As a part two to my previous post on enhancements to calligraphy, in this post, I will be talking about another way to enhance your art through backgrounds. I personally feel that backgrounds are an extremely important part of calligraphy. Even though calligraphy doesn’t require a background, adding one can help make your art more appealing to the eye and add an extra creative element. In my opinion, adding a background makes calligraphy more pleasing to look at because it breaks the sharp contrast between the lettering and the plain background.

When looking for inspiration for a background, I often try to come up with something simple so that it will not distract from the main focus, the lettering. My default background is a tie-dye style that I make using markers (I will describe the process for making these types of background later in this post). However, backgrounds can be as complex as an actual painting or as simple as just a different colored paper. I try to think of the mood of the words of the calligraphy and match the colors accordingly. For example, for lines with sadder meanings, I tend to use blues, purples, and blacks while for happier words, I use brighter colors. I also try to use colors that are similar or that blend well so there are not sharp contrast between colors, which would otherwise be detracting. In order to keep the words visible, I usually make the background on a different piece of paper, cut out the calligraphy, and glue it onto the background. However, if you would like your calligraphy to fades more into the background, the words can be written right on top of the background.

Example of tie-dye background

As I have been teasing for a few posts, I will now explain how to do tie-dye backgrounds simply using Crayola markers. This technique is fairly simple and definitely helps elevate your artwork. I learned this technique from an Instagram video and have used it with other material to make unique backgrounds. In order to make tie-dye backgrounds you will need cello gift wrap (that clear wrap that goes over gift baskets), markers (not permanent markers, they will not work!), water, paper, and a paintbrush or stray bottle.

The first step is to get a piece of cello wrap the size of the paper or bigger. Next, using the markers, color the cello wrap in the design you want. The design can be straight line or random blotches of color. Next, spray the design with water (or dab water onto the design with a paint brush). Make sure that there is enough water to soak up the markers. If there is still marker ink that has not been soaked up by water, it will not have the tie-dye effect. Note that it takes practice to know how much water to add for the correct saturation of color! Press the paper onto the cello wrap and using the palm of your hand, gently rub the paper to spread the color. This allows the color to blend on the paper, making the continuous tie-dye pattern. Lastly, carefully lift the paper and lay it out to dry! It may take a while for the paper to dry because it is soaked in water.

Disclaimer: This is certainly not the best background I have 
achieved using this technique, but it is a good example of
 how the general process is done! 
Plus, often the words cover any imperfections!

The same technique can be done with paint for another interesting background! More liquid paints work better when using this technique.

Background using same technique, but with paint

Much like adding drawings to calligraphy, finding the right background takes creativity. It is important not to think too hard about what background you want to use and just allow the words to inspire you!