Adventures in Amsterdam

Amsterdam was a more recent addition to my list, because I always assumed it only had tulips and other than that, it was pretty much a normal city. I was so wrong. The Netherlands capital has amazing pieces of artwork and beautifully preserved historical buildings that transport you back into time. For those who want to experience the perfect blend of cottage core vibes and a solid party scene, Amsterdam definitely deserves a visit!

I think that the first thing I would do when I visit the city is visit the many art museums that are scattered on the streets of Museumkwartier (literally means Museum Quarter in Dutch). The most notable has to be the Rijksmuseum, a national museum that is dedicated to Dutch painting and art by notable artists like Rembrandt and Vermeer. Not only is it the largest and most visited in the country, but it is also home to the RIJKS restaurant that was awarded a Michelin star in 2016. 

Inside the museum - Rijksmuseum
The Museum is known for its collection of Dutch art

If you are looking for the work of Vincent Van Gogh, look no further than the Van Gogh Museum with paintings, drawings and even his written letters. Even if you just have a few hours to spare, these museums will give you a good feel for what Amsterdam’s artistic culture is all about. 

Van Gogh Museum's New Entrance / Hans van Heeswijk Architects | ArchDaily
The museum houses many Van Gogh originals

If you don’t take a trip down Amsterdam’s canals, did you even truly visit the city? With more than 62 miles of canals dug out in the past for defense, travel and water management purposes, Amsterdam is often known as the “Venice of the North.” In fact, the canals are one of the reasons why Amsterdam’s streets go in a circle to follow the canal routes. Touring these canals is a staple for any trip, especially if you are able to go on a self-guided tour with one of the many pedal boats.

The Canals of Amsterdam - Amsterdam Tourist Information
Aeriel View of Amsterdam

Visiting during Pride or a music festival? The canals often play a major part in many of the city’s biggest and hottest events

Switching gears to land, Dam Square is another tourist attraction that just screams “Amsterdam!” Although its true purpose is serving as a memorial to World War II and the fallen Dutch soldiers, the square has quickly become home to many of the local attractions. Right in the middle stands the Royal Palace, one of three in the Netherlands. The palace was notable in the 19th century when it became the property of King Louis Napoleon; today, it is primarily used for state visits, awards ceremonies and tourist tours.

History | Royal Palace Amsterdam | Royal House of the Netherlands
Interior of the Palace

If you take a 2 minute walk, you will also end up at a more contemporary attraction: Madame Tussauds Amsterdam.

Visiting Madame Tussauds Amsterdam - AmsterdamYEAH.com
Madame Tussauds in Dam Square

Check out the collection that spans from the Dutch Golden Age to now. If wax figurines are not your thing, there is still so much to do in Dam  Square like shopping, viewing more art, or simply breathing in history. 

Although Amsterdam was never a place I thought I wanted to visit, I am so glad that I had the opportunity to see it in a new light. Tulips are awesome, don’t get me wrong, but the rich culture is what makes the city even more enticing.