of learning can augment learning in nearly every facet of education and very stage of life” (page 18). As I have stated in my previous blog, certainly there will be individual differences, and some formal infrastructure is needed to help students “harness the power of almost unlimited informational resources and create something personally meaningful” (page 31).

So, what are the ways to effectively integrate these new digital literacies within formal education? As much as math and sciences and other subjects are streamed-lined across the curriculum from elementary to high-school and beyond, I believe that digital literacy also needs to be mapped and streamed-lined in subjects across the curriculum. As educators, we need to understand the factors to take into consideration as we help build learners’ ability to be digitally literate in effectively and productively gathering (consume), making (create) and sharing (communicate and collaborate) information and products/projects. Some elements to think of:

• The extend to which school textbooks would be appropriate materials to still use
  • The extend to which traditional and use of digital media should be blended for best educational outcome
  • The extend to which tasks are age appropriate
  • The rationale and strategies as to when and how Web 2.0 tools should be used to support learning in different classes
  • E-safety
  • Managing distractions
  • Policy for computer/laptop/mobile units in the hands of the students’
  • Teacher professional development
  • Providing guidance on copyright, intellectual property and plagiarism

As was indicated by Dean and Heidi in the voicethread last week, context is one of the most important elements to have in ensuring that learners make sense in understanding their learning and the connection to the world. Within context, educators also need to keep in mind the development of 21st century skills that are important to cultivate as they develop the task or projects for learners, such as:

• The personal and community values to embrace
  • The ability to critically think and problem solve
  • To work in a team
  • To effectively communicate and collaborate
  • To be adaptable
  • To be creative
  • To be able to self-direct as positive learners
  • To be responsible world citizens, etc.

Context, 21st century skills development from consumption to production, connecting with audience and social networks are all important considerations in integrating new digital literacy skills within the formal learning environment. Is finding and reading an appropriate article on the web the same as writing a blog? Is creating a game for one’s personal interest the same as putting it up on the web for input and feedback as in the example of scratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/)? Is taking a video the same as making a film?

I searched the web for examples of digital literacy in practice. I came across tons of helpful articles for tips and examples! Educators need to plan in order to best foster the different skills and making purposeful connections across related subjects. I found one planning tool for digital literacy in the article Hague and Payton (2010, pg. 47) that could be used by educators in ensuring that particular task or project includes elements of the different components of digital literacy.

source: http://www2.futurelab.org.uk/resources/documents/handbooks/digital_literacy.pdf

This is just but one example. There are many other examples, but keep in mind that it is important to plan and coordinate the teaching and learning so that it will be purposeful, from classroom level, to grade level to whole-school level.

5 thoughts on “Week 10: How do we effectively integrate new digital literacies within formal education?

1. Priya Sharma

Maura, I think you make very good points and most especially, I like that you focused your question on how to balance the informal learning opportunities with the formal ones. To me that is probably the most important aspect of how we move forward with new types of learning environments that seek to combine informal and formal environments and practices in the most meaningful way.

Reply
    1. Maura Post author

Dear Professor Sharma,

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. Very much appreciate it.

And yes, I do feel strongly that the challenge is how to balance the different learning environments to maximize learning experiences for the students.

Reply
  2. Marty

Maura, I absolutely agree with you that digital literacy should be consciously integrated into content areas across a curriculum. I can tell you that in my district, and in the other schools I deal with, integration of technology and digital media and literacy is quite weak, unstructured, and basically an after-thought.

I find this a crime, and quite honestly, it kind of makes me feel like a failure, because there are not more 21st Century learning opportunities available to the learners. Administration doesn’t seem to want to make integration of digital literacy a priority. Yes, they love to brag about any “cool stuff” occurring in their schools, but don’t really wish to create a formal initiative. Without admin pushing technology integration, faculty looks to maintain their current practices, whether it is from 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Sure, there are some good instances of teachers using technology, but for the most part, those are isolated cases.

So, after that rant, it is obvious why I agree with you that digital literacy would benefit learning if mapped across the curriculum. It would be a large scale process, and many of the considerations you offer here definitely apply, but I think it would be the most effective and efficient means to re-charge classrooms and content and teach to the modern students.

………..and your blog entry was a great read, by the way.

Reply
    1. Maura Post author

Hi Marty!

Thank you for your feedback on my blog. I appreciate it.

As I mentioned in my response to your blog, at my school here in Jakarta, 1:1 use of technology is well implemented. All middle- and high-school kids have MacBook Air-s in their hands. Service/maintenance support and other technology support infrastructure are well established (that’s a huge feat here as Apple products and support are not easily accessible). Policies and agreements for their use are agreed and signed (that’s another huge feat as our community represent 60 nationalities so we deal with quite varied parents from many backgrounds and expectations). So in that way it’s all great. The laptop is used in many classes and assignments and it’s great to see how they are being utilized.

However, I don’t see digital media literacy is implemented as well yet. There is a lot of research, and note taking and word processing and watching Khan Academy or brainpop. As in your case, I see it quite weak and unstructured in terms of having kids produce, communicate and share their products. Definitely there is not enough in the area of implementing it in a way that encourages a participatory culture.

Yes agree very much with you. Administration has to support, encourage and push the effort. Professional development has to be a big part of it. Maybe as just in my case, that part of the digital literacy is just not in everyone’s radar yet.

Reply
  3. Maura Post author

Forgot to include references. I’m including it here so that timestamp does not show late submission.

Hague, C., Payton, S. (2010). Futurelab. Digital literacy across the curriculum.

Jenkins, H. (2006). Confronting the challenges of participatory culture: Media education for the 21st century

Mancabelli, R., Richardson, W. (2011). Becoming a networked learner, personal learning networks: Using the power of connections to transform education.

Thomas, D., Seely Brown, J. (2011). Arc-of-life learning. New culture of learning: Cultivating the imagination for a world of constant change.

Reply